Issues with I-joist fitting

On 06/09/2024 at 21:59, ProDave said:

There is something more fundamentally wrong here.  That does NOT look like a load bearing wall, there should be a double header.  Anyone else care to confirm that or tell me it is okay?  

correct, should be at a min doubled up studs under it. i'd want written confirmation from the joist supplier that the builders 'method' of fixing the 2 cut halfs is correct. 

NHBC state multiple studs to be used on load bearing walls.

https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/6-superstructure-excluding-roofs/6-3-internal-walls/6-3-5-load-bearing-timber-walls/#:~:text=individual studs%2C rails and head,a maximum of 600mm centres

I'd pause and get an SE in, deduct his cost from builder retention, and look over the lot before anything else is covered up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

How many are cut like that? Whats the bottom of that stud sitting on, is the floor below load bearing?

There are about 14 of those joists that have been cut. In the photo below you can see the ones that go across the whole length of the house - those are the ones that were cut. You can also see in these pictures the make up of the ground floor supporting walls with only one top plate, and then the joists resting on scraps of OSB because the walls were built short. The sole plates are sat on the load bearing confrere slab. 

I agree that these don’t look like load bearing walls, but I can’t find any mention in the structural engineering drawings or building regs plans about having a double top plate. 

i will send the email I’ve written to the builder, and will request a site visit with him and the architect. We may well bring along an independent SE at that point. 

Sadly we have no financial hold on the builder as we settled the withheld final payment several months ago after the snagging list was complete. These issues have only come to light in the last couple of weeks. 

5975ba13-9ead-417a-8802-7d9bb00342c5.jpeg.c3b0068faaba7385803966903005c81a.jpeg

42225a9e-dc5b-4afc-a484-c38f77c4f899.jpeg.91142c5cfcd26cf926a2823b3fe1048e.jpeg

5f4478c3-a4d5-4d9f-90e7-f8aa3ef1f0d2.jpeg.f703737b32725a9464ca87181a622a51.jpeg

7b9f19ba-1e58-44b4-9a5e-5519a894cf88.jpeg.9f2e24a7251ddc97040205e8ffc004fa.jpeg

Ps These photos are from Nov 2022 when the structure was going up. The house is now at first fix with all floors complete, roof and windows in place, and eggerboard flooring glued and nailed to the top of the joists, so remediation of some of these issues going to be challenging.  

3 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

remediation of some of these issues going to be challenging.  

And that is going to be at the cost of the builder subject to architect/SE recommendations. IMO

Edited by joe90
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

And that is going to be at the cost of the builder subject to architect/SE recommendations. IMO

I agree! I certainly have no plans to fund any remediation to correct errors his team made when they built it. 

• Like 1

If you are going to bring an independent SE in (And I strongly recommend you do) get them in separately and before you have the builder and architect on site. They will write you a report with their opinion on the structure and remediation. You send that to the architect, the original SE, and the builder. Give them a chance to review it. Once done you get them on-site. 

Who instructed the builder? (You may have detailed this) 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Who instructed the builder? (You may have detailed this)

I engaged the builder, largely as he had undertaken the passive house design course taught by Peter Warm’s team, but also because he seemed to have good attention to the detail necessary for building to passivhaus standard, and was relatively local to us in Devon… 

Well his attention to detail on the structure is poor so his attention to detail of the harder to get right passive elements must also be questioned. Is the builder due to complete the rest of the build? 

Did the architect have any supervisory capacity or was it all passed to you and your builder so you are the project manager etc. 

In terms of fixing the problems. You are roughly at the stage I was at when we discovered all our problems and were able to address them. But it did require me to stop the build for a number of weeks. Therefore don’t be too disheartened. As everyone kept telling me, at least you caught it at a point it is fixable. Had you not then these problems would be built into your home and hidden away. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Is the builder due to complete the rest of the build? 

No, we ended our contract once the house was weathertight - we are doing the internal works and managing subcontractors for the skilled first /second fix work. 

39 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Did the architect have any supervisory capacity or was it all passed to you and your builder so you are the project manager etc

Dan, the owner of the building company, was the project manager for the build, and was, or at least should have been, supervising his team. The architect didn’t take any role in supervising the build. 

My husband and I did the air tightness taping ourselves, and the house passed its first air tightness test with flying colours. 0.28ACH @50pa!! 🎉

41 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

at least you caught it at a point it is fixable. Had you not then these problems would be built into your home and hidden away. 

