Hey from Essex... xx

Yzzy

13 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

Faffing poo farts that took far too long to sort out!!! (and I'm a web bloody designer!!!)

Hearding bloody pandas? wtf

Herding pandas...you'd hate Linux then! :)

I've tried Photobucket, Tinypic, Imgur, Postimage etc. Just think Flickr.....is well, slicker!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

it ain't woodworm, they can't suck it that dry! is there any mycelium ( long white stands) or rusty dust? it does look like dry rot, what condition is the floor in? any bounce in the floor if the boards are running parallel to that wall?

Floor has MDF on it from what I've seen, will investigate tomorrow once I get all the rubbish sacks out and video again.... me bouncing up and down on it !! ... Any of the mold where? On the skirting or anywhere in the house ... only there is a whole host of colours and variations of mold about the house o.O

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Dry rot maybe?

Is it peppered with pin holes which could indicate the flight holes of long departed woodworm?

Feck..... this is it to a T.....

OK it's dry rot...

WHAT NOW! *runs off crying*

6 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

Feck..... this is it to a T.....

OK it's dry rot...

WHAT NOW! *runs off crying*

Just be very cautious when stripping any of this sort of timber and wear a decent mask. Mouldy spores can be nasty when they get in the lungs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yes it will be the hoarded shite for years..... the wall in question had a huge wall unit against it for almost 40 years, Daddy used to go in to the room and gas heater heat it to buggery while playing music, smoking etc with his friends and then during the day it was left un-heated... no central heating in the house. So I suspect it might be that.... please!!! lol

cant see any pattern on the wall of the mold though... There was on other walls in the kitchen for example.. I thought it was some plant roots that had travelled from the plant pots she suspended on the walls!!!

This is the room and the wall above the skirting.... I have no idea why half the wall is different... 

11th mr1.jpg

Edited by Vision Of Heaven

Thank you all... what's the 'Ian' ref.... is that your real name @recoveringacademic

I'll dig about some more tomorrow, the other side of that wall is the old library and that is f***ed.... excuse my expletives ... The room above it has a crapped out ceiling so pigeons got in, they have done goodness knows what (haven't looked yet) and the ceiling in the library is slowly falling in, the pigeons took a fancy to that room and all the old books and bookcases are saturated in guano.. I will 'try' and see if I can find a safe socket to plug the lamp I am using to light up the library and do a video tomorrow.

Does anyone else dream about their soon to be / hope to be homes... like as if the homes were clean and lovely?

For years all my recurring dreams about big houses or that house have been in a terrible state.... but lately I am dreaming about us all in there and it's lovely!! (us as in family... not you guys! lol) 

If it is dry rot you are going to be removing and replacing all affected wood, then extra as a buffer, then treating the rest. If you are doing floors etc it would make sense to treat everything you can reach.

And everything removed needs to be handled very carefully to prevent reinfection from the waste - hopefully others can outline the exact procedures.

You may be into professional assessments even if self-treating.

It will be worth spending some time learning properly about it, which I am sure you will do anyway. For one thing it can grow through walls, plaster and masonry.

One link:

https://www.timberwise.co.uk/2008/10/dry-rot-the-facts-from-the-dry-rot-experts/

Ferdinand

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

Yes it will be the hoarded shite for years..... the wall in question had a huge wall unit against it for almost 40 years, Daddy used to go in to the room and gas heater heat it to buggery while playing music, smoking etc with his friends and then during the day it was left un-heated... no central heating in the house. So I suspect it might be that.... please!!! lol

cant see any pattern on the wall of the mold though... There was on other walls in the kitchen for example.. I thought it was some plant roots that had travelled from the plant pots she suspended on the walls!!!

This is the room and the wall above the skirting.... I have no idea why half the wall is different... The line being the position of a dado rail

1 hour ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

11th mr1.jpg

That looks like my parent's place - 30's house,  Above the line had had simple wallpaper below had had heavy duty paper that was painted repeatedly with gloss paint 

Edited by Hecateh

This is totally different cement though and only on that wall... I am wondering if there had already been a dry rot issue there and it wasn't dealt with correctly ... >:(

The hallway has glossed over wallpaper... it's so weird! Why did people gloss walls??

12 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

This is totally different cement though and only on that wall... I am wondering if there had already been a dry rot issue there and it wasn't dealt with correctly ... >:(

The hallway has glossed over wallpaper... it's so weird! Why did people gloss walls??

Easier to clean with perhaps smoke :-).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Easier to clean with perhaps smoke :-).

Protection against the ravages of 7 kids. 9_9

I finished off the bigger half of the kitchen today, got a zillion black and pink bags out for the refuse men and then decided I'd had enough...... I gave in and now I am at home waiting for child #3 to come home from Uni for half term !!! yay..... 

Edited by Yzzy
removed video

Have you got suspended wooden floors downstairs? Well worth looking to see if the airbricks have been covered over /compromised. Also if you've had some dodgy extension on there in the past it might have interrupted the "by design" airflow under the house and left it inadequately ventilated.

Are you in a position to do it up to a minimum, saleable standard and then flog it to some mug who likes a challenge?

Put the money towards a low energy self build.

I appreciate the sentimental attachment. Our place the wife was born in then by an odd sequence of events we bought it 40 years later. The size of the mortgage isn't worth the grief I sometimes think. Everything is failing.

I'd have honestly been better off setting fire to £20 notes. I don't think our kids will thank us if it becomes theirs.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Have you got suspended wooden floors downstairs? Well worth looking to see if the airbricks have been covered over /compromised. Also if you've had some dodgy extension on there in the past it might have interrupted the "by design" airflow under the house and left it inadequately ventilated.

Are you in a position to do it up to a minimum, saleable standard and then flog it to some mug who likes a challenge?

Put the money towards a low energy self build.

I appreciate the sentimental attachment. Our place the wife was born in then by an odd sequence of events we bought it 40 years later. The size of the mortgage isn't worth the grief I sometimes think. Everything is failing.

I'd have honestly been better off setting fire to £20 notes. I don't think our kids will thank us if it becomes theirs.

oh gawd do you really think so? I do feel like just selling it sometimes but ..... 

Yes there are air vents outside the front and they are open and clear from outside.

I need to hurry up and empty the bloody thing and get someone in to tell me if it's worth all the back ache and probably lung disease! 

Does that video look like dry rot then?

The video looks very like wet rot hyphae to me.  Compare with these photos:

wet-rot-strands.jpg

wet-rot-asterostroma.jpg

Dry rot does something similar, but looks a bit different, with white hyphae:

dry-rot-strands.jpg

The good news is that wet rot is generally easier to treat, the bad news is that the floors are going to have to come up for sure, to see what's under there.

• Sad 1

On a Victorian place of that age (I own a couple of 1860's terraces) there should really be visible air vents front and rear so you get cross ventilation to keep under the floor damp free

I wonder if the "1920/yellow brick" add on at the back has interrupted this? The leaky flat roof won't help.

At the moment due to various issues I'm in the "sentiment is overrated" camp btw! :(

Edited by Onoff
  • Sad 1

ahhhhh ballsocks! I dont want any kind of rot!!! 

Ok... I still have half a kitchen to empty and a library with a gazillion wet, rotting HEAVY books to empty. Once that is done we will start looking under floors and I will video.

Good news is.... someone is coming to take away that fridge freezer in the video on Saturday and empty / tip it for me all for £30 !!!

All official and means I dont have to do the dirty.... ((( hurlll)))

I will however be gorilla taping the buggery out of it before I attempt to sack barrow it out of the house... the thought of that falling and doing a grand reveal is..... :S