Luxury HMO

Pocster

5 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

random question alert... 

Do you market the hmo through an agent? and how is it targeted to avoid some less desirable tenants?

Extremely good question 

I choose and manage !

Previous to this refurb a girl in the hmo did extreme self harm , smashing the place and herself up , drugs , ‘alleged rape ‘ ( house taped off by police ) . Acted suicide attempts - forgive the lack of compassion- but it wasn’t a real attempt .Police / ambulance were there 9 times in 4 weeks.

Did my head in a bit !

Oops ! The question ! How to avoid less desirables ? (expletive deleted) knows ! . I go on my own list - which would make me sexist , racist , anti everything . HMO’s are hard work ; you earn your money with just one bad tennant ....

Edited by pocster
Knob very small

8 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Wow.... how the other half live........ 

Oh that’s nothing !

shit smeared on walls

fights ( with me or others )

smashed a sink apart with his head !!!!

drugs 

alcohol

blackmail 

alleged rape 

criminal damage

not paying rent ( lol ; the easy one )

everything you you can think of ; and not think of bar a dead body - and I’m sure that’s due .....

Greedy landlords ; money for nothing .... yeah right ..... 

Edited by pocster

Years ago we rented a maisonette out. We used a letting agency to supposedly make life straightforward and for that service they took a decent chunk of the rental money but they dealt with the tenant, and made regular inspections (supposedly). Until that is the tenant stopped paying. They contacted us and told us and asked what we expected them to do about it when we asked them to deal with it.

We turned up at the maisonette to find that the tenants had done a bunk. The maisonette was a new build with new carpets, magnolia walls etc. I emphasise the word ‘was’. The tenants had wrecked the place. They’d had cats in there that had shit / squits literally anywhere you can imagine; kitchen worktop, carpets, hob, everywhere! They had left bags of decomposing stuff in there (god knows what, we didn’t look), that had turned to maggots and swarms of flies. There was vomit all over the bedroom carpets that had been left to dry and the stomach acid had bleached the pale grey carpets in vomit spatter patterns. There were used condoms and syringes everywhere. I don’t need to explain what the bathroom looked like other than it was brown rather than white, and they had ‘redecorated’. They must have been to the pound shop and bought endless single rolls of wallpaper and borders, and literally put them up one by one. Endless different patterns and colours. Rather than trim the wallpaper they had pasted it up over the ceiling and over the skirting to avoid cutting it. The border was put up with drawing pins. There were letters from debt collectors, the police, benefit fraud investigators. Stuff of nightmares. My one and only foot in the rental camp, we sold up and got out as soon as we had spent money (more than they ever paid in rent) tidying the place up. 

Makes me laugh when people talk about landlords in such disparaging tones ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Years ago we rented a maisonette out. We used a letting agency to supposedly make life straightforward and for that service they took a decent chunk of the rental money but they dealt with the tenant, and made regular inspections (supposedly). Until that is the tenant stopped paying. They contacted us and told us and asked what we expected them to do about it when we asked them to deal with it.

We turned up at the maisonette to find that the tenants had done a bunk. The maisonette was a new build with new carpets, magnolia walls etc. I emphasise the word ‘was’. The tenants had wrecked the place. They’d had cats in there that had shit / squits literally anywhere you can imagine; kitchen worktop, carpets, hob, everywhere! They had left bags of decomposing stuff in there (god knows what, we didn’t look), that had turned to maggots and swarms of flies. There was vomit all over the bedroom carpets that had been left to dry and the stomach acid had bleached the pale grey carpets in vomit spatter patterns. There were used condoms and syringes everywhere. I don’t need to explain what the bathroom looked like other than it was brown rather than white, and they had ‘redecorated’. They must have been to the pound shop and bought endless single rolls of wallpaper and borders, and literally put them up one by one. Endless different patterns and colours. Rather than trim the wallpaper they had pasted it up over the ceiling and over the skirting to avoid cutting it. The border was put up with drawing pins. There were letters from debt collectors, the police, benefit fraud investigators. Stuff of nightmares. My one and only foot in the rental camp, we sold up and got out as soon as we had spent money (more than they ever paid in rent) tidying the place up. 

Makes me laugh when people talk about landlords in such disparaging tones ... 

Unfortunately nothing you described surprises me . Seen pretty much all that . When most people experience that they do exactly as you have done - sell up and get out - can’t blame you !

Bizarrely as a full time landlord you become use to it and can anticipate an issue . Not a job for the faint hearted ? 

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Bizarrely as a full time landlord you become use to it and can anticipate an issue . Not a job for the faint hearted ? 

Not something I would be in a hurry to do again for sure! 

Just now, newhome said:

Not something I would be in a hurry to do again for sure! 

Understand completely.

But once you’ve seen shit up walls or some drunken (expletive deleted) wants a fight - it’s simpky round the loop we go . Hence Cctv in my new hmo ; for the protection of my property and the other ‘normal’ tenants.

What people do never surprises me any more ....

5 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Have you now gone for the "luxury" to try and weed some mentalists out a bit?!?

Something I'm looking into at the moment but not sure if I can stomach the hassle!

Yeah kind of 

So rent is higher , deposit higher . Doesn’t guarantee anything . Job type helps “IT professional “ , “ works as engineer “ - these things do eliminate certain types ( forgive judgemental tone - but I have to be ! ) .

Nicer place = nicer tenants ....

I’m trying to move up a few notches ?

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Job type helps “IT professional ”

Ha ha! Given that (apparently) only around 50% of the guys wash their hands after going to the loo and the gents is always simply disgusting to the extent that you wonder if they actually know how to use a loo (according to some of the blokes I work with) I’m not sure IT professionals are necessarily decent tenant material. They do probably have money to pay for a cleaner however ... 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Where is the tundish on the tank PReV and who signed it off ....??? Looks like both the relief on the tank and the relief on the PRV go to a single 15mm pipe..??

But what about the wallpaper!! ?

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Where is the tundish on the tank PReV and who signed it off ....??? Looks like both the relief on the tank and the relief on the PRV go to a single 15mm pipe..??

M

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Umm erm ! . Not all in view - but not sure what you should be seeing !

So there should be a tundish in the output pipe from the PReV (tank one) within 500mm of the valve. If the relief pipes are combined from the inlet group (big thing with a red and grey cap) and the tank then they should be increased to a minimum of 22mm as close as practical to the joint of the pipes. This also depends on the length of the relief pipe and the number of bends too...

But someone with a G3 ticket would know all that....... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So there should be a tundish in the output pipe from the PReV (tank one) within 500mm of the valve. If the relief pipes are combined from the inlet group (big thing with a red and grey cap) and the tank then they should be increased to a minimum of 22mm as close as practical to the joint of the pipes. This also depends on the length of the relief pipe and the number of bends too...

But someone with a G3 ticket would know all that....... 

I’ll ask builders !