24 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

A standard bar mixer. That looks impressive, and the one review likes it. And a 5 year warranty.

Given another £5 off that by various means, it is tempting to buy a couple for stock.

Can anyone shoot the product down in flames?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Personally I probably would pay the extra £15 for a Mira and the 5 year over 2 year guarantee.

I have one Mira that has been going strong since 1994 with only new shower heads.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seconds and Co suppliers of insulation at lower prices have a newsletter, and supply 10% off voucher codes sometimes via that channel. Subscribe via popup on the website.

There is one this weekend.

They tell me new stock is going on the site this weekend, so hold on for a few days before ordering.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Originally written 31/10/2017.

"Call off orders from Retail Sheds"

This evening I ordered a quantity of CLS (200 off 38 x 63mm x 2.4m) and OSB3 from Wickes, because my local branch had a special 15% discount running until the end of March following a shop refurbishment and related confusion. And to avoid any imminent price rises.

With Wickes, because their CLS tends to be banana shaped after moving from the yard to the retail floor and changing with temperature and moisture (I assume), I like to go in first thing and choose the straight ones for the guys to fit that day or the next.

This time I have not quite exchanged on the bungalow to be renovated, so they said I could pay now and collect as needed over several weeks, and would just put a tally on the chitty each time. I won't take the P and will pick up 30-40 at a time, and make sure it is cleared in 3 weeks.

Has anybody else done this at other outlets? What were the arrangements?

it seems useful - though it may just be my local branch doing me a favour and locking in The business.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 months later...

Discounts with Reloadable Cash Cards.

I have been planning to put up sample discounts available through Rewards Programmes or Employee Benefits Programmes, which are backended by people such as Reward Gateway. These are some of the discounts I can get on pretty much everything I spend in store.

Argos - 7.5%

B&Q - 8%

Boots - 15%

Currys - 6%
Debenhams - 8%

Halfords - 10%

House of Fraser - 8%

Marks and Spencer - 8.5%

Sainsbury's - 4%

Wickes - 10%

It is like a permanent version of Topcashback / Quidco, with about three to five times the savings.

I have access through the Westfield Health cash grant scheme (eg for glasses, dentists, chiropractic, hospital stays etc) Reward Programme. Since for many people Westfield more than pays for the subscription, the Reward Scheme is a free bonus.

I would love to hear of more membership organisations who offer these programmes to their members.

Others get such schemes through their employer. I am plugging Westfield as it is the only one I know available to self-employed people.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

@Ferdinand interesting, thanks.

I use Zeek and get similar or better discounts (e.g., I just bought £150 of M&S vouchers at 15% off). This link gives you an extra £5 discount code [and it kicks back to me as well, so mods please delete if it makes you feel uncomfortable].

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richi said:

@Ferdinand interesting, thanks.

I use Zeek and get similar or better discounts (e.g., I just bought £150 of M&S vouchers at 15% off). This link gives you an extra £5 discount code [and it kicks back to me as well, so mods please delete if it makes you feel uncomfortable].

Good to know about Zeek.

• Like 1

On 29 July 2017 at 08:32, Ferdinand said:

Discounts with Reloadable Cash Cards.

As posted on page 1,

My employer uses the Edenred childcare voucher scheme. One of the fringe benefits is called "Advantages" which is the same sort of reloadable gift card and discount scheme. Similar sorts of discounts although Wickes is 9%. You occasionally get boosts though where it will be 13% or more. I think the special offer at the moment is House of Fraser at 14%

I don't like having to buy a card and wait for it or buying speculatively and holding the value on the card. They do a few instant e-vouchers but the selection is very limited. 

2 hours ago, daiking said:

As posted on page 1,

My employer uses the Edenred childcare voucher scheme. One of the fringe benefits is called "Advantages" which is the same sort of reloadable gift card and discount scheme. Similar sorts of discounts although Wickes is 9%. You occasionally get boosts though where it will be 13% or more. I think the special offer at the moment is House of Fraser at 14%

I don't like having to buy a card and wait for it or buying speculatively and holding the value on the card. They do a few instant e-vouchers but the selection is very limited. 

That is interesting. Chance would be a fine thing if i could keep a balance on a Wickes card - in and out 2 or 3 times a week at present.

Just tested a small payment and my Wickes card topped up in seconds, so I could top it up with exactly the right amount before leaving home. But that would guarantee I would find something else I wanted once I arrived at the shop, even though I tend to plan for larger purchases.

But I am sure I have something somewhere - probably something else - that only guarantees Next Working Day.

Edited by Ferdinand

B&Q Quickstep Uniclic Laminate £9-£15 per sqm.

