Shipping Container Hire

dogman

Hi

Anyone know where i can get a shipping container cheaper than £12 +vat per week. 6 months including delivery and collection works out at £760. Does not matter if 10 or 20 foot as both same price

seems a bit steep to me as you can buy one for about £1000

We range round a number of local places and that was about the going rate. in hindsight as we ended living on site I wish we had brought a large solid wood workshop that we could have used after the build as little was actually stored in it and as soon as the building was secure which was a few weeks after the frame went up most of the materials were stored in there

I went through your pain and in the end just bought one. I paid £1,900 + VAT for a 20ft container which was "new" (they are never new but actually come over with one load and then are sold).

Second hand prices are strong so you'll easily sell it again. Plus if (no when :)) your project overruns you'll not be shelling out more.

Well I started renting one as we were supposed to get the large workshop built quickly and move everything into that but planners being what they are it got dragged out. Anyway the guy offered to sell me the 20 ft container I was renting but when I said I had already paid a years rental he offered to take that as part payment. So, not only do I own my container now but the workshop is finished and it's better to keep the workshop for working and keep the crap ( sorry building materials) in the container so it's worked out well. People tell me I will keep it after the build but I will only fill it with stuff that I should throw away and don't want to accumulate more rubbish. Mine will be for sale in about two years in Devon if anyone is in the market!.

I also bought a 'new' one for about £2k. I liked it so much I bought a second one.

Really useful things containers - and when you consider what you get for the money they are remarkably cheap. You can get them a lot cheaper if you don't mind them being a bit beat up.

I bought a converted container that has a 10' site office with secure door, window, laminate floor, insulated & plastered walls & ceiling and power & lighting. The rest is 15' of general storage (I insulated the ceiling with 50mm EPS to prevent condensation) and the traditional container doors to the rear.

Was about £1600 on ebay and I paid £300 for one way HIAB transport to site (was about 30-40 miles away).

The site office has been great for me and also all the trades and a secure place to store tools & materials overnight. I have the BT line terminated there with our DSL router there using powerline to transfer it to the caravan and to the house itself for the PV monitor.

We packed the rear part with our own possessions, saving a fortune on storage costs. Have been using damp sticks to control humidity, all seems fine.

May actually get to unpack it all next week if the painters are finished in the basement - that will be a red letter day!

Hope to sell it on for pretty much what I paid for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stones said:

I quite like the thought of being able to use a container during the construction phase, and on completion cladding it with timber and using it as an ancillary building / shed.

Which is precicely what I am doing with my Static 'van.

(Oh no, I've brought the C word into the conversation) :ph34r:

On 8/10/2016 at 13:03, worldwidewebs said:

Well these are cheaper than I was expecting! 

I wonder if Openreach will be happy terminating a new line at one and then move it myself later on...

OR have no issue terminating a line to one, but moving it yourself may be a challenge.

Obviously it first depends where it is on your site in relation to the finished property - i.e. if you have enough cable.

Ours is in front so the existing drop wire would be too short to reach the house (not that we want a DW, rather an underground duct).

If it was behind/along side then in theory you would be able to move it but legally you're not allowed to interfere with the cable before the master socket - considered 'trespassing on the network'. 

You'd probably be OK but not sure what would happen if it didn't work and you needed them to fix it.

21 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

OR have no issue terminating a line to one, but moving it yourself may be a challenge.

Obviously it first depends where it is on your site in relation to the finished property - i.e. if you have enough cable.

Ours is in front so the existing drop wire would be too short to reach the house (not that we want a DW, rather an underground duct).

If it was behind/along side then in theory you would be able to move it but legally you're not allowed to interfere with the cable before the master socket - considered 'trespassing on the network'. 

You'd probably be OK but not sure what would happen if it didn't work and you needed them to fix it.

I had a wire that went through a wood - it took 3 attempts to get BT to go to a duct as it regularly was snapped by branches in the wind ..! Even the engineers said it was mad not being in a duct. 

Shame when they came to reconnect it the master box and wire were 20 yards away from where they started.... :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

On my first build, we moved into the static 'van before the house was built. When BT (pre Open Reach days) came to install the line into the 'van, they just left a long coil of spare SWA cable, in the knowledge that I would route it into the house when it was built.

I'm currently paying £130 a month for a self storage unit smaller than a 20ft container... So this thread has just been a bit of an epiphany for me!

I need a shipping container!!!

Even renting at £12 per week will save me considerably!

Does anyone have any recommended companies in Devon or Cornwall?