Attaching breather membrane?

If your putting a counter batten on your going to be punching dozens of holes in the membrane 

the staples are only to hold it in place while you fit the counter batten. 
you can get a butyl tape that fits on the back of the counter batten to seal any penetrations. 
I’ve never seen anyone use it. 

22 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If your putting a counter batten on your going to be punching dozens of holes in the membrane 

the staples are only to hold it in place while you fit the counter batten. 
you can get a butyl tape that fits on the back of the counter batten to seal any penetrations. 
I’ve never seen anyone use it. 

Thanks. That’s interesting so should I be aiming to staple where the counter batten will be positioned? 

There are 2 schools of thought: 1. A hole with a fixing in it (a staple in this case) is not a hole at all and 2. (The more pessimistic one: A hole with a staple in might leave a residual hole). Both are valid! If you are at all concerned get a roll of suitable external-grade air-tightness tape (I know this is not an a/t issue, but some tapes are waterproof too) and stick a small piece over each staple. Tedious, but you can tick that off and proceed to the next issue. The butyl tape would work too - double-sided for pref. A mall piece wherever a nail is going through and Robert is your parent's sibling.

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

There are 2 schools of thought: 1. A hole with a fixing in it (a staple in this case) is not a hole at all and 2. (The more pessimistic one: A hole with a staple in might leave a residual hole). Both are valid! If you are at all concerned get a roll of suitable external-grade air-tightness tape (I know this is not an a/t issue, but some tapes are waterproof too) and stick a small piece over each staple. Tedious, but you can tick that off and proceed to the next issue. The butyl tape would work too - double-sided for pref. A mall piece wherever a nail is going through and Robert is your parent's sibling.

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Can you recommend a stapler… the manual ones I’ve tried previously struggle to go into osb.

38 minutes ago, junglejim said:

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Can you recommend a stapler… the manual ones I’ve tried previously struggle to go into osb.

I regret not, but there are compressed air staplers starting at under £50 in places like 'ToolFixstation'. Of course you'd need to buy or hire a compressor but they exist to buy at £100+, and presumably might be useful to you in the next stages of the job.

1 hour ago, junglejim said:

Hammer tacker