Downdraft hob or overhead extractor in recirculating mode

We are at the stage of specifiying the Kitchen, and Extractor hoods are on todays agenda. I have never considered downdraft extracting Hobs before and thought they were very expensive. However, they compare well with a seperate hob and overhead extractor on price.

Question is what about the hot damp air venting behind the cabinets. Is this an issue or am i overthinking this. It does appear to be a reason for concern

10 hours ago, Post and beam said:

what about the hot damp air venting behind the cabinets

They don’t do that. 

5 hours ago, G and J said:

extracted air down to vent at the kick boards.

They do that. 

5 hours ago, G and J said:

good for warm, onion smelling toes methinks.

That doesn’t happen. 

They work well and you don’t headbutt them when you stir your broth. 

• Like 1

This is quite timely as winter is approaching and I need to sort out my kitchen extraction (never had any and since fitting secondary glazing can't open the window by the hob).

I have a simple path from the back of the hob to an outside wall (just down a bit, though a cupboard and out though a wall).

So how big is the fan and ducting?

Anyone want to post some pictures up?

As someone who cooks very often and for a large family, downdraft cannot handle it. 

I know it's been discussed here before and most people barely use their hobs so wouldn't notice, but there is no substitute for a good old fashioned hood. 

If you've got 5 pans on the go regularly, the ceiling will be a mess without it. 

• Like 1

Are downdraft extractors quieter than overhead recirculating extractors?

How well do they handle oil and pungent smells from stir frying and curry cooking?

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That is more than I ever have going at work, and I cater form 100's of people a day!

Yes but you need 1 pan to heat baked beans to serve with the pasties.

Commercial kitchens have better equipment though. 

I don't have the space for a steam oven, Bain Marie and grill, so hobs for the veg, meat and gravy will have to do. 

Some people say that saucepan lids stop steam from being a problem, but they don't understand how the reductions increase flavour. 

• Like 1

We had folk round for dinner last night and I did three courses. First time I’ve used the kitchen to its fullest extent since we moved in a few weeks ago. Both ovens in use and all of the hob. The downdraft extraction worked better than I was expecting. No cooling smells around the house either. 

12 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Yes but you need 1 pan to heat baked beans to serve with the pasties

Beans are in the microwave (get a commercial one, so much better) then into Mary's Bath.  Pasties, and sausage rolls are from the freezer, into the oven (always set at 190°C, regardless of what is cooked, except scones) and then into the cabinet.

It is all in the preparation for so that the scummy customers and throw their food onto the floor and tread it into the carpet.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

Some people say that saucepan lids stop steam from being a problem, but they don't understand how the reductions increase flavour. 

If we’re ‘boiling to reduce’ then a wooden spoon under the saucepan lid allows the steam to escape and helps to direct the steam towards the downdraught extractor. 

I suspect everyone on here who has a downdraft extractor has experienced an overhead extractor in the past, we certainly have and we would not go back to one.  

36 minutes ago, Russdl said:

I suspect everyone on here who has a downdraft extractor has experienced an overhead extractor in the past, we certainly have and we would not go back to one.  

Thanks.

So the follow up question is....

Recirculating or extract outside?

I have been thinking that with a new build and highly airtight that external extraction was a bad idea. I am sure i saw a comment yesterday in this part of the forum that in practice this is not a big deal.

54 minutes ago, Russdl said:

If we’re ‘boiling to reduce’ then a wooden spoon under the saucepan lid allows the steam to escape and helps to direct the steam towards the downdraught extractor. 

Neat idea, must remember that when we install ours.

8 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Recirculate. Keep that warmth inside!

And the smells, and more importantly, the moisture.

I would always extract properly to outside.

Not as it cooking is happening 24/7, so the extra bit of ventilation, even during the coldest days, becomes statistical noise.

11 minutes ago, Russdl said:

😱

Recirculate. Keep that warmth inside!

(other opinions will be along shortly)

Depends on your location and family size. 

Lots of houses generate too much excess heat when cooking, if you're a couple on the Scottish isles then save the heat.. A family of 7 in a city down south, getting rid of the heat is essential for a comfortable house

any ducted extractor is going to shift the stink miles better than a recirc.

we have the neff downdraught and it say is removed 10% of the stink if that.

I'd duct it next time and take the air-tightness hit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I'd duct it next time and take the air-tightness hit.

If you did would you have some form of electric shutter on the duct to close it when not in use?