Thank you! Yes, I’m relieved that this isn’t all hidden behind plasterboard and plaster that needs to come out!!

I’m optimistic that these issues can all be remediated, and hopefully without too much argy-bargy ☺️

30 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

remediated, and hopefully without too much argy-bargy ☺️

I think it is technically all sortable. Time and timber to straighten the joists , strengthen them,  and to spread the load.

It is unlikely that the builder will agree, as all the signs are that he doesn't understand structures in the slightest.....and he doesn't know how little he knows.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

he doesn't know how little he knows

yes, this is the most concerning part as, on a quick review of their new website I was surprised to read that he is a qualified engineer. It didn’t specify what kind of engineer though, or qualified to what level.

I will continue to insist that a fully qualified structural engineer is the arbiter of what is needed, and how it must be done. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Omnibuswoman said:

qualified engineer

It's not a protected word, unfortunately in the way that Architect with an A is.

On the continent a Chartered Engineer can put Ing in front of their name.

In due course we may learn the builder's name and remark what a decent chap he is, accepting his mistakes and remedying them....or otherwise.

If he did happen to be qualified in a recognised (and relevant)  body, he could be disciplined and even lose it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omnibuswoman said:

No, we ended our contract once the house was weathertight - we are doing the internal works and managing subcontractors for the skilled first /second fix work. 

unless you owe them a substantial sum that will motivate them to return, little to no chance of having them back.

Are you qualified to manage the build, do you know what you should be looking for etc ? Whilst it saves money may not be best decision.

Did you have a contract in place ?

We all know to go legal is mega bucks, no certain outcome and takes an age.

5 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Are you qualified to manage the build, do you know what you should be looking for etc ? Whilst it saves money may not be best decision.

No I’m not qualified in any way, and am having to learn enough about each element as we go along.

I have engaged a plumber, electrician and plasterer for these skilled tasks, but HWMBO and I will be doing battens, plasterboard, second fix carpentry, flooring etc.

It’s a steep learning curve, and wouldn’t be possible without the enormous amount of fantastic information here on BH, and on t’internet more widely. 

I’m managing the work at a pace that allows me to learn enough at each point to take it forward with sufficient confidence, but of course there’s no substitute for experience. What I lack is the knowledge about where to plan 10 steps ahead. Luckily I have some people I can ask for help with that thinking. I guess I’m doing what most builders do at the start - make the mistakes as I go and learning from them. What I’m not doing, which I think is less common, is hiding or covering up my mistakes behind a facade or some expanding foam. I try to put things right as I go along. 
By the time I’ve finished the house, I should just about know enough to build one 😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

We did, and I may need to fall back on that if he starts developing sloping shoulders…

I'd say the contract is for now. What does it say happens in these circumstances?

9 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

By the time I’ve finished the house, I should just about know enough to build one 😂

Like so many of us here. (Unlike @Pocster who has taken so long he has forgotten what he did 🤣).

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

This is the way we all end up, but most of us are too terrified to begin the process all over again 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

...remedial action within a reasonable time.... it says.

Perhaps you should  suggest what is a reasonable time.

I'd suggest you have already given notice and sufficient time for them to consider the remedy.

You have now to give a target programme.

So...you look forward to his formal proposal by  ...date.   23rd September? 

Which is to include his programme for the remedial works.

Failure to do this will result in omnibuswoman considering having the necessary remedial works by another contractor. You the builder will be liable for these costs, consultants and other costs arising, and also liquidated and ascertained damages caused by the delay.

I hope it doesn’t come to this and look forward to receiving your constructive proposals ASAP.

Something like that, and refer to the contract

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is this they type if thing that the builder's PI insurance will cover?

I don’t think insurance would cover the builder not following drawings and professionals instructions 🤷‍♂️

53 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I don’t think insurance would cover the builder not following drawings and professionals instructions

I don't know, why I asked.

But my car insurance cover the damage I do to others when I get totally shitfaced and plough into a building full of children, disabled children, some who have red hair.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

type if thing that the builder's PI insurance will cover?

No. 

Firstly he prob hasn't got PI. He is a builder not designer, as far as we know.

Secondly he has not built as designed or competently.

Insurer would decline and walk away.

• Like 1