Sectional garage door, cheaper in stock sizes?

The last garage I did that, but this time I wanted the door as big as I could get, that made it a non standard size.  I ended up with an electric roller door made to measure by a supplier on ebay, for not a lot more than a standard sectional door and way cheaper than any local supplier could supply.

55 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Tomorrow I will be laying some footing blocks that will define a garage door aperture. If I scale my garage to a round door size figure will the door be cheaper?

If your going for a roller door They are all made to size

Just bought and fitted one from easi fit 

1200 including electrics 

Irish oak colour Would have been 900 in a standard colour 

3.6  w 2.2 h

58 minutes ago, nod said:

If your going for a roller door They are all made to size

It will be a sectional door. I have wanted one since visiting my brother in Seattle 20 years ago, they have caught on over here in recent years.

Think I will follow @ProDaveand go for the largest opening, I like how a sectional door frame tucks right out of the way behind the wall aperture.

How do you know custom size isn't cheaper?

Ages ago I was looking at a site for multiwall polycarbonate which did standard sizes but could also cut custom sizes. Wondering what the penalty for custom sizes was I used their calculator to work out the cost of one of their standard sizes. It was less than the normal price. I emailed them to ask what I was missing (e.g., do the standard sizes come with the sealing along the edges) but, no, that was right, it was just the way they did it and they didn't seem to think it was odd. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

44 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

it was just the way they did it and they didn't seem to think it was odd

I had a similar issue with a job.

Two identical, large pneumatic couplings.

One was a straight though, the other had a hole on the side.

The one without the hole cost more, no matter which way I calculated it.

Came down to there being more material overall and more labour involved.

Charged the customer more money for the cheaper one mind.

I wanted a sectional door as they are typically thicker and hence better insulated than a roller door - however sectional doors need a framework to retract into restricting what you do in the space above / to the sides - and also will block any lighting when the door is open.

I have opted for an insulated roller.

My roller door will be fitted behind the aperture (so the guides will not be seen) and the when fully open, you will only see about 20mm of the door below the soffit.

Edited by wozza

10 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

It will be a sectional door. I have wanted one since visiting my brother in Seattle 20 years ago, they have caught on over here in recent years.

Think I will follow @ProDaveand go for the largest opening, I like how a sectional door frame tucks right out of the way behind the wall aperture.

I think the section look nicer 

But the roller take up no room

Ravelling into a coil above the aperture You need 320 above the door opening for roller

I think the sectional need a bit more Pretty important to get this right 

I wasn’t sure which type we where using From memory I doubled up on the wall plate for this reason  

I agree with everything the guys have said. My opening is 5900mm and I have replaced a roller door with a sectional. In that width the roller doors looks a bit industrial when compared to the sectional. I was told normal practice is to fit either of these behind the brickwork anyway.

I do miss the roller door though in the sense that head height is compromised with the sectional door and half the garage lighting is lost when the sectional door is only even part way up. Lighting on the side of the walls instead of directly above is not the same.

I have had problems with the frame moving out of square resulting in the door rollers coming out of the guides. This should not happen and my frame is significantly braced, but it did. If it moves again the manufacturer has agreed to upgrade the rollers and guides.

I used to repair vehicles so a 4x4 or big suv was difficult to work under as I could never jack them up as high as previously  with a roller door.

The roller door tended to get dirty very easily with it rolling its crud around itself.  

The sectional door I bought increased in price over 6m (I think thats the dim given) as the rolling gear is beefed up to cope with the extra loads (catches a lot of wind a door that size). 

I would still chose a sectional again but just because its softer on the eye IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Ours was priced as follows, you pay for a stock size, then you pay for each cut. So an off the peg would be cheaper. From memory the door was maybe 1500/1800 quid then the cuts £120 or so. We only needed one. 

I’d make the hole the right size for the building then get a door to fit. Unless you are going so large you need to check you can get one ?