drilling porcelain tiles

Tom

Hi all - I need to drill a few 22mm holes in porcelain tiles that are already fixed down. Any recommendations for a bit to use for the job? Using them wet or dry make much difference? https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-bit-22mm-x-80mm/51759?tc=EA4&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwydSzBhBOEiwAj0XN4IE3Cru0MOS9d8uWcNMrIZCxF4tpkF6zKDXy4_2HiuQqDWm7vgQTYBoCBQcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Absolutely do not under any circumstances want to crack a tile!

I found the hard pointed tile bits to be good  First put a bit of Sellotape (other clear sticky backed plastics are available) over the drilling location and it will hold the tip and stop the glaze chipping.

these are at SF too. I think I'd buy a big brand though, or from Topps.

Titan Tile & Glass Drill Bits 4 Piece Set

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Crack porcelain tiles? I don’t know if that’s possible. It’s hard enough drilling through with diamond bits!

that bit you linked will do the job nicely. I used the Erbauer diamond bits (8, 10 and 12mm) and not a crack in sight

• Thanks 1

It’s easy enough to diy a guide out of an offcut of thin timber. Drill a 22mm hole in it and hold it (or get someone else to hold it) firmly in place whilst you get started with the diamond bit. 

• Thanks 1

I used these to drill porcelain tiles last year, with tremendous success.  I did that thing where I crammed the drill bits with water soaked sponge.  Was able to drill very close to the edge of the tiles.

if you use them be aware of the tendency for them to slip until your get a groove created, I found going it at a slight angle, create a slight half moon shaped groove, then bring drill up to 90 degrees to create the full circle then obviously dril through.  If that makes sense.

As you only have one go as the tiles are they fixed you may wish to consider creating a timber drill jig.  If you wish to use them.  Better still buy a similar single porcelain tile sample and practice to get your technique.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DTHGN5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Hi all - I need to drill a few 22mm holes in porcelain tiles that are already fixed down. Any recommendations for a bit to use for the job? Using them wet or dry make much difference? https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-bit-22mm-x-80mm/51759?tc=EA4&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwydSzBhBOEiwAj0XN4IE3Cru0MOS9d8uWcNMrIZCxF4tpkF6zKDXy4_2HiuQqDWm7vgQTYBoCBQcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The core type are by far the best 

Plenty of water 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks all. I like the look of the erbauer guide but think I'll try the ply offcut method - not that I've got massive balls though, more that I'm massively tight

Edited by Tom
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I found the hard pointed tile bits to be good  First put a bit of Sellotape (other clear sticky backed plastics are available) over the drilling location and it will hold the tip and stop the glaze chipping.

these are at SF too. I think I'd buy a big brand though, or from Topps.

Titan Tile & Glass Drill Bits 4 Piece Set

Not sure they'd be man enough for porcelain tbh. I've used them on ceramic in the past though, and worked well

42 minutes ago, Pocster said:

@Tom - grow a pair mate . Great big pair . No fannying around in this forum 💪💪💪💪

I DO have a pair, I believe my wife keeps them in a drawer 😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DO NOT USE the hammer function of the drill

DO NOT press hard

It might take half an hour to drill one hole

Pointed drill bits won't work on porcelain, only ceramic

Use a spray bottle to keep the drill bit cool

Buy 3 bits and have in 3 different drills so you don't get the drills or bits too hot.

The drill bits will only do 3/4 holes before they need binning, that seems to be the case with Rubi, Erbauer or whatever make.

I use this company for diamond drill bits and blades.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251157798718?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0uyIXPBZQ9G&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=sZUbc1BTTHO&var=550182062082&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pocster said:

As SWMBO says to me

Don’t Push too hard . Nice and easy . Slow and steady saves the day .

That also works for drilling holes in tiles .

What does she say about your hammer function?

• Haha 1