Rising Butt Hinges

Ferdinand

As I wrote elsewhere I spent last weekend fitting laminate floorIng with an acquaintance. 

They have used rising butt hinges throughout their house, and I was wondering whether anyone has used these in their self-build, and if not why not.

I had forgotten how much pfaff they save ... all you do is list the door off, and lean it against the wall.

https://www.ironmongeryonline.com/blog/diytips/how-and-when-to-fit-rising-butt-hinges/

Ferdinand

I used them once. There specific use is to make a door self closing.  Sometimes (usually?) you don't want that.

I also recall having to shave some off the corner of the top of the door as they had risen to the point of touching the top of the frame before the corner of the door cleared the frame fully.

I was always told a rising butt hinge is not a self closer. Building Control & Fire Brigade would not accept them in my experience. Appr Doc B states a self closer must be able of closing the door against the resistance of the latch. In dwellings there are not many instances where a fire door needs a self closer!

Interesting stuff. 

Thanks for all the comments.

14 hours ago, ADLIan said:

I was always told a rising butt hinge is not a self closer. Building Control & Fire Brigade would not accept them in my experience. Appr Doc B states a self closer must be able of closing the door against the resistance of the latch. In dwellings there are not many instances where a fire door needs a self closer!

It may be others than BC - eg the various forms of landlord regulator, HMO departments, Env Health, and others. Tenant Parents worried about their small children being trapped in or out of bedrooms is a regular thing.

I am not aware if eg proper fire alarm arrangements count as a mitigation, which in theory they should.

A classic similar situation is thumbturn locks to external doors imposed by Authorities to make sure that Ts losing the keys can get out. The T can see that as "now my three year old can get into the road and be run over". There may also be a slight security issue.

Sometimes these are honoured in the breach, sometimes they are enforced. 

F

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

My last place we installed LOOSE PIN hinges, I found building the house I had the doors off and on half a dozen times with painting and floor fitting 

i will be fitting them again on this place, but I’m struggling to find nice ones at the moment, once again will probably buy a product abroad

SF & TS both do them in zinc plated or brass. Ironmongery Online & Locks Online too.