Getting prices for boarding and skimming.  Eye watering prices but I should be getting used to that

Guy that came Saturday said I had to have pink boards for all the ceilings to meet fire regs but I can't find reference to that anywhere - either in my architects notes or building regs.  The only thing in the architects ontes is 30min resistance which AFAICS ordinary plaster board gives.

My super fussy warranty inspector said nothing about where I've already put normal plasterboard up in the downstairs bathroom and this is the guy who has had me writing to various different companies to get them to put in writing for him that their products (in use in buildings nationwide already) are "suitable" - and to be honest, if it was remotely possible to find an objection, my guy would have done it!  

If you check the manufacturers web sites and sellers like Jewson, B&Q, wickes etc (because sometimes they've beaten trade prices for me on some things!) they actually describe their standard plasterboards as "suitable for walls and ceilings".

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Guy that came Saturday said I had to have pink boards for all the ceilings to meet fire regs but I can't find reference to that anywhere - either in my architects notes or building regs.  The only thing in the architects ontes is 30min resistance which AFAICS ordinary plaster board gives.

Pretty sure that's wrong for an internal ceiling of a dwelling. We had to have pink in the garage, but not in the house.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

Pretty sure that's wrong for an internal ceiling of a dwelling. We had to have pink in the garage, but not in the house.

Yup. 

As the OP house is open plan ground level to entry level, 1 up 1 down ( split level over 3 floors ), then FR ( fire rated ) boards would do very little as the flames shot up the stairs. :/ 

Guy that said that is just repeating what he's seen elsewhere with no cause or reason. 

NEXT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have just plaster boarded our first floor and used 3 types of board - Standard boards for the ceiling and external walls - boards with sound proofing properties for the internal partition walls and then moisture resistant boards for the bathroom and en-suite. Interestingly the sound proof boards weigh in at 6 kilos heavier than the standard ones.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, newhome said:

How about asking for a recommendation on the Plasterers’ Forum? 

https://plasterersforum.com/forums/public-looking-for-a-plasterer.91/

Noooooo don’t do it 

Most are jobbers looking to spend a couple of days boarding and skimming a room

Cost you a fortune 

A proper company may not be as exspensive as you think

and will invoice you when all is complete 

7 minutes ago, nod said:

If it’s not three storey you don’t need fire boards 

30 minutes is fine 

Unless you have an integral garage Two layers of fire line 

(Pink)

Does it count as 3 storey if it's on 3 levels like @Hecateh's house is? Guess not. Maybe that's what he was confused about? 

Just now, newhome said:

Does it count as 3 storey if it's on 3 levels like @Hecateh's house is? Guess not. Maybe that's what he was confused about? 

Nah - that wasn't confusing him - he was saying on new builds all ceilings have to have pink - suspect the last new build he worked on may have had 3 storeys - or may even have been flats.

He said you may get away with it upstairs, it depends on your building inspector but you have to have them in the kitchen!

I was pretty sure I would have read something about it on here had it been true. lol

The insurance company classed it as 3 storey I think - but that's another rip off - it also gets classed as having a basement as the back of the lower ground is set about 600mm into the slope. ?

Got a quote at a good price.

He only lives an hour away and has given me a price based on a 3 line description, although I did say it was about 400 sqm.  "£2500".  That's about £6.50 per sqm.  Shall I snatch his hand off ... or give him a wide berth LOL

2 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Noooo please thats an evil place. When I had all the trouble with my boarding I asked on there.  Its very scary dont go there.

Not from there - I've posted on my builder

I get to vet those interested before anyone gets my contact details.

Weirdly I am getting responses from Sheffield, Doncaster, Huddersfield and Chesterfield - Sheffield and Donny aren't too far if you are on my side.  Not a single volunteer from Barnsley - perhaps BB has had me blacklisted Haha!  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Got a quote at a good price.

He only lives an hour away and has given me a price based on a 3 line description, although I did say it was about 400 sqm.  "£2500".  That's about £6.50 per sqm.  Shall I snatch his hand off ... or give him a wide berth LOL

See if you can find someone who knows him ideally, and Google his name to death! 

That’s a better price and closer to what I expect. 

I didn’t realise how much building is going on in Sheffield - talking to a chippy who said he has to get lads from Manchester to work in Sheffield as everyone is busy ..!

1 minute ago, newhome said:

See if you can find someone who knows him ideally, and Google his name to death! 

Ask him if you could have a look at the last full house that he’s done

If he’s doing site work there should be numerous properties on the go 

A rough guide for two site plasters to fix 150 boards would be three to four days days with loading 

( Normal height ceilings) 

Three days to skim

3 minutes ago, nod said:

A rough guide for two site plasters to fix 150 boards would be three to four days days with loading 

Three days to skim

With it being split level, it's mostly 2.4 ceilings but up to 4.8 around the stairs and 3.6 in the hall - about 2m x 4m area.  The bedroom is partially vaulted but only up to the 2.4 level

6 minutes ago, nod said:

Three days to skim

A Quik look at the drawing will tell you The fire board is normally protecting steel

But most three story don’t need more than half an hour fire protection

On 19/08/2018 at 18:44, Hecateh said:

With it being split level, it's mostly 2.4 ceilings but up to 4.8 around the stairs and 3.6 in the hall - about 2m x 4m area.  The bedroom is partially vaulted but only up to the 2.4 level

No that wouldn’t take much longer 

Perhaps an extra half day on boarding 

Theres a plaster on Ultimate diy 

Calls himself trowel monkey and seems to be the main one

His boast is that he always has a bag of easi fill and goes back the following day and fillls for free

Imagine that you’ve just got rid of the dirty buggers and they turn up to make more mess and dust ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nod said:

According to his splurge he has worked everywhere from Buck Palace to Emmerdale via Heathrow Airport and many points in between.  

1 minute ago, Hecateh said:

According to his splurge he has worked everywhere from Buck Palace to Emmerdale via Heathrow Airport and many points in between.  

Never believe the marketing shit!! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nod said:

A Quik look at the drawing will tell you The fire board is normally protecting steel

But most three story don’t need more than half an hour fire protection

The drawings say half an hour - it isn't 3 storey in height anywhere - is like 2 storey with a mezzanine