Demolition

Triassic

So I have planning approval for the replacement of our existing dilapidated wooden dormer bungalow and following an enforced lull in my self build programme, due to the stop, start, stop, start sale of our existing house, fingers crossed it actually completes next month!, I'm now trying to get back on track. So can I simply dismantle the existing bungalow to allow the construct of the new house, or is there any hoops I need to jump through first before removing it?

Edited by Triassic

Yes we had to submite a demolition notice to Building control which was approved in a couple of days and Notify the Firebrigade. I thought it was going to be more difficult than it was as we were removing over 400m2 of Asbestos roofing!

15 minutes ago, jack said:

I assume all councils have something similar, but certainly in our case we had to submit a notice of demolition. It's just a formality. 

Which I understand normally takes a few weeks to come through.

Ferdinand

As above you need to file a section 80 demolition notice with the council which can take up to 6 weeks but is normally processed in a few days. The part that can be most time consuming is getting power and gas stripped back from the building, so get on to the utility companies asap. In the section 80 you will need to state that you have notified the utility companies, and building control sometimes contact them as well. Any demolition company will want an asbestos survey to meet hse and protect its workers, and this is critical if any material is being removed from site to ensure there are not any issues of contaminated waste. Depending on your plans for on site electricity it might me easier to just move the incoming power to the boundary or convenient location, and the use it as a temporary builders supply during the build and then also the final location of your meter cabinet. This saves on paying to move it twice.

I'm hoping to reuse the rubble on site by using a concrete cruncher and reuse most of the timber building a workshop. Whether the radiators, copper pipe and fittings are worth much from a small bungalow, I doubt. The hot tank is a less common size and not too old so might be saleable.

I did this with a commercial project and it proved to be a pain - you need a bigger crusher than you expect especially if you're going to pull founds or concrete slabs up as these do not crush well in the smaller machines. 

Ignoring the environmental impact, I worked out that it would have been more cost effective to take off site and buy in the hardcore 

I'd agree with the above wholeheartedly.  Our ground works chap had his own crusher back at his yard and consequently was able to give us a good price on crushed hardcore for our site access.  However, what we got was not at all good.  I went over and had a look at his crusher and it was a medium sized one that really wasn't up to crushing the wide range of stuff being chucked into it.  The result was that there was a wide variation is size (some bits were half-brick sized lumps of hard concrete) and there was also a fair bit of rubbish in it.  I spent a lot of time removing old galvanised steel plate wall ties, bits of assorted reinforcing steel etc from the top layer, just to minimise the risk of damage to vehicle tyres.

The large crushing plants have the ability to sort and grade what comes out, so you end up with a cleaner and more uniform hardcore that compacts more easily (ours didn't compact as well as I'd hope, but did manage to keep vehicles out of the clay beneath).

I shall be crushing only breeze blocks and concrete. I'm hoping I'll be able to remove any cr@p before it goes into the crusher. The type of crusher I'll use allows different sizes of output material so hopefully it will compact. My neighbour's builder had several loads of rubble delivered, most of it half brick size, which I thought was rubbish.