Rendering garden wall, on only 1 side...am I wise?

JohnW

My neighbour has built a new block wall and I would like to render my side to tidy it up. I'm pretty sure my neighbour won't render his side and will leave it as exposed block.

Am I wise rendering my side? 

17 minutes ago, JohnW said:

My neighbour has built a new block wall and I would like to render my side to tidy it up. I'm pretty sure my neighbour won't render his side and will leave it as exposed block.

Am I wise rendering my side? 

It will be fine Put plenty of waterproofer in the mix

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I can't see why it would cause a problem. You'll get the OK from your neighbour I assume?

Yeah, we're on good terms and it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm more concerned with rain/moisture getting into the wall on the neighbours side and blowing my render off.

9 minutes ago, nod said:

It will be fine Put plenty of waterproofer in the mix

Will this stop it blowing off if rain/moisture is getting in via the neighbours side?

A few random thoughts:

Does the wall have a dpc?

Any pillars?

Don't be too quick to paint it after rendering.

Is levelling off the mortar joints and just painting an option?

What way does your side of the wall face?

Consider whether you want permeable or waterproof render, even if it *is* a garden wall; they can still be damaged by water ingress and freeze/haw cycling.

If only one side will be rendered that suggests that moisture can come in from the other side and get in behind your render that way, then freeze-thaw and spall, even if it can theoretically get back out the way it came.

So I would make the render permeable or at least semi-permeable, with a suitable "water-chucker-offer" at the top to protect from rain if not there already.

Others probably know more about type of render.

Ferdinand

I'm just getting quotes to render my new block front wall with sand & cement - one guy has recommended Webber RendAid as the scratch coat as it's less likely to suffer from frost damage etc.

It seems quite expensive for what is really bagged sand & cement with a admixture. 

You only need a water proof agent none of this fancy expensive stuff. A couple of quid.

It's all in the mix. If the mix is wrong then won't matter who puts it on the wall.

Wet the wall before the scratch coat and don't put it on if it's too cold with a chance of frost or too hot to stop it drying out to quick. 

Wet the scratch coat again before you put the top coat on and thats all that is needed.

A couple of coats of white masonry  paint is another option. Cheaper and still looks fine.

22 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

don't put it on if it's too cold with a chance of frost or too hot to stop it drying out to quick. 

This has been our challenge - wall went up in Jan and since then it's been too cold / wet for months and now it's too hot ?

We have a very poorly done block retaining wall.....looks like they were drunk when they did it, the bricklaying was even worse but we were too late to stop it.

I have painted the biggest section of wall ( circa 20m long and 4m high) which runs behind the house and so is not quite in your face as mainly hidden by house. Used dulux weathershield masonry paint in ral 7016 to go with the windows so now the rubbish drunk block wall looks like a design statement LOL.  I have another equally badly done section around 12m long x 3m high very visible as on drive and runs down to garage.  I am currently getting quotes to render it...eye watering costs.

If you can get away with it I recommend the paint route but be bold with colour so it looks like it was meant to be not just a bit of white paint sloshed over some ugly blocks.

Loads of ideas on pinterest.

Edited by lizzie

1 hour ago, Dee J said:

Is it a viable option to batten it and fit timber plank? Or composite cladding panels? Or laser cut rusted steel art?

We explored all those options and for various reasons they wouldnt work for us. The batten and plank is a nice look but we could not do it as we didnt have enough space between wall and drip on coping stone.........if no coping a different story.

I agonised for months about how to deal with our walls, choosing a kitchen was much easier!

Thanks for all the great advice & suggestions.

I think the best way forward is to use a couple of coats of masonry paint as suggested and see how that goes.

Thanks

• Like 1