How to hang Easi Joist

Pigsfoot

Hi,

We are building a two story extension off the side of our property. The outside wall which will eventuality become a new internal wall is a 9" solid brick wall. We are using easi joists for the floor joists but i am unsure how to hang them from the 9" solid wall.

The manufacturer seems to suggest i need to use joist hangers hung straight off the brick work but as its a solid brick wall there is no way i can nail into it so the only option would be drill, raw plug and screws. The issue is every hanger would need min 6 - 8 screws and i have 22 joists to hang.

I was wondering if i could bolt timber to the wall and then nail the joist hangers to that, the concern being would it all be strong enough to support the floor ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

An 8x2 or 9x2 wall plate will be fine for joist hangers to sit on, assuming it can bear both ends on a wall then the bolting becomes a simple M16x150 at 600 centres. 

My query though is why is the engineer going side to side rather than run parallel to the existing wall..?? If they go parallel then this issue goes away 

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

I'd still let floor designer specify ledger board and fixing schedule. Just tell them how you want it and let them do the math 

Given the size of the room being discussed, I'm with you on that !

@PigsfootI would ask them to factor in a wall plate into the design, that is mechanically fixed to the wall. Given you have a 9" solid wall, I would not be accepting a solution that uses brackets direct on the wall as they will be a pain to install straight and level.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pigsfoot said:

[...]

We are using easi joists for the floor joists but i am unsure how to hang them from the 9" solid wall.

[...]

I was wondering if i could bolt timber to the wall and then nail the joist hangers to that, the concern being would it all be strong enough to support the floor ?

[...]

Yes: that exactly what we did.

The joist designer  (or other competent person) will determine the spec of the timber wall plate / rim plate / pole plate. There is no need for you to be concerned at all.

Joist designers feed the relevant parameters into a piece of software  (like this ) and it churns out the specifications. You can have a look at the print outs - I did for ours - quite interesting in a nerdy way. 

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. I did speak to a designer at Wolf Systems  ( Easi Joist ) today and he confirmed it would be OK but i just need to speak to the company providing the joists to have the dimensions changed to include the Wall Plate and add in the top chord. I will also mention the end of the room upstairs is an En-Suite with hopefully a bath going in so just need to check everything can take the weight.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry to resurrect an old post.

I seem to be having an issue with getting the ledger board size out of anyone. The floor designer keeps saying hes waiting for someone to get back to him and my architect won't commit so i guess I'm going to have to find a structural engineer to help. Just out of interest has anyone had a similar ledger plate put in, my joists are 254mm deep and 5.9 mtr long ( easy joists ). They will be supporting a std floor however there will be a en-suite which will have a bath in. One side to be supported by the ledger board, the other on a cavity wall.

Any suggestions on wall fixings too, its been suggested to use 12mm threaded rod glued into place using resin at 400mm centers.

Thanks

You're into 9" solid brick so I would expect that 12mm studs drilled to 150mm, resin glued and washers/nuts should be fine at 400mm centres however on a 10" ledger board I would stagger them at 50mm from top and bottom of the board.

thanks @PeterW, much appreciated so a zig zag type of layout for the studs. Any suggestions on the size of the ledger board i read on another forum that someone used 200 x 75mm which to be fair sounds like a monster but i imagine woudl do the job ?

2 hours ago, Pigsfoot said:

Just out of interest has anyone had a similar ledger plate put in, my joists are 254mm deep and 5.9 mtr long ( easy joists ).

Yours are the same size as mine and my ledger plate was 250mm x 50mm.

Thanks Russell, i believe the top chord is 54mm deep so I will have 200mm left to play with hence why i think is the ledger board should be 200mm long as it

will then sit flush with the bottom of the joist and provide surface contact all the way down the joist as you have mentioned. I have put together a simple drawing to try and explain what i mean.

If the top chord turns out not to be quite 54mm i will adjust the ledge board width to accommodate.

Untitled-1.jpg.75ffff11278b8353fd9c16edc9f39ac2.jpg