Kwikstage Stage Scaffolding: tolerances

Busy putting up our Kwikstage scaffolding.

I've looked for guidance on build tolerances for scaffolding , but can't find any (scaffolder forums).

SWMBO says 3mm on the horizontal diagonal in any single (2.44m)  bay is fine. I say less than 5 is fine.  Result: polite war.

Am I dead?

Ian

You’ll be surprised how out of upright you can get away with, if it falls over you went a bit too far ?

but seriously i waould say 25mm over that distance will be fine. Imagine the Center of gravity, then imagine how far you would have to push it to get it over its tipping point. It’s the same with diggers. 

Put it all up planks and all so it's roughly level then do your final adjustments with the Jack legs to get it as close as you can. Don't be afraid to wedge a plank from the ground diagonally up so it catches a star on the standard. It will steady it up a lot. 

Wear a hat when you are taking it down or the dust will drive you insane.

Edited by Declan52

47 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Put it all up planks and all so it's roughly level then do your final adjustments with the Jack legs to get it as close as you can. Don't be afraid to wedge a plank from the ground diagonally up so it catches a star on the standard. It will steady it up a lot. 

Wear a hat when you are taking it down or the dust will drive you insane.

One would hope you have the proper diagonal braces, and for a long run make a bracing tower.

I just used builders that I knew who were not bothered. Indeed they altered the scaffold as and when they needed to.  As it happens, I didn't have enough to scaffold my whole house, so the back and 2 ends were done with my Kwikstage, and the front they used their own Cuplock scaffold. NONE of it was erected by professional scaffolders and none had a weekly check.

I do find the use of system scaffold like Kwikstage and Cuplock much more common here in Scotland, and it is also very common for small builders to just bring and erect their own.

Weekly check is an odd one and only ever seems to happen on large sites. I prefer a daily check, and I used to go over all of ours with a hammer and knock the wedges in every day to check it was all tight. Its a 10 minute job but really makes the whole lot feel safer.