What happens when your postman rings your bell?

This is what happened at lunchtime today.

IMG_20160718_160713.jpg

"Oh, woops" says I. And look down to see this next to his trainer-clad foot

IMG_20160718_160659.jpg

"Indeed" says he. "Woops just about covers it"

And here's the detail

IMG_20160718_160629.jpg

That blackish smudge at the back is solid rust where it has been mended before.

What's next (apart from buy a Lottery ticket : I could not have been luckier if I had tried to be. 2 mm from the Postie's foot :$)

Replace the lot?

Make-do and mend?

Or make-do and mend AND replace?

And, as a minor by-the-by how the hell do I mend this well?

Wish it would happen to my postman.  He don't know it, but I know him, and he is a complete tosser.  I never answer the door to him.  Now way I want him to know where I live.

Have you thought of putting in a 230V supply, then he will jump backward before the stones hit his foot.  I thought they were all issued with steel toe capped boots these days, and not allowed to work in the dark, or go on property where there is a cat or a dog that may be dangerous.  Or bother to try and deliver a parcel to a neighbour.  Or do any real work.

Bunch of over unionised, lazy, moaning minies.

Heard the one about the wild dog St large.

Postman filled in the required long form explaining why the Royal Mail were failing to deliver and sent it to the customer service department.

Who promptly WROTE a letter explaining the householder should get their dog under control!!

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Wish it would happen to my postman.  He don't know it, but I know him, and he is a complete tosser....No way I want him to know where I live.

Nick

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but if he is delivering your mail, he already knows where you live :S

• Like 4

Dragging it back to the problem......

you could do worse than: 

thoroughly clean both surfaces.

grind some v shaped groves in both faces.

bond it with a stone resin glue. Tenax is a good product and stands up fairly well. There are some better products but not so easily sourced. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131323847075

Ideally though those stainless rods I mentioned earlier should be included to provide strength.

if you want a more "traditional repair then once bonded. Very carefully v out the cracked join and fill with mortar. 

Edited by Barney12
eBay item was ended so have provided an alternative link.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Calvinmiddle said:

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but if he is delivering your mail, he already knows where you live :S

Not quite.  He only knows where I work, which is not that close to my home, and I doubt if he knows my surname.  Unlike him though, I have not changed my surname to try and avoid people I owe money to.

7 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Dragging it back to the problem......

you could do worse than: 

thoroughly clean both surfaces.

grind some v shaped groves in both faces.

bond it with a stone resin glue. Tenax is a good product and stands up fairly well. There are some better products but not so easily sourced. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131245094553 

Ideally though those stainless rods I mentioned earlier should be included to provide strength.

if you want a more "traditional repair then once bonded. Very carefully v out the cracked join and fill with mortar. 

Want to know why I love this forum?