Is Superglue designed to be a one use product? Every time I use it I try to carefully remove all traces of glue before I put the cap back on but invariably it sticks and I can't get it off again without cutting it off or if I get the cap off cleanly the glue has set down the spout leaving me trying to stick a pin or whatever in there to open it up again. I give up half the time, reopen it from the other end and then bin it. Hints and tips please, or should I just ensure that I have several packs to hand. I have some in a bottle with a brush that seems a bit better but in this weather it's gone too thick to use effectively even with the lid screwed on tight. 

Superglue is best kept in the fridge.... and I buy the packs from Poundland that have 5 small vials in them and chuck them after one use. 

Mitre bond is also cyanoacrylate (ie Superglue) but seems to not clog as much. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks! This is the one with the brush (and you can see what it’s for :ph34r:) that’s gone claggy. It’s just cyanoacrylate too but more expensive than superglue so I’ve started buying the tubes. Seems it’s a waste of money to buy the branded tubes then and I may as well go to the pound shop. Cheers, will try the fridge. 

Is Mitre bond exactly the same and dries opaque(ish)? 

B83BA3CE-C498-49AB-B1E9-E0F984D4AA62.jpeg

Mitre bond is a 2-part glue and imo far superior to the little tubes/bottles. I've NEVER in my life has any success with traditional one component superglue but the mitre bond is magic.

Like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-mitre-adhesive-200ml/41795?

Careful that if sticking upvc trim you get one that won't "yellow". I first got the one above then another make...this one I think:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p47409?

Claggy I thought was a term coined by Sarah Millican whuch I'd rather not dwell on! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Mitre bond is a 2-part glue and imo far superior to the little tubes/bottles

Its not 2 part - it’s just an activator in the can. You can use it to accelerate ordinary superglue. 

The TS stuff is the one I use, normally on offer for less than £5. 

• Like 1

So how does the 2 part stuff work? Put the glue on, stick the item together then spray the stuff? Or spray it before you press together? Can see that working for normal diy stuff but can’t see it working on nails tbh :ph34r: ? . Would like some to be multi purpose if possible and ideally I’d like one that dries clear or worst case opaque. Can’t have yellow smoker’s nails! ;) 

And @Onoff ‘claggy’ will forever be tainted now! :o

Thanks. They’re not fake nails they are my own but sometimes the edge of the Shellac polish lifts up round the edge and I have to repair it until I can get to have them redone. I can still do it sort of like that though I think :)

Assume if you don’t use the activator it still dries eventually? 

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

So how does the 2 part stuff work? Put the glue on, stick the item together then spray the stuff? Or spray it before you press together? Can see that working for normal diy stuff but can’t see it working on nails tbh :ph34r: ? . Would like some to be multi purpose if possible and ideally I’d like one that dries clear or worst case opaque. Can’t have yellow smoker’s nails! ;) 

And @Onoff ‘claggy’ will forever be tainted now! :o

I first saw window fitters use it. See this bit of trim I've fitted to a freebie 2G door I scored. The trim covers the slightly ragged edge where the walls been cut out for the upvc frame. WITHOUT the trim (bit I'm pointing to) you spray activator up the height of the door. You run a bead of glue up the back of the trim piece and push on. Instantly stuck.

20180625_203206.thumb.jpg.c932e7dae3f440d3f4426aa7aa9dd3a5.jpg

@Nickfromwales reckons it for sticking tile trims on too.

And kitchen cornice too:

20180625_203828.thumb.jpg.67ce67222cb2c8977ecfc4218afc723c.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@newhome that brand with the brush is the one i have real problems with but its so much easier to use than the tubes

Yes the brush makes it much easier. The tubes are god awful things. Press it and nothing comes out, press it again and it goes everywhere! 

• Like 1

Just now, SteamyTea said:

I did a City and Guilds manicure course

Long story, but I was the only bloke on it.

No shit huh!! :D

What manicures do you do? Shellac? Acrylic? Gel? 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Superglue is best kept in the fridge.... and I buy the packs from Poundland that have 5 small vials in them and chuck them after one use. 

Mitre bond is also cyanoacrylate (ie Superglue) but seems to not clog as much. 

Last time I bought them from Poundland there were 10 in a pack for a £.  Must be at least 10 years ago and there are still five or six left - some of them have already set though.

• Haha 1

The things we get on Buildhub ?

Waiting for the headlines:

”Kiss My Glass

Scottish hospital closed when English woman turns up with French window attached to fingernail”.

Only topped by a recent experience having sushi with 5 other men’s wives for an evening.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

I first saw window fitters use it. See this bit of trim I've fitted to a freebie 2G door I scored. The trim covers the slightly ragged edge where the walls been cut out for the upvc frame. WITHOUT the trim (bit I'm pointing to) you spray activator up the height of the door. You run a bead of glue up the back of the trim piece and push on. Instantly stuck.

20180625_203206.thumb.jpg.c932e7dae3f440d3f4426aa7aa9dd3a5.jpg

@Nickfromwales reckons it for sticking tile trims on too.

And kitchen cornice too:

20180625_203828.thumb.jpg.67ce67222cb2c8977ecfc4218afc723c.jpg

How does this glue compare to, for example, superstrong Evostick cartridge glue, such as this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/evo-stik-serious-stuff-solvent-free-grab-adhesive-0-29l/212376_BQ.prd

which also comes in tubes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVO-STIK-STRONG-STUFF-ULTIMATE-STRENGTH-GRAB-ADHESIVE-200ml-SQUEEZE-TUBE-/122800435904

Could someone compare and contrast.

Cheers

(I don't wear glittery nails)

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

How does this glue compare to, for example, superstrong Evostick cartridge glue, such as this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/evo-stik-serious-stuff-solvent-free-grab-adhesive-0-29l/212376_BQ.prd

Where do I use it if I don't wear glittery nails?

Thousands of window and kitchen fitters can't be wrong? Less messy than that Evo stuff I'd say...thinner bond too. 

Just seen the drying time on your one. Totally different stuff/application. With mitre bond you can assemble a complicated, cranked shape kitchen cornice in seconds on the bench and lift up into position. Fix and "flex" it into position as you go round putting a couple of screws in. 

Edited by Onoff