I know we are generally not *that* impressed with laminate.

However B&Q have quite a number of Quickstep Uniclic laminate products reduced to about £9-14 per square metre, if anyone needs something OK but inexpensive, including light wood, dark wood, and stone patterns.

http://www.diy.com/search?Ntt=quickstep&Ns=p_price|0

The Quickstep Livyn Vinyl Tiles having gone back up to £30 per sqm, so I am having 20sqm of one of these on Wednesday.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Grosey said:

Thanks for mentioning this @Ferdinand I am about to place the order for a b and q kitchen for our utility. I'm pretty sure my employer (BT) has a gift card purchase scheme. 

@Grosey 

Do not forget to order/pay on a Wednesday and take granny along ! Could save 10% if an over-60 joins the Diamond Club.

But B&Q are more enthusiastic with exclusion clauses about combining offers than many so you may be poleaxed if eg in a sale. Should combine well with a cash-card though since they are a "back end" saving not visible to the shop.

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

@Grosey 

Do not forget to order/pay on a Wednesday and take granny along ! Could save 10% if an over-60 joins the Diamond Club.

But B&Q are more enthusiastic with exclusion clauses about combining offers than many so you may be poleaxed if eg in a sale. Should combine well with a cash-card though since they are a "back end" saving not visible to the shop.

I'm assuming you can't get the OAP discount combined with tradepoint card?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grosey said:

I'm assuming you can't get the OAP discount combined with tradepoint card?

Do try it and let us know when you find out :D.

I have had so many expected Tradepoint discounts turn out not to exist that I tend only to buy at B&Q if I see a sale or if no one else has an item, and the Tradepoint is a bonus rather than a substantive reason for going there.

Edited by Ferdinand

@Ferdinand how does vat reclaim work regarding gift card usage?

i purchased £1750 at 9% off for b and q through work. I have an invoice for that which includes the vat. 

I then bought a kitchen to the value of £1738 but all my paperwork states "this is not a VAT invoice" - I paid at the till and my till receipt just states the amount taken from the gift card and the remaining balance. There's a chance I'll get a full receipt when the kitchen is delivered. But I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, Grosey said:

@Ferdinand how does vat reclaim work regarding gift card usage?

i purchased £1750 at 9% off for b and q through work. I have an invoice for that which includes the vat. 

I then bought a kitchen to the value of £1738 but all my paperwork states "this is not a VAT invoice" - I paid at the till and my till receipt just states the amount taken from the gift card and the remaining balance. There's a chance I'll get a full receipt when the kitchen is delivered. But I'm not sure. 

@PeterW will be better for this one.

The process should be exactly the same as normal, since the discount relates to the cash loaded onto the card, not the product purchased.

I will comment more a little later, but I expect you just ask for one.

Ferdinand

Just bought some paint in b and q and asked for a VAT receipt and they were unable to provide one. I expect because I've already paid the VAT when I purchased the gift card. An important issue to clarify as I could be making a potentially expensive mistake here!

No point saving 9% if it prevents me from saving 20% vat!

15 minutes ago, Grosey said:

Just bought some paint in b and q and asked for a VAT receipt and they were unable to provide one. I expect because I've already paid the VAT when I purchased the gift card. An important issue to clarify as I could be making a potentially expensive mistake here!

No point saving 9% if it prevents me from saving 20% vat!

Absolutely, and it is good you have mentioned it. We need to bottom this in case there is a barrier.

Certainly Wickes are quite happy with me combining this payment method with a trade account, so there can be no issue about payments for non-trade only.

16 minutes ago, Grosey said:

I think that if you insist they have no choice but to provide a VAT receipt, if they don't offer to report them to HMRC who will wonder if their VAT system, which must be vast, is sound. As I understand they have a duty to show you, the customer, how the cost of your purchase is split between goods and taxes - its an EU law so perhaps they think brexit has already happened!

They are more than happy to do it, it's more how I present all the pieces of the puzzle and paperwork to HMRC when I come to do my VAT reclaim at the end of the build. Already thinking the various bits through I'm worried they are going to reject certain elements where I have paid using gift card. 

I'll answer properly later but Gift Cards are VAT exempt for a retailer until redeemed so they have to give you the VAT receipt for the goods purchased...

Edited by PeterW
Clarified the Vat Exempt comment

It might be useful to identify the REQUIRED elements of a VAT receipt for a self-build claim so we are clear.

It would be useful background for me as I am serial renovating rather than self-building yet, so it is an issue I might easily miss.

I will ask for one next time I buy from Wickes. I have spent quite a bit there recently so they should be helpful.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand