External door access to comply with building regs

MarkH395

I am doing a self build barn conversion and am about to start building the path to the front door.

It sprung to mind that I might need to comply with Part M, looking through the Architects Outline Specification for disabled access it only states that sockets and switches comply.

From the drive to the door threash hold the distance is about 2200mm,  (1850mm from the back of the concrete kerb) with a 220mm drop from door to kerb.

Can I have a ramp the whole way?

Can I have a step?

Does it need a flat landing outside the front door? door opens inwards.

Do I have to do something completely different?

any advice would be appreciated

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

Loads of conflicting views in my opinion.

I would look at offering an option for approval from Building Control.

However if you are going to allow for disabled access then a ramp all the way will not be acceptable because the idea is that you have a flat area in front of the door so, if you are in a wheelchair, you can stop on a flat surface to unlock the door.

However I assume it was an existing building so other rules may apply.

Also the actual space available may mean other options may apply.

would it be possible to create disabled access through another door?

I would look at the options and speak to the Building control officer.

I'm sure someone will correct me....

Good luck

M

I expect with that limited space by the time you have got the flat area in front of the door, there won't be room to get the ramp straight out.  So more likely you will then have to have the ramp sideways, i.e. parallel to the front wall of the house.

That would allow you to just have steps from the front of the flat area down to the drive as well, so convenient for everyone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Loads of conflicting views in my opinion.

I would look at offering an option for approval from Building Control.

However if you are going to allow for disabled access then a ramp all the way will not be acceptable because the idea is that you have a flat area in front of the door so, if you are in a wheelchair, you can stop on a flat surface to unlock the door.

However I assume it was an existing building so other rules may apply.

Also the actual space available may mean other options may apply.

would it be possible to create disabled access through another door?

I would look at the options and speak to the Building control officer.

I'm sure someone will correct me....

Good luck

M

For some aspects its classed as a new build such as the insulation requirments.

there is access through the garage but that will require a longer ramp or steps becuase it is much lower than the main house.

probably best I

dont build it today and wait untill monday to ask building control for advice

I think you can put a flat area outside the door with a step down to the drive straight ahead and a ramp off to the side. Just check the height allowed before a rail is required.

You are allowed to use things like planters to make it look less like a hospital entrance.

33 minutes ago, MarkH395 said:

Can I have a ramp the whole way?

Can I have a step?

Does it need a flat landing outside the front door? door opens inwards.

Do I have to do something completely different?

You basically need a ramp from the parking area to the door, with a flat area Infront of door. No steps. Your ramp could go from door down to the left or right which ever easier. 

Just image yourself in a wheelchair, what would you want, that us basically what building regs want you have. Gentle slope, nice big flat area in fronto door. All pretty simple.

7 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

is it wide enough ? from  outside of handle to edge of frame needs be a min 750mm

Think that should be 775mm?

This is what we did

IMG_20230823_131216.thumb.jpg.830fd2bb14b472b6adc8fc8c46934642.jpg

Granite slab in front of door is flat, everything else runs away from house. The 2 slab wide path, connects to parking area and has about 300mm fall.

Our drive runs past the front door. BCO told me all I need is a 1.2mflat area in front of the door for wheelchair accessibility. I’ll likely put a path in anyway. 

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

I expect with that limited space by the time you have got the flat area in front of the door, there won't be room to get the ramp straight out.  So more likely you will then have to have the ramp sideways, i.e. parallel to the front wall of the house.

That would allow you to just have steps from the front of the flat area down to the drive as well, so convenient for everyone.

So in front of the two paving stones it will have 2 shallow steps up (120mm rise).

Then slope up hill right, then back on its self up to the door. giving a 900mm x 1800mm flat landing out the front door.

Nothing concreted in place yet, just getting positions and levels right

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

Check with your local regs and BCO.  Up here it is a minimum of 1200mm by 1200mm flat in front of the door.  One (presumably) 900mm slab would not be enough,

• Like 1

If you need to comply - you may not need to although universal access is alway best practice - either make it 1:20 to the door or put in a 1:12 ramp with a 900mmx1200 long landing at the top.

Edit: if a change of use you will need access.

Edited by ETC

• 3 weeks later...

Under English Regs Part M doesn't apply to a change of use from a building that was not previously a dwelling to a dwelling (Reg 5 (a) then Reg 6 (i)). Thus you are not obliged to, but consider would it be useful to you at a later date or to a friend or neighbour 'cos it's easier to do now rather than later.