Hey from Essex... xx

Yzzy

I was at a tyre centre at Stoke Mandeville back in the late 80's.  I funny little, familiar look fellow turned up to get an inner tube fitted to his wheel barrow tyre.

It was Derek Edward Trotter, better known as David Jason.

I wonder if he still has that same barrow.  He had the same car as me once, we got them fixed at the same garage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

Your cat reminds me of one of mine...... I am a cat fiend.... Horses are my fave animals but you know.... you cant get many of them to a lounge.... cats...... love...... cats..... I haz free katzes at the moment and they make me mis-spell everything to do with them.... magical animzls...... (plus I am 1/2 Czech)

Miska (Mishka) - means mouse

Siska (Shishka) - means dumpling

Whisper..... well yeah she was named by my American hubba!

I did have an amazing Tom Cat called Spider...... he had black fur, black whiskers and was built like a bear....... someone stole him.... (ok this is turning in to a pet thing, is there a pet section? lol )

Out cat popped its clogs last autumn, and is now in the bamboo bed tickling Erwin Schrödinger with a garden cane.

We are hoping the bamboo will grow as tall as the cat used to be able to jump before it reached 19.

• Haha 1

I was bought for my 40th a galvanised B&Q barrow. They seem to last longer than the black painted ones by miles. That was 10 years ago. Battered to Hell but still going strong. The solid /run flat wheels are a boon unless you have a foot pump or compressor handy. A properly pumped tyre makes a massive difference to the effort required to push.

I'm sure I either added a puncture proof wheel to mine or made it so with some deft stabs in the tyre and carefully filling with gun foam...didn't do it that long ago!

@recoveringacademic what does she get here for least £££? Seems good value but needs translation a bit!

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Masko-wheelbarrow-100-LITER-garden-barrow-200-KG-garden-wheelbarrow-Galvanised/222453399860?hash=item33cb418134:m:mnNDazNyIi01vm5wkZ9a0PA

• Like 1

That's one thing that was putting me off.... there is a LOT of rubbish about the house / garden and I could just see the tyres puncturing every few minutes and me ripping my hair out.... solid tyres it has to be!

ooohh Onoff that's a good price... My German is good enough to understand luckily.... Free delivery though? Really! Hmmmm

Ahhhh that's for a wheel!!!!! LMAO!

It's £41.34 for the Angled barrow

Edited by Vision Of Heaven

3 minutes ago, Vision Of Heaven said:

ooohh Onoff that's a good price... My German is good enough to understand luckily.... Free delivery though? Really! Hmmmm

I would imagine it's quite genuine tbh. I've bought loads of stuff from Europe / the Far East etc never had a problem. CAREFUL...two prices there I think and the cheaper one will come with a pump up tyre. Hence my asking out resident German for a translation! 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

I was planning on going to the house today but my eldest son wasn't home to sit in the house while the Maths Tutor is here (youngest boys are home educated) so I am on my sofa with laptop picking what skip to hire for delivery on Saturday... (not that I don't trust the tutor alone with the boys but you know...) :P

I've changed my 12 month plan a bit (mainly due to being ahead of schedule) and am going to get a 6Y skip and hopefully between hubby and I we can empty the front garden of all the plants, soil and masonry... Although I may keep some of the odd, lumpy, black brick things framing the flower beds and make a rockery in one corner.

The goal for that garden is to have it paved and any plants to be grown in tubs / pots .... and the rockery of course if I have one!

So, today is all about ordering the skip and picking 2 wheel barrows for us.... oohhh and some shovels! yay I get to do more online window shopping.... 

a door? What a door in the actual skip or an old door to use as a ramp (I'm a skip virgin!)

ok did some googling and some have flaps.... cool

What's an 'Essex' garden and why am I sensing it's meant as an insult? o.O Mediterranean gardens are mostly paved with pots for plants... are they based on some 'Essex' design I haven't heard of?

There's permit parking on the road... we thought it makes sense to use the front for extra parking, the front garden wasn't ever sat in or used plus the huge  Sycamore tree outside on the pavement covers the whole place every year in leaves. 

There's a thin strip of planting space along the house edge that we will keep as a flower bed so old ladies have something to froo froo over as they walk past, the rest will be lavender and various other plants in pots of some description.

This is all in my head of course because the likely outcome is we don't find enough money to actually do anything apart from empty the house and will be forced to sell it and carry on as we are...... only 500k richer lol

So this is my plan... after the lotto win of course!

At the moment there is a wall between the kitchen and the dining room (we always called it the breakfast room but they didn't have that option in the software! lol )

There is also a door from the small lounge towards the stairs which I want blocked off....

The room marked 'other room' was our library but I want to build a wall down part of it, use the bigger part as a utility room / larder and the smaller part as a closet for coats and shoes.

