Fixing in to concrete

Up to now, I have needed to fix large  bits  of wood into concrete. And I'm (well, was) happy with that until I found myself reaching for a 10mm SDS bit and Thunderbolts to attach something quite small to the wall.

I'll soon be hanging a range of things into the concrete walls, from electrical back boxes, to shelving to  the  MHVR box.

I'm trying to use just one product - in the same way that Thunderbolts have served me very well for the last year or so.

Which single range of fixings would you use to fix stuff into concrete?

I would run a few tests if it is into the Duracell matrix.

I have successfully fixed wallplates for a leanto conservatory with Thunderbolts. Walking on the roof for access was fine.

If it is fenceposts in sockets into the slab, I would make post holes instead - they will wobble otherwise.

Also, prices on these type of fixings are *very* variable - cast a wide net.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Up to now, I have needed to fix large  bits  of wood into concrete. And I'm (well, was) happy with that until I found myself reaching for a 10mm SDS bit and Thunderbolts to attach something quite small to the wall.

I'll soon be hanging a range of things into the concrete walls, from electrical back boxes, to shelving to  the  MHVR box.

I'm trying to use just one product - in the same way that Thunderbolts have served me very well for the last year or so.

Which single range of fixings would you use to fix stuff into concrete?

I'd say get yourself some boxes of 6x40mm, 6x60's, 8x80's, those are good common sizes for most stuff. 8x120mm's are good size to have too, they will make quick work of fastening a 2x4 or similar down.

I bought about 1000 of those sizes last month just as general stock, all Fischer stuff. Cost about £30.

I must admit I like Fischer resin anchor and studs... but when it comes to back boxes, maybe overkill!

Spax do a range similar to the timco ones mentioned above. Available at MKM Southport which is near you.

Cpc carry decent Reisser concrete screws and they are online or the Preston branch is not far.

Use both on a regular basis with good results. The Dewalt wall dogs have been a bit hit and miss and not available in a lot of lengths. The thread is fast and it requires a 5mm pilot. Try buying a non sds 5mm masonary bit.

I don’t think you can have a one fits all, you are always going to need a selection.

14 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Thanks so much for the link. The video contained on the site was really useful.

'... Dont forget to over-drill by 10mm to allow for dust...' 

And there wuz I, diligently using a bottle brush and vacuum (just like @Onoff told me). Strikes me that on occasion overdrilling could mean going right through.... Teehee ?

22 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Thanks so much for the link. The video contained on the site was really useful.

'... Dont forget to over-drill by 10mm to allow for dust...' 

And there wuz I, diligently using a bottle brush and vacuum (just like @Onoff told me). Strikes me that on occasion overdrilling could mean going right through.... Teehee ?

News to me, I'm an advocate of the puffer.