Possibly inappropriate confession: but what else could I do?

Grrrr.... 'ow 'dya solve this annoying little  problem then?

The edge of our mezzanine is supported by a doubled POSIs.  The joists are joined by a simple metal plate (made by Cullen's), part of which is nailed on the top of the joist - like this.

20190306_123752.thumb.jpg.e72f3cbb1a5fdb52b45c711bee85ca49.jpg

In profile, the clip looks like this

20190306_123821.thumb.jpg.2ec5ed299532c777df762935ca6a0986.jpg

So far so good - until you come to put floorboards over the top. 

When a clip happens to ' land ' in the middle of the floorboard, you just cant slide the board into place.

I've tried using those very very expensive floorboard jacks - three of them. Nada, nichts, nuffin.

So (read this bit while checking a BCO isn't looking over your shoulder) I nailed through the top chord  (5 nails) and removed (angle grinder) the top of the clip.

Boards slid in like they were on rails. And they were in turn glued and screwed to the top chord.

How do normal ( for that read ' experienced ' ) people solve the problem?

Rout out a recessed area in the back of the board so the clip sits up into a recess?

Put the clip on the inside of the chords, and that funny sticky out bit that would then be outside, grind it off.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

[...]

Put the clip on the inside of the chords, and that funny sticky out bit that would then be outside, grind it off.

[...]

Both top and bottom board clips point ' into' the POSI ..... but I like your thinking.

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Errr.. same as you !!!

That a relief then. Excellente tennente!

Put the board in place, wallup it down with a heavy mallet to leave a mark on the bottom of the board, turn it over and route out (or angle grind) a space for the clip. Simples ?.

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Your learning 

keep it up. ??

Thanks.

I'm starting to enjoy it all a bit more now. And just as I'm getting reasonably  competent, and frankly a good deal less worried about guidelines and authority, I'll have finished....

2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Thanks.

I'm starting to enjoy it all a bit more now. And just as I'm getting reasonably  competent, and frankly a good deal less worried about guidelines and authority, I'll have finished....

Had a slight chuckle there,  you're never really finished. 

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

and frankly a good deal less worried about guidelines and authority

Ah, this is what I have to look forward to. 

Neophyte here. Any tips? Which guidelines and authorities can I practice not worrying about?

Edited by Dreadnaught