Cost to install an ASHP

JohnnyB

How much are people being quoted to get a 5kW ASHP installed in a new build?  I have just been quoted £8k as below.  It seems rather expensive to me but after reading a few other threads on here it may not be too bad?

image.png.4d7a92aabdc724ae53a6161eaf87b88c.png

This is for the 'annexe' and the grant will be used againest the main house.  I was given an estimate of £13k after the grant for the heating and second fix plumbing in the house, which was the cheapest quote I received.  It was hard to even get quotes on that about a year ago.

Any suggestions for sensible quotes in Suffolk if this isn't sensible?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Obviously you can go through each product and see if the prices are reasonable.

What jumps out of me is £1698 for “general plumbing materials”.  No doubt there is pipework, clips, insulation, consumables etc etc which all adds up but £1698 seems high -  but not if there are specific high value items within that figure.    The £1450 installation well that depends on the hourly rate for a plumber.  Circa £40 per hour here likely more down there.  Ask how long it would take to install and hourly rate.  ASHPs are not particularly difficult to install - but every job is different. But in a new build ought to be easy as not a retrofit.

Agree the £1698 seems high.

Do you really need a buffer? If so there should probably be an external pump. Maybe one anyway, IIRC some Samsung units do not have an internal one. If it is configured as a volumiser then (i) it won't need a pump (ii) it won't have such a deleterious effect on efficiency as a buffer would.

They should be fitting two antifreeze valves, one to let air in one to let water out. Glycol might be cheaper, depending on system volume and design OAT.

@JohnnyB always a mystery why some topics get lots of replies and others are ignored. 

It doesn’t help that the forum has a dedicated ASHP section, which is separate from the Plumbing/Heating section. 

It is great that you have posted a detailed quote and others I’m sure will find it very useful. 

To me the quote looks fine. As @Bozza already mentioned, maybe £1698 for “general plumbing materials” is a bit high. The pricing of most of the kit looks reasonable. You might not need the Buffer Tank, depends on the volume requirements of the ASHP and how much UFH piping you have. I didn't go with Anti-freeze values and that is its own topic, but @sharpener is right, you will need a pair.

The quote doesn’t include groundworks, but getting the ASHP as level as possible on solid surface will pay dividends over the long term. 

If you are going down the UVC route, you should take a look at the OSO brand. @TerryE, just had one fitted. For the extra cost you get a cylinder which is insulated with Vacuum Insulated Panels, which greatly reduces the heat loss. If space is an issue HeatGeeks have recently launched a very compact UVC especially for ASHPs, which comes in many formats, even one the size of a kitchen cupboard. 

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/39202-mini-store-heat-geek-newark-cylinders-for-ashp/

@Dam0 just started an ASHP design thread today, I sure that is an interesting read. 

It is often a case of deja vu with some questions as they come up so frequently. @TheMitchells had a thread back in July about his ASHP quote. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nick Laslett said:

recently launched a very compact UVC especially for ASHPs

Slight correction - it's not an unvented cylinder as such, as it contains heating water and uses a coil to produce hot domestic water. It is more closely related to a thermal store. So does not need to comply with G3 regulations, where as an UVC has to comply with G3.

Also the OSO cylinders although good, don't have the biggest coil, which put me off. Also the increased price for vacuum insulation is very high.

4 hours ago, Nick Laslett said:

It doesn’t help that the forum has a dedicated ASHP section, which is separate from the Plumbing/Heating section. 

Thanks, I hadn't seen that, although I do remember reading the thread you linked to a while back but I couldn't find it again this morning - I quess because I wasn't looking in the ASHP section.

My quote isn't as high as that one, although I do have quite a bit less going into mine.

My space limit is in diameter but have standard height ceilings. I can get a 600mm diameter tank in there but there's not much room for lots of pipework around it. I know they have said a pre plumbed tank wouldn't fit.

@Dave Jones I do wonder if i am paying over the odds, hence the post. This isn't being done with the grant so I don't have to go MCS registered. The problem I have is I don't have the knowledge to sort it myself and don't have a local plumber I know and trust to do it well. I've done most small jobs myself and haven't needed a plumber for years.  This company have a good reputation and have installed a lot of ASHP locally and seem to know what they are doing.  It depends on how much over the odds I'm paying and if there are cheaper ways of doing it.

