Plumbing help please

lizzie

Thanks @lizzie

So the trap is part of the actual unit itself so can’t be replaced. It fits into a 40mm pushfit from the looks of it so it’s a relatively simple fix to put a Hep20 dry trap in the waste and let the u-bend dry out. 

It needs a slim plumber by the looks of it so @Nickfromwales your luck is out ..! ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:
2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thanks @lizzie

So the trap is part of the actual unit itself so can’t be replaced. It fits into a 40mm pushfit from the looks of it so it’s a relatively simple fix to put a Hep20 dry trap in the waste and let the u-bend dry out. 

It needs a slim plumber by the looks of it so @Nickfromwales your luck is out ..! ?

OK Thanks...sorry @Nickfromwales LOL  I will search local yellow pages for a slim plumber that does not ride a horse and wear a stetson!  Will give a above spec to plumber when I find him/her!

1 minute ago, lizzie said:

OK Thanks...sorry @Nickfromwales LOL  I will search local yellow pages for a slim plumber that does not ride a horse and wear a stetson!  Will give a above spec to plumber when I find him/her!

Poor @Nickfromwales! @PeterW is very bad telling everyone he's a pie boy cos he's really not and nor does he wear a stetson. The horse, well I don't know if he has a horse. More likely to be sheep in Wales I guess ;)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Poor @Nickfromwales! @PeterW is very bad telling everyone he's a pie boy cos he's really not and nor does he wear a stetson. The horse, well I don't know if he has a horse. More likely to be sheep in Wales I guess ;)

I never for one moment wished to give the impression @Nickfromwales had a stetson or a horse LOL....now sheep are a different matter being Welsh I know about those...and wellies!

• Haha 1

If you are going for the "cap it off and use a bucket" solution then find out if it is 32mm or 40mm and buy the aproporiate one of these and fit to the end of the horizontal pipe

40mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waste-Pipe-Cap-40mm-42mm-43mm-Stop-End-Compression-Stop-Cap-for-Bath-Shower-Sink/281996806964?hash=item41a851cb34:g:RO0AAOSwMFFbrOr4

32mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waste-Pipe-Cap-32mm-34mm-36mm-Stop-End-Compression-Stop-Cap-for-Basin-Sink-Pipe/281996848267?epid=10019666338&hash=item41a8526c8b:g:bcAAAOSwCx5brOkt

With the loose fit sleeved pipe as it has been done, if there was any condensate discharge, it would just have dripped onto the floor as that pipe joint would not have sealed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Lizzie, a horizontal waterless trap will do the job. 

First off though, could you get a pic of the underside of the MVHR unit? I need to see how the trap connects to the MVHR unit if possible ? Ta. 

@Nickfromwales you need to catch up...

19 hours ago, PeterW said:

Wierd design but the trap is threaded to the bottom of the unit and then you would need to cut both pipes and just put the other waterless trap in the gap as a connector. 

That been confirmed then ? Wasn’t how I read it tbh but I’m not the sharpest tack ?

There are shallow basin wastes with integral waterless valves ( which could screw onto a 40x32mm adapter if that’s a 40mm trap that is ) and then join the waste to the trap with a flexi connector. 

No glueing etc and easy, permanent ‘one trap’ fix. 

https://www.tapwarehouse.com/product/uniwaste for eg. 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

That been confirmed then ? Wasn’t how I read it tbh but I’m not the sharpest tack ?

There are shallow basin wastes with integral waterless valves ( which could screw onto a 40x32mm adapter if that’s a 40mm trap that is ) and then join the waste to the trap with a flexi connector. 

No glueing etc and easy, permanent ‘one trap’ fix. 

https://www.tapwarehouse.com/product/uniwaste for eg. 

I read the manual ..... 

Lizzie,

This picture suggests there is another appliance or sink in the same room? Perhaps you can arrange both to share the same trap so that the other appliance/sink keeps the trap full. Might be better than a waterless trap but what do others think?

Trap.jpg.c3f239343399d4eeb8739067c9c4549b.jpg

Something like this..

Trap1.thumb.jpg.53bf211491952e0d640932364efe0911.jpg

28 minutes ago, lizzie said:

nothing else in there it is the plant room. The pipe that runs around the wall is I think the condensate pipe from the boiler which drains into that waste rather than externally.

Is the condensate trap drying out too as that will contribute to the smell. I would put the waterless trap in the straight section after both the MVHR and the boiler join in that case. 

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is the condensate trap drying out too as that will contribute to the smell. I would put the waterless trap in the straight section after both the MVHR and the boiler join in that case. 

Thank you that makes good sense.  I will look for a plumber next.  Do you think I should get the waterless trap myself or let plumber supply? I would just ask in the shop what they suggested I buy.

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

They could have run the boiler condensate into a combination branch off a combination trap and the boiler ( as it’s doing DHW ) would have constantly wet the throat of the trap. Muppets. 

They could have used this one and run the 21.5mm boiler condensate pipe to that little branch. So easily avoided if they actually gave a feck. :/ 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

They could have run the boiler condensate into a combination branch off a combination trap and the boiler ( as it’s doing DHW ) would have constantly wet the throat of the trap. Muppets. 

They could have used this one and run the 21.5mm boiler condensate pipe to that little branch. So easily avoided if they actually gave a feck. :/ 

I think we are all agreed that plumbers and the  mvhr/ufh/boiler installer seem to to be useless!  Makes me so mad to feel so clueless myself, OH has bought me a book on plumbing but its not making much sense yet. LOL

@PeterW I’m about to order the recommended bits ready for a plumber when found.  As trap going on the straight bit of pipe after everything else do I need 2 of those running adaptors one for each end of new trap? Sorry to be so thick.

On 25/10/2018 at 11:18, PeterW said:

@lizzie you only need one adapter as the other end is already 40mm 

Thank you.  I have been and bought them.....they didnt have the brand you said (despite web site saying in stock) sold me McAlpine which they said are identical...hope so!  Trying to find a plumber now.

004B050C-12F7-4314-AF3B-19237A3AB7E0.jpeg

2BC9CAE2-0E44-4EB8-8E07-655E98E9029F.jpeg

Could you not give this a go @lizzie? With the guys here holding your hand (in a virtual sense)? 

Your first real plumbing job? 

I had to change the dishwasher plumbing once (before this forum) as it was leaking. Took me a week of sending photos to my brother and lots of cussing but I did get it done and it hasn’t leaked yet ?

@newhome I might have given it a go if I could physically get myself folded into the space it needs to go in but unfortunately I have a back problem thats means I cant. Its an absolute nightmare having to lie flat on the floor under mvhr every few days to fill trap with water. I have to slide in and out like a worm and be drugged up on painkillers to do it. If it had just been swapping one trap for another may have been do able but sadly not. So hoping I can get a plumber out soon. Feel hugely frustrated and annoyed I cant sort this myself now lovely chaps on here have given me solution

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Feel hugely frustrated and annoyed I cant sort this myself now lovely chaps on here have given me solution

I know the feeling :D. Sometimes it all sounds so simple until you try it too! 

• Like 1