At least no one is £3m over budget! (Should have joined BuildHub)

What puzzles me is how they actually afforded it when it went £3m over budget.  It must be nice having access to that much extra. The rest of us would have to say, sorry I have run out of money and you have to stop.

How the other half live.

• Like 1

Looks like we got merged lol. 

Yes agreed, the original plan and budget was far too ambitious but 10 years is even longer than mine took ;) (but I didn’t overspend and nor was mine in 7 figures!). 

So their house is now more or less worth what it cost them to buy the plot and build so it’s not like they will be horrendously out of pocket, albeit they would have made a tidy profit had they not strayed so far over budget. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I'd have done it for £1M and in half the time...

Actually I reckon collectively some of the BH crew could have built that for a lot less. You could have been in charge of the ‘procrastination’ task ;)

• Like 1

Two thinks I noticed..

The Stones, who run PSP Consultants based in Fulham, insisted the Russells wasted money by agonising over interior details, including door handles, toilet roll-holders and ironmongery.

£3m is a lot of "door handles, toilet roll-holders and ironmongery" !!

They say it was a £5m disaster but that's it's currently worth £8m. I wouldn't mind having that sort of disaster.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Temp said:

They say it was a £5m disaster but that's it's currently worth £8m. I wouldn't mind having that sort of disaster. 

They did pay an additional 3.65M for the old house and plot though. But it’s still in the right ballpark and if they got the house of their dreams it doesn’t seem too terrible TBH. 

5 hours ago, newhome said:

Actually I reckon collectively some of the BH crew could have built that for a lot less. You could have been in charge of the ‘procrastination’ task ;)

Let me take my time thinking of a response...

• Haha 5

From what I've read, their evidence so far can be summed up as "this was a really complicated design which should have been really expensive to build, so we're very upset with these people for failing to build it cheaply," I can't help but suspect giving the example of their TV room with three curved walls and one straight wall will not have helped their case...

They should have used a “firm price” contract, and stayed out of the way once the build started.

Used to live just across the Heath from there in Gospel Oak (rented ?).

They certainly do not have much garden left.

(I seem to be having terrible trouble with my linkstyle. Must have lost the towel in Golgafrincham and caused a war somewhere.)

F

Edited by Ferdinand