Cedar Cladding

Weegaz

Hi guys,

We has cedar cladding fitted around an overhang to the front elevation of our house. As usual painting / staining / oiling was put to the side due to other items needing finished. It’s now turning grey and to light for our liking.

Has anyone any experience in sanding and staining or suggestions on how to bring it back to life?

Thanks in advance folks

We have used exterior Osmo oil with the oak stain as we did not want the cedar to silver.

We used the clear osmo to start with but found out it doesn't have great UV protection.

The cedar started to lose its colour & grey quite quickly.

The new stain looks good & is showing no signs of weathering yet.

We tried the other colours available but the oak was nearest to the original colour of the cedar.

As it is translucent it there is still a variation between the cedar planks.

The cedar stain is too orangey red.

I would get a sample sachet & try it in a discreet place.DSC01614.thumb.JPG.ce21992f9d44e7cf67b41bbf8899f2e8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

We have used exterior Osmo oil with the oak stain as we did not want the cedar to silver.

We used the clear osmo to start with but found out it doesn't have great UV protection.

We tried the other colours available but the oak was nearest to the original colour of the cedar.

I would get a sample sachet & try it in a discreet place.DSC01614.thumb.JPG.ce21992f9d44e7cf67b41bbf8899f2e8.JPG

Thanks Moira,

Looks closer to the colour we are after, we have White rendered house so the greyness isn’t contrasting well enough.

Did you do any prep work, like sanding? Was it greying before you stained?

It was just starting to grey slightly, it looked faded & had lost the lovely variation of colours it had when new.

I think if we had left it any longer it would have silvered quickly in certain places and looked patchy.

Our site is quite exposed to both sun & rain

Our render is a soft sand colour & grey would not look good with it or the ironstone.

Osmo advised me that the clear oil would need treating every couple of years and the stained one about 5 years.

It has only had one coat of the oak stain oil.

I would give the technical department at osmo a call for advice or the cedar supplier.

If you have any spare pieces that have greyed try it on them without sanding initially.

We were nervous that it would look really false but it looks quite smart. Happy!

• 4 months later...

we fitted some western red cedar about 3 years ago and used 2 coats of the clear osmo uv oil . It does now look like it needs doing again soon and im tempted to go with the oak version. Is this what you used Moira?Osmo UV Protection Oil Tints 425 Oak. And is it ok to go on top of the clear coat. I read somewhere about the oak 425 having a white tint to it. Any truth in that?

Thanks

29 minutes ago, James1 said:

we fitted some western red cedar about 3 years ago and used 2 coats of the clear osmo uv oil . It does now look like it needs doing again soon and im tempted to go with the oak version. Is this what you used Moira?Osmo UV Protection Oil Tints 425 Oak. And is it ok to go on top of the clear coat. I read somewhere about the oak 425 having a white tint to it. Any truth in that?

Thanks

Not sure about the rest 

But it definitely has a white tint to it 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2018 at 20:36, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Hi @Moira Niedzwiecka

Sorry for jumping on the post. I love the photo of your house and am wondering what to ask for to get this type of gutter? It looks brilliant.

Edited by laurenco

Your treatment looks similar to how part of ours is designed to look. And we have a triangular window planned like that. My wife is now concerned about how we cover the triangle at night so we don’t wake with th birds every morning. What have you done if you don’t mind me asking?

My untreated western red cedar is silvering........or at least I hope it is!  I don't know how to differentiate natural silvering from fungal decay.  After rain its quite grey and blotchy, and if I rub the surface with my finger it pills like wet paper and reveals the original colour beneath.

Paranoia is creeping in....do I have a problem?

38 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

Paranoia is creeping in....do I have a problem?

I've never touched the cedar cladding on my place when it's wet, but it's turned various shades of grey depending on how much rain hits it. If you haven't painted anything onto the surface then I'm sure it's fine.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Thanks 1

On 27/02/2019 at 12:30, laurenco said:

Hi @Moira Niedzwiecka

Sorry for jumping on the post. I love the photo of your house and am wondering what to ask for to get this type of gutter? It looks brilliant.

Hello,

Sorry not to reply sooner.

We used ARP Ltd from Leicester for the guttering.

Really pleased with it.

Very good quality.

They were really helpful.

I purchased directly as they are only about 30 mins away & their sales rep came out & measured up & specified what was needed.

ARP also sell via builders merchants.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

How's your cladding looking now? I too used the osmo uv oil but have been unimpressed.

Edited by James1