How do I chop this up?

Need to take it to the tip so how can I chop it up? ie what can I use that isn’t dangerous? Angle grinder? Never used one before mind and don’t know if there is one here. 

7DF44C42-5F06-4673-B39E-7BDEAD6B13C9.jpeg

Edited by newhome

Just now, newhome said:

The metal thing .... 

Sorry, when I saw this first there was no picture!!, bolt cutters would be safer if you have some or could borrow some, angle grinders need treating with care, they can bite back.

• Thanks 1

Yeah the photo didn't load first time and you were too fast :D. Thanks, will see if I can borrow bolt cutters from next door. Do I need to be superhuman to work them? 

Angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel.

Just don't be fearful of it (called being a pussy, which I know you are not).

If I get time tomorrow (got a show on this weeks so a lot of driving) I shall make a video of how to do it and how not too.  Bit like one of the old Kenny Everett ones.

• Like 2

Thanks all.

Option 1, ie the easiest - put on freecycle and ask if anyone wants it (waiting for the 'can you deliver' comments 9_9)

Option 2 see if I have a bolt cutter, can borrow one, can ask someone to help me if I am pathetic and can't work it

Option 3 try the angle grinder and pray I don't amputate anything as I don't have a manky finger or toe that warrants it. 

Next question - what do I say it is? Steel grid? It's not mega rusty - just brown I think. 

Edited by newhome

Ive got quite a bit of this and its rusty. I will have to get rid of mine shortly its sitting in next doors field and he will start moaning soon. Is it reinforcing mesh for concrete?  Is it no good if rusty?

Looks like A142? That's 200x200 squares, 6mm bars.

Maybe the next time someone comes up they could give you a grinder lesson. Think Demi Moore / Patrick Swayze in Ghost! :)

Start small with a 115mm grinder not a 9 or 12". Gloves and a face shield a must!!!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, newhome said:

I've got a dremel, would that do it or too small? 

I doubt anyone else will offer to come up after the 16 hour days sorting out the heating! :ph34r:

No, Dremel is far too small tbh. Freeads etc?

So you not have pikeys up there? Just leave outside your gate and it'll go. 

Just now, Onoff said:

No, Dremel is far too small tbh. Freeads etc?

So you not have pikeys up there? Just leave outside your gate and it'll go. 

Occasionally get pikeys at the beach but nothing here has ever gone missing even when in full view of the gate. People have had heating oil and a sheepdog stolen from round here, and farm machinery. Other than that it's not exactly Crimewatch worthy here. 

11 hours ago, newhome said:

Option 1, ie the easiest - put on freecycle and ask if anyone wants it (waiting for the 'can you deliver' comments 9_9)

... even when you say clearly in the entry that you won't deliver! I once had someone offer me £5 to deliver across town a crappy old Ikea coffee table that probably wasn't worth £5.

1 minute ago, jack said:

... even when you say clearly in the entry that you won't deliver! I once had someone offer me £5 to deliver across town a crappy old Ikea coffee table that probably wasn't worth £5.

I used to repair and sell tv's and someone asked me to deliver. Turned out to be a crappy basement flat with no parking so had to chance double yellows and when I struggled to get the telly down there, I found there was no aerial.  No sale that day and never ever again delivered.

11 hours ago, newhome said:

I've got a dremel, would that do it or too small? 

I doubt anyone else will offer to come up after the 16 hour days sorting out the heating! :ph34r:

If you are using a grinder, then start in the middle so that the two end wires hold the rest of it steady until the last two cuts.

Alternatively bolt cutters are surprisingly cheap, and can be useful for all sorts of things.

F

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Alternatively bolt cutters are surprisingly cheap, and can be useful for all sorts of things.

I’m good to buy them if needed (think Aldi has some cheap ones on offer but not sure if they are the right size), just not sure how strong you need to be to use them. 

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

I’m good to buy them if needed (think Aldi has some cheap ones on offer but not sure if they are the right size), just not sure how strong you need to be to use them. 

Their 24" long ones for £10.99 should do it. Tbh longer handles mean less effort but of course are heavier to wield! 

I find most Aldi and Lidl stuff NOW is really quite good. You get the odd for still. Worst case you get a refund.

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Worst case you get a refund.

What would I use as my reason for a return? I’m too pathetic to use them? :D 

I hate that I can’t use tools / do things actually but the OH always did it and actively discouraged me from using any power tools. 

32 minutes ago, newhome said:

I hate that I can’t use tools / do things actually but the OH always did it and actively discouraged me from using any power tools. 

My OH jokingly calls me "Captain Sensible". In my opinion, the fact that she thinks I'm "too concerned about safety" is a very good reason to to actively discourage her use of anything sharp, and particularly anything connected to a powerful motor!

I’m the opposite in that I see them as too dangerous and don’t really like them in truth. I won’t look when anyone climbs up a ladder onto a roof or uses what I consider to be a ‘dangerous’ power tool such as a circular saw or a chainsaw. That didn’t exactly provide him with the confidence that I should use any power tools. I can cut myself on a knife or fall off a stepladder and smash my head in (have form with both!). That said I do need to be able to use ‘simple’ power tool such as a drill to do the most basic of jobs here so need to learn. It just would have been handy having someone here helping me learn rather than replying on YouTube videos. Im not suddenly going to use the more dangerous ones as I’m sure that could end badly. 

• Like 1