Some design advice please for a master bedroom thats just a bit off

Some advice please on en suite and walk in wardrobe that we think are now going to be too small.

We can't move the door to bedroom 3 out to make more room for the wiw and the en suite because of where the door is positioned. We though of getting rid of the bedroom totally, but then we don't have a spare room if it's needed in the future.

We cant move the door in the master to the left to make the wiw/ensuite larger as the door cant be moved.

There was to be more wardrobe space behind the bed but this can be scrapped. Also we would like to have a window in the en suite.

Any help or advice appreciated. smile.png

bedrooms.jpg

Thanks guys.

We were thinking of a pocket door like the WIW so that will help. I have mapped out the en suite in our living room. I'll do it again with some basic measurements for shower, toilet and sink.

I think we will be going in for planning retention for the ensuite window and also the window in bedroom 3 to centralise that aswell.

Do you think the space behind the bed is wide enough for some wardrobe space? If we push the bed back against the wall (the chimney breast is not there now) we have a huge amount of space in the middle of the floor pretty much wasted.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, newhousebuild said:

Thanks guys.

We were thinking of a pocket door like the WIW so that will help. I have mapped out the en suite in our living room. I'll do it again with some basic measurements for shower, toilet and sink.

I think we will be going in for planning retention for the ensuite window and also the window in bedroom 3 to centralise that aswell.

Do you think the space behind the bed is wide enough for some wardrobe space? If we push the bed back against the wall (the chimney breast is not there now) we have a huge amount of space in the middle of the floor pretty much wasted.

Cheers

I was planning pocket doors for our ensuites, however they mean you can't put sound insulation in that part of the wall, which put me off them, unless you want to make the wall double thickness.

Also the wardrobe space behind your bed might feel a bit cramped, if you assume 600mm wide for clothes hanging, that's a 500mm walkway.

Edited by ultramods

3 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I was planning pocket doors for our ensuites, however they mean you can't put sound insulation in that part of the wall, which put me off them, unless you want to make the wall double thickness.

I think we would be fine for the sound insulation not being there.

You could maybe have two separate wardrobe areas bed the bed if the walkway depth is an issue.

And make the walk in wardrobe maybe 1600mm deep to get a bit more space in the ensuite if you wanted a larger shower area.

1848844433_bedroom2.png.523f99d87d1cb7eb115d59ab8641f5af.png

or thinking outside the box a little, change the layout to below.

603019702_bedroom3.png.7c243ec652ac51d6a5175d0752ed9a97.png

Edited by ultramods
  • Like 1

Looking completely out  of the box - Could you perhaps move the ensuite sanitary ware to the space behind the bed. The space could even be a bit wider looking at where the foot of the bed is. I have seen similar without even doors on (not my choice but each to their own)

The walk in wardrobe could then be twice as big or a combined WiW and dressing room.

37 minutes ago, ultramods said:

You could maybe have two separate wardrobe areas bed the bed if the walkway depth is an issue.

And make the walk in wardrobe maybe 1600mm deep to get a bit more space in the ensuite if you wanted a larger shower area.

1848844433_bedroom2.png.523f99d87d1cb7eb115d59ab8641f5af.png

or thinking outside the box a little, change the layout to below.

603019702_bedroom3.png.7c243ec652ac51d6a5175d0752ed9a97.png

This is also very good. Thanks!!

We have pocket sliding doors to all bathrooms and they work great. Sound will travel under the door anyway as you need an air gap for MVHR.

Our spare room backs onto the ensuite (bath and sink on the shared wall) - on the few times I've slept in there, the noise from the drains etc is quite noticeable. We only used standard PB - probably should have used soundblock (blue) for that wall as we did elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

looks good but i would be tempted to square the bedroom doors to the mezzanine not the bedrooms, might even give you enough room on the inside of the master bed door for light switches without going around the corner, certainly for bed 3 it will give more room inside and you could always move that door to in line with the WIW wall