Avoiding squatters prior to construction work

Dan F

Hi,

We purchased a bungalow a few months ago and we will be demolishing it and build a detached house on the site just as soon as we can.  While we are almost ready to submit a planning application, it will still probably be another 4-5 months before we can demolish and start building work.

The bungalow is on a residential road and backs onto other houses., we have also been visiting the site weekly and the neighbours also try to keep a lookout.  Regardless, recently one of the patio doors was compromised and we found the curtains had all been closed and when we entered with the police there were sleeping bags/food inside.  We have now resecured the property but are thinking we need to improve security somehow to avoid a repeat of this.

Does anyone have any experience of using i) boarding over windows ii) fencing on front boundary iii) floodlights etc. to prevent squatters while a property is empty?  Or any thoughts on what might be the best option?

Thanks!

If it’s to be demolished And it was me  I would shut of all the services and strip it out,  take of the doors, remove windows and damage the roof beyond repair and put a cow in the garden. But it may not be your style......

Frame out the window and door reveals on the first floor and coach bolt thick OSB to make it look secure. 

You could reuse the OSB for summit on the build. Up here the council use metal plate and lots of signs but then again we have no squatters right laws in Scotland.

usually if it’s a problem someone sends the boys around 

PS anyone remember Swampy? A touring environmentalist from Bristol I think who had a big following after living up a tree on the route of the planned M77

Edited by Tennentslager

37 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Frame out the window and door reveals on the first floor and coach bolt thick OSB to make it look secure. 

You could reuse the OSB for summit on the build. Up here the council use metal plate and lots of signs but then again we have no squatters right laws in Scotland.

usually if it’s a problem someone sends the boys around 

PS anyone remember Swampy? A touring environmentalist from Bristol I think who had a big following after living up a tree on the route of the planned M77

AIUI Squatters Rights have never been a thing, except in rhetoric. Except for normal Adverse Possession after x years.

In England, Squatting in a residential property is a criminal offence and can be dealt with by the police.

As to security .. disconnect all the services, and possibly board and fit remote cameras etc. You will want those for your site, so get them now.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 9 months later...