Airtight house and vent for UVC

joe90

Just getting my plumbing done and noticed ( after it was done) that the 22mm copper vent pipe to my unvented DHW cylinder is a “ hole” in my airtight house. I suppose I could create a trap by using lots of 90’ bends but even if I filled it with water it would eventually dry up as no water passes through it regularly ( I hope?). Any good ideas out there?.

It is only the tundish that makes the D2 vent pipe open to the air inside the house.  I think we talked before of enclosing the whole tundish inside something like a clear plastic bottle sealed at both ends so you could see it, but it would be sealed.

The alternative is discharge internally into a stack pipe using a hepvo waterless trap. You must use ABS not PVC pipe for the run from the hepvo to the stack as it potentially may contain boiling water.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It is only the tundish that makes the D2 vent pipe open to the air inside the house.  I think we talked before of enclosing the whole tundish inside something like a clear plastic bottle sealed at both ends so you could see it, but it would be sealed.

The alternative is discharge internally into a stack pipe using a hepvo waterless trap. You must use ABS not PVC pipe for the run from the hepvo to the stack as it potentially may contain boiling water.

I really like the plastic bottle idea, the vent is already run in copper and buried in floors so I am bottle hunting as we speak ?.

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I really like the plastic bottle idea, the vent is already run in copper and buried in floors so I am bottle hunting as we speak ?.

When you work out how to do it, let us know. The only way I can see is cut the bottle in half make the joints then glue or tape it back together.

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Could you not use a Tupperware box, mount and fix the box then have the lid removable for inspections 

obviously mount it vertically so lid faces towards you if you can visualise what I’m thinking. 

Brilliant idea, could not find a bottle that fit anyway ?

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Ah ha. I looked at one of those recently on the counter in the plumbers merchant. 

Spot on no silly Tupperware box needed 

whoever suggested such a silly idea ??

Twas a strange looking fella.....straight hair and curly teeth :S

• Haha 1

Brilliant Nick, yes, guess I will be using the Tupperware for my sandwiches, off to  Plumbase to get two now.?

another good example of the of the wealth of knowledge the forum gives its members.

many thanks to all.

• 1 month later...

Just got round to getting these tundish as suggested above and found they let “air” out of the house out but not in. When I get the airtighness measured do they pressurise the house or de pressurise it. If it’s pressurised these will still “leak” ?

They do one test pressurising, and one depressurising.  So it will average out at "half a leak"

I have just fitted the standard tundish and D2 pipe to outside. I have not yet experimented with ways of enclosing it. For an air test, I could just tape all over it.  In fact thinking of just wwapping the tundish in clear tape, that would seal it, and let you see if anything is discharging.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

Just got round to getting these tundish as suggested above and found they let “air” out of the house out but not in. When I get the airtighness measured do they pressurise the house or de pressurise it. If it’s pressurised these will still “leak” ?

The house will be put under excessive duress during the test, nothing like what it'll be ticking over at when your just at a trickle. Block it off for the tests and panic about global warming instead. ;) 

• Haha 1