Standards: guidance from the NHBC

I know the NHBC is not to everyone's taste. So please bear with me when I link to the NHBC Standards documentation.

I linked to it because, for Know-Nothings like me the illustrations are very helpful. 

(accessed May 2018)

For example, I now know what the overlap for my roofing membrane should be. Before now, I didn't know that was an issue I should think about.

I dunno wot I dunno

Full Reference:

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/cms/publish/consumer/Search/?cx=001053047772510740247%3Aogiwepchq-a&cof=FORID%3A11&q=standards&sa=Submit

We found some interesting differences between Scottish building regs and NHBC guidelines, so much so that we had to tell one of them we would do something one way, then tell the other we would do it different. We always did it the building regs way in case of conflict.

I have a pet dislike of being unable to easily look up a BS or BS EN standard without being asked to fork out £50.  I can sometimes view via a library but it should be just freely available.  I wonder how much revenue is actually generated by the charges for information?

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have a pet dislike of being unable to easily look up a BS or BS EN standard without being asked to fork out £50.  I can sometimes view via a library but it should be just freely available.  I wonder how much revenue is actually generated by the charges for information?

I imagine the revenue comes from large organisations who pay a fortune to subscribe to that info. Thus they cannot give it away free to anyone.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I followed @recoveringacademic 's link and did not encounter a pay-wall. Are you referring to the cost of a printed copy?

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

BS and BS EN which are referred to therein and elsewhere.

Everywhere more like and I am sure there are loads of circular references in there and mostly they are impenetrable, not written in lay persons language as they expect the reader to be an expert in the subject. I am a little lucky in that the University subscribes to some, not many in construction, but I can pop along to the British Library and access them for the cost of a zone 6 travel card. (£11 off peak) Some councils have them in their libraries, I found this: https://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/about-bsi/uk-national-standards-body/Library-Access-to-Standards/ and https://www.jisc-collections.ac.uk/The-Digital-Library/ which gives some access by the looks of it.