Dirty Diggin' What am I doing wrong?

ToughButterCup

Digging my TAF (Temporary Amphibian Fencing) trench wi'  't  digger... all's well, when I notice the bucket is full, and won't empty. Shake it, rattle it and roll it; nothing. Bucket full of earth. Stuck. Fast.

And neither did the full bucket stop the digging process. I carried on digging fine, got the TAF trench dug.

But I suspect I'm doing something wrong. Yes, there's a good deal of clay around, but it's mostly loam, and there's a little bit of concrete stuck to the inside of the bucket.

Overthinking again I suspect, but I thought I'd ask (Declan....9_9).

im intrigued now, it does happen a lot to me when digging clay and it if won't come out by thumping it into the ground it gets dug out with a spade like Dave.

Good question though? i wonder if it has anything to do with the angle of the bucket? e.g weather you are digging with the teeth or with the bottom of the bucket?

Im all ears :)

No teeth in this narrow bucket: it's little wider than a shovel. I tried all sorts of jiggery pokery, but it still jammed full. And made no difference whatever. I could still dig perfectly well. In the end I used a crowbar - yes a crowbar to get the soil out. Soon lost interest in that, though. 

:D the cleaning with a shovel is always the last resort.

i didn't mean so much actually using the teeth, more what angle the back of the bucket is? 

say the teeth (or front edge) is pointing straight down and you are scraping back, the bucket still fills and you only curl the bucket towards the end of the pull to remove it. 

or 

you start the dig with the bucket already curled (teeth pointing back at you) and pull back in? 

I don't know what the answer is but i was always thought to dig with the teeth, so front edge pointing down, then again my bucket gets stuck as well so what do i know :S

i would suggest dunking the bucket in a drum of used engine oil before you start but that would probably be frowned upon :ph34r:

Just now, Construction Channel said:

:D the cleaning with a shovel is always the last resort.

i would suggest dunking the bucket in a drum of used engine oil before you start but that would probably be frowned upon :ph34r:

You bad man. :ph34r: Wash your mouth out - with dirty diesel.

The chap I knew a few years ago who had a wheeled JCB, who ran the farm next door to us, years ago and had a "man and a digger" hire business, always spent ages cleaning the buckets after any job, to the extent of wire brushing the inside and then wiping them over with old oil. 

I wonder if keeping the buckets nice and clean inside like this helps?  I've no knowledge at all of this, but, given the effort he went to every time he came home from a job I can't imagine that he just did it for his own amusement.

8 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

doesn't work, never tried it but i can assure you it doesn't work

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

And the newts.

Then poor some old engine oil in the pond, would solve that problem, though may create another.

6 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

When I was digging a narrow trench and the bucket kept getting gunged up with clay I had my other half on standby with a small spade to clean it out. She doesn't mind, really!!

That's my job too, and I'm not allowed to complain either! :(