I have read a few of your posts this evening and it seems your advice is to keep it very simple.  Speaking to Nick earlier today I'm going to look into a Sunamp, or even a standard hot water tank heated with an immersion heater, with the ASHP just connected to the UFH.  That may help.

10 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Sunamp

Read up on Buildhub, not the best reputation. I really would do a heat pump cylinder 3m² coil or bigger. CoP of 3.5 should be a regular.

Pre plumbed is a waste of money.

Do it your self, get a Panasonic monobloc. Slimline cylinder. No need to solder, use either Hep2O barrier pipe or copper or a mix. Use Tectite push fit fittings for the copper and Hep2O for plastic and copper to plastic. Do all as a single zone, no buffer needed. So heat pump to diverter valve. Diverter to top of cylinder or heating system, the two returns tee together back to heat pump. Power to heat pump wiring between ASHP and controller.

• Like 1

From my limited experience prices are starting to come down, but only really for smaller houses.

Octopus fixed quote is now coming back £1.7k cheaper than last year and Eon are just getting in to the game, their provisional quote is £1k cheaper than octopus, but they don't lock it in the same way so that is subject to change before I get the final quote.

Get some more quotes, the spread on mine was £4000.

21 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

That is more than my whole DIY retrofit cost.

Indeed, the highest is more than twice that of the cheapest quote (after BUS, not a new build). Finally seeing some competition to weed out the made up "we're busy anyway" quotes.

On 11/09/2024 at 09:11, S2D2 said:

Octopus fixed quote is now coming back £1.7k cheaper than last year and Eon are just getting in to the game, their provisional quote is £1k cheaper than octopus, but they don't lock it in the same way so that is subject to change before I get the final quote.

I tried to get a quote from Octopus but they dont yet 'do' my area.  And its 'her', not 'him', Nick 😁.  I'm the one on the left of the pic.

On 10/09/2024 at 08:38, JohnnyB said:

How much are people being quoted to get a 5kW ASHP installed in a new build?  I have just been quoted £8k as below.  It seems rather expensive to me but after reading a few other threads on here it may not be too bad?

image.png.4d7a92aabdc724ae53a6161eaf87b88c.png

This is for the 'annexe' and the grant will be used againest the main house.  I was given an estimate of £13k after the grant for the heating and second fix plumbing in the house, which was the cheapest quote I received.  It was hard to even get quotes on that about a year ago.

Any suggestions for sensible quotes in Suffolk if this isn't sensible?

Thanks.

£8117 with no grant.

So WHY are people eligible for the BUS grant of £7500 not routinely being quoted £617 total price to them?    

• Like 1

I’ve just had a quote in from edf, more for info than anything else as I’ve got all the bits and gear on-site to do my own install.  The quote wasn’t bad, less that what I was getting when i first started the journey.  The heat pump and cylinder they are quoting for cost more than the quote total, it’s daikin kit, but is oversized by about 30% according to my own heatloss calcs.  The only things that grinds my gears a bit are when they try to charge daft money for sitting at a desk filling in a program to calculate, or come out and do a survey… £1500 - what t f.  Seriously I wouldn’t mind at a 3rd of that because they have to make a living and turn a profit but this is where the market sits at the moment.  Still it was a lot better that these so called pop up enterprises that are ‘renewables experts’ so it going in the right direction i think

17 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

I’ve just had a quote in from edf, more for info than anything else as I’ve got all the bits and gear on-site to do my own install.  The quote wasn’t bad, less that what I was getting when i first started the journey.  The heat pump and cylinder they are quoting for cost more than the quote total, it’s daikin kit, but is oversized by about 30% according to my own heatloss calcs.  The only things that grinds my gears a bit are when they try to charge daft money for sitting at a desk filling in a program to calculate, or come out and do a survey… £1500 - what t f.  Seriously I wouldn’t mind at a 3rd of that because they have to make a living and turn a profit but this is where the market sits at the moment.  Still it was a lot better that these so called pop up enterprises that are ‘renewables experts’ so it going in the right direction i think

EDF came back £1800 more than my Octopus quote, though my property seems to be a random number generator due to errors on the EPC.

Edited by S2D2