slow draining toilet

lizzie

My en suite toilet is slow when flushed the water fills the pan to the top before draining down.  I have exactly the same model of w.c. pan in another place and it works as it should when flushed so leads me to think there is a problem with the en suite. This is fairly recent too.

I have poked as far as I can with a toilet brush and nothing in the way.  Google gives me all sorts of remedies with plungers and snakes and god knows what else.  Is there anything simple I can try before trying to find a plumber?

When you say recent do you mean the ensuite or the problem? Is it a new problem or always been slow?

I find a plunger works followed by a few buckets of water but it's not a fun job.

Thanks guys...recent is the last few weeks. En suite there for last year, I never use it apart from cleaning it Ive never flushed it.  Its OH bathroom.  I noticed problem when I was cleaning it last week. I tried loo brush and buckets of cold water and that eased it a bit but not much.

I have a plunger but what google said made it sound very unpleasant and tbh I’m not sure the one Ive got is big enough anyway its just a sink plunger.  Will give the very hot water a go next. Thank you.

Edited by lizzie

If a bucket of water does not help, then a bucket of water standing on a stool (step stool not the other sort) might help if the blockage is close to the loo end.

Have you asked the user whether they use flushable medical wipes, which are usually not flushable, or dropping .. er .. logs?

Take care to watch for annoyed anacondas.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jack said:

bellows-type arrangement

Used this in my last house, sons were too "enthusiastic" with toilet paper.

Messy job but did the trick. Not too expensive from Screwfix.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ive done half a dozen buckets of v hot....its improved a bit so having a rest and will do some more and see if there is any further improvement. If not its a yellow pages job to find a plumber on Monday......bet they wont be in a rush to do this sort of job either!  That plunger bellows thing sounds like a nightmare in my hands!

I do miss my handyman, I never had any worries at previous house, I phoned and he always came the same day and sorted out any issues with anything...I didn't have many though......sadly he retired to the Cotswolds just as we started this build.

Happened in my Mum's place. A diabetic with mixed dementia she'd been secretly eating KitKats and Battenberg in there and flushing the evidence to hide it.  The Dyno man was well impressed.

Has the OH got a sweet tooth?

xD

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Happened in my Mum's place. A diabetic with mixed dementia she'd been secretly eating KitKats and Battenberg in there and flushing the evidence to hide it.  The Dyno man was well impressed.

Has the OH got a sweet tooth?

xD

OMG @Onoff ......I dont even want to think about that!

Update.......third round of hot water has produced really good results.  I reckon I am 85% of the way there. Have emptied the entire hot water tank now so no more hot water for a while.  Will do another round with the hw and buckets in the morning but think I’ve cracked it.

Thank you @PeterW for that brilliant suggestion.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lizzie said:

third round of hot water has produced really good results.  I reckon I am 85% of the way there. 

Ban the OH from using it until it’s fixed! ?

Try flushing a bag of ice (preferably partly crushed, sans bag of course) down the pan... Worked for me. Similar principal to ice pigging... Forcing a slurry of fine ice down a pipe to remove deposits. Much more effective than liquid water.

5 hours ago, Conor said:

Try flushing a bag of ice (preferably partly crushed, sans bag of course) down the pan... Worked for me. Similar principal to ice pigging... Forcing a slurry of fine ice down a pipe to remove deposits. Much more effective than liquid water.

Thank you, one to keep in mind for future!