Use for spare rockwool

curlewhouse

A few years ago we were trying to buy a remote property which had not been lived in since the 1970's so it was a big project. Solid stone walls and zero insulation anywhere. The long and the short is that the seller decided not to sell after all and sadly the house stands empty to this very day. Anyway, at the time there were some crazy bargains to be had with rockwool  so I took the opportunity and bought enough to do the proposed loft to a depth of about 2 feet! So since the project fell through I've had this stuff stored.  Our house is to be built with SIPs and real stone outer wall, so there's not an obvious use now for all this rockwool, and our house will not actually have a loft - any thoughts on the best use I can make of it?

I have thought about using it in my stud walls for soundproofing, maybe the bedrooms, particularly as my wife is a nurse and often needs to sleep during the day, so extra quiet would be good. Now obviously it will slump in such an application, but I'm sure I could find a way to support it, and there's no shortage of the stuff if I just had to keep stuffing..... or between the floors for the same reasons maybe? 

Any thoughts? 

Yep, use it in the stud walls and between your floors in the joists. Strips of fabric or polythene stapled diagonally, herringbone style, should hold it in long enough before plastering. We are just about to buy our insulation for the same job, but ours will be the stuff designed not to slump when pushed into the cavities.  

It's a requirement now to insulate between partition walls and internal floors, mainly I believe,  for acoustic reasons. I know Jeremy used standard insulation packed tight in his partition walls instead of the acoustic stuff as it's cheaper.

11 hours ago, JanetE said:

Yep, use it in the stud walls and between your floors in the joists. Strips of fabric or polythene stapled diagonally, herringbone style, should hold it in long enough before plastering. We are just about to buy our insulation for the same job, but ours will be the stuff designed not to slump when pushed into the cavities.  

It's a requirement now to insulate between partition walls and internal floors, mainly I believe,  for acoustic reasons. I know Jeremy used standard insulation packed tight in his partition walls instead of the acoustic stuff as it's cheaper.

Staple the stuff itself to studs with a staple gun?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Plasterboard one side of the studs and then just stuff it in there. Cut it into smaller sections and lay it widthways and it'll stay in place without help. Or, do half length drops and glue the tops with aerosol spray glue ( like carpet glue ) and it'll stay put. 

Fine fishing line is a method I use for overhead work, in conjunction with a staple gun, zig-zagging at ~600mm intervals. Staple on the sides of the joists, not the face, to keep the joist faces clear. 

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Staple the stuff itself to studs with a staple gun?

Thanks.  We'll prob do this as well  About half our studwork partitions are racked using polythene strips on the far side just makes it easier to keep in.  We've got insulation above and below our MVHR ducting and we stabled the upper layer into position.  We've still got to do the bulk of the insulation -- last job in firs tfix.  We'll have to see whether it's quicker then just stapling the insulation.