I was wanting folding doors on to the back garden and on to the side garden but someone said they are rubbish and aren't wind tight so I'm thinking sliding doors at the back (West facing) and french for the side (South facing)... I kinda like the idea of opening up the walls and not seeing the doors though so will sulk about that when the time comes. 

The upstairs is pretty much the same layout apart from no room where the toilet is and the small dining room..... The main part of the house (the original red brick build in 1900) seems to be solid and lovely... the back part (yellow brick added sometime before 1920) was slapped up by idiots, the flat roof is leaking like crazy and is rotting, the bathroom is falling in to the kitchen below it and the outside loo building as I said above has budlia and other fauna growing in it... 

Oh and there is a small box room above where the front door vestibule is.... we used it as a sewing / ironing room but I don't do any of that rubbish so it will be a little bedroom....

plain plan.png

Another question...... if we have a small caravan in the garden for making tea and having a pee..... does that then make the house 'occupied'? It wont be for living in, just for a rest room although it will have beds in it etc of course..

Doesn't take much to fill an 8y skip does it!!!! OMG

We did the breakfast room today, it's been leaking water for at least a year if not more and everything was saturated and stunk like Shreks ass..... After a liberal spraying of Jeyes it was tolerable and we gutted the room!

This room was jammed packed full of crap about 5 foot high and in every nook and cranny, even had an M&S shopping Trolley in there!

I say we need to rip everything out up to wall level and cover from elements..... Hubby says cover the roof with tarp until we have £ to re-build..... trouble is the flat roof has a rather charming swimming pool developed on top and the ceiling dips in a wee bit.... I'd rather demolish and skip it all while we have the skip and skip £ than it all collapse in a months time and we can but stare at it all.....

I'm no expert and have never done this before so any input would be fabulous you amazing people!! xxxx

Some photos... :D I tend to write inspirational rubbish on the walls... it really helps me wen I feel overwhelmed by the devastation of it all.... I walk in to a cleared room and see the self-pep-talk and think YES!!!!! come on bitch lets get working!!!!!

LMAO at my cheeky hubby in one photo... I said "give us a cheeky grin!" and he did... didn't notice until now... So this room is the corner room between the small lounge and kitchen, it was added on after the main build we think and i would like the wall where hubby is standing in the kitchen down to make that one big room....The wall where it has my pep-talk leads to the small lounge.. it always had a wall opening there but Mother boarded it up for heating reasons.... The door on the back covered in celophane is one we put up last year as robbers had smashed the original one... no it doesn't fit properly... 

11th BR2.jpg

11th br3.jpg

11th br4.jpg

11th br5.jpg

11th br6.jpg

11th breakfast room.jpg

11th skip3.jpg

We also cleared what will be (one day) our main lounge at the front... it was our Music Room growing up and as such we still have a couple of pianos in there, one I am keeping and one I am going to offer to a music shop or trash as it has pigeon poopies in it and well I prefer the Evestaff anyway! 

Photos!!!

Hmm didn't take any of the window end or door wall corner.... Tell you what though, now it's empty it's a BIG ROOM!!!! Sheesh.... Everything (cross fingers) looks sound in there, the walls aren't plasterboard but some kind of cement?? The ceiling looks cracked but I am hoping that is just damp in the many layers of paper no doubt up there... will be ripping that down to have a look this week. 

Oh yes,,, edited to add... the kickboards / skirting...... when I grab hold of the bits that are falling off they crumble and look almost like cork, is it woodworm? I cant see any holes in them but they are either made of some kind of really light wood or have dry rot perhaps? Floor boards are covered by MDF so cant see them.... yet... another job for this week.

11th mr1.jpg

11th mr2.jpg

11th mr3.jpg

Just now, Onoff said:

The walls will likely be lime plaster.

A biatch to get rawlplugs to stay in sometimes!

The ceilings I'm guessing lath & plaster (maybe some walls too). 

When I ripped the (rather droll velevet) wallpaper down I could see evidence of someone at some point having tried to hammer a nail in to the wall... they didn't get very far and all I could see was a grey cementy dent!! lol

oh and I got a wheelbarrow! B&Q £32... her name is Wheeelma!

As for rawlplugs, the only things planned for those walls are (apparently according to my american hubby).... "A god-damn HUGE tv screen for movies!!"... well good luck with that then... may have to utilise the Italian Marble Fireplace and just have it sat on that! 

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The ceilings I'm guessing lath & plaster (maybe some walls too). 

Ahhh this is good news!!! So the cracking could just be the lath coming away from the plaster? That can be fixed yes? Should I rip the wallpapery stuff off the ceiling or will that just feck the whole thing up?