My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The boiler shouldn't fire if the 3 cylinder stats are turned down. If it does, we have a problem. Give it a whirl...

It hasn't come on but I didn't think it would as it doesn't come on anyway if the cock thermostat is turned right down, I have to keep that one turned right up as it switches the boiler off if the boiler room gets warm (which surprise surprise it tends to!). I have no idea why he put a bloody thermostat there! So I can turn stat 3 to 65 but I don't think anything will kick in until the cock thermostat is turned back off. Can try it tho! 

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, ill just add, if the ambient isn't low enough to allow the cylinder stats to have 'clicked' off, this won't work....its just popped into my head sorry. 

When you turned the cylinder stats down, did you hear a click as they switched off? My bad. 

Don't think so :S. I can open the back door and make it freezing? Always bloody cold in Scotland anyway ;)

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Don't think so :S. I can open the back door and make it freezing? Always bloody cold in Scotland anyway ;)

Just try turning them slowly from minimum to maximum and then back to minimum. see if they click on the way back down or lowest setting. Quite important. Oops. 

Just try turning them slowly from minimum to maximum and then back to minimum. see if they click on the way back down or lowest setting. Quite important. Oops. 

Yep, all good, they all click at about 30. And I didn't need to open the back door and freeze to death ....... :D

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I have all heatmiser in mine. All the stats are linked to a control unit which is then linked to the valves on each loop on the manifold. 

IMG_20180222_205827.jpg

Yep, I have 4 of these! 

BDEF4215-2704-4C43-B436-C231E255582B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cool. 

Now, turn the highest cylinder stat ( 1 ) up to max. Does the boiler fire up?

Nope, but it does fire up if I turn the cock thermostat up. And it also fires up with the highest cylinder stat (1) set to min with the cock thermostat turned up ........ 24kw power on display. 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nope, but it does fire up if I turn the cock thermostat up. And it also fires up with the highest cylinder stat (1) set to min with the cock thermostat turned up ........ 24kw power on display. 

Ok, not good. It seems the boiler output temperature is governing the TS set temp. BAD. Its not anything to dial 999 for but basically if the boiler internal stat ever fails the TS will overheat until one of the safety measures cuts in. The cylinder stats tells the boiler to provide heat according to output / demand so it can replenish spent energy accordingly. Having the cock-stat ( he's a cock again now sorry ) dictating the TS temp is rough as it gets, and is just horrendous.   

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, not good. It seems the boiler output temperature is governing the TS set temp. BAD. Its not anything to dial 999 for but basically if the boiler internal stat ever fails the TS will overheat until one of the safety measures cuts in. The cylinder stats tells the boiler to provide heat according to output / demand so it can replenish spent energy accordingly. Having the cock-stat ( he's a cock again now sorry ) dictating the TS temp is rough as it gets, and is just horrendous.   

Crap! I think Apollo 13 did manage to return to earth after the oxygen explosion. Just hope my TS can do the same! :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, now we move forward. I have to accept the boiler stat will now control the TS, not great but it is what it is. Set the cock-stat ( lets abbreviate with CST ) to max and set the boiler on board temp to 65oC. Then we need to wait for the TS to get up to temp. With us so far?

So you want me to turn the temp on the boiler itself down from 70 to 65 and leave all the cylinder stats at zero? CST is already at max. 

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

65oC target, you say 7 more to go from 43oC, which means youve already been AT the Voddy :D Try 23 lol. 

Ah, but it never goes above 50 degrees according to the dial on the TS. UFH pump is running and that top green thing is red hot again. Is the boiler supposed to switch off when it reaches temperature? It's scaled back to 18kw now. 

What happening is your boiler is chucking out heat at 100mph. Its getting to the PHE and that'll only allow say 75mph of the heat to travel through it, as its a heat exchanger so won't convey 100% of the energy from one side to the other. The boiler fired first at 24kw, but has then had some of the hot water its produced sent back via the return pipe, so the boiler has adjusted to compensate for the heat that it can get RID of, rather than what it can produce. There is no reason that the TS shouldn't get to 65oC, just it'll take a while longer to get there vs if the boiler was circulating direct through the TS instead of going via the PHE. 

• Thanks 1

Good boiler BTW :)

FYI, the drop in output to compensate is referred to as "modulating". A very good feature to have. 

We're down to 12kw now so on a go slow so I think the boiler's having a cuppa. The dial next to the PHE reads 50 and the other one reads 45. It's been like that for a fair bit so I don't think the TS is going to get any hotter with the boiler set to 65. Might be wrong but just a feeling ......