Velux sun tunnel effectiveness?

afternoon.

My landing upstairs is now landlocked, that is the only window to the landing has gone, replaced with the new side extension/bedroom door so it has literally no light other than what comes up the stairs from the front door.
Im wanting to get a Velux sun tunnel and the 14" version will come in through the roof rafters but be "off center" to the landing/walkway. However, the 10" version will go almost center but i have my reservations on going smaller when the whole idea is to get light in.

Has anyone any experience with the 10" rigid version and how effective it is? South facing, rigid tube about 1.5m in length.

Cheers everyone.

I fitted 2 14 inch Velux  in to mine and none in the identical house next door. The difference is like night and day ! I am on site I'll post some photos soon.

I don't regret it for a minute.

• Like 1

thanks guys. Its between the 10" and the 14" im torn over though. The 14" will end up off-centre and may very well drive me (the missus) mad, whereas the 10" will be pretty much central due to rafter spacing. But i dont have any real means to compare the output of the 2.

I'd go for the smaller one central. You will still get plenty of light but may regret it if it's not central. I had a battle to get mine in the centre but glad I did. Phone just died on me so photos later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canski said:

I'd go for the smaller one central. You will still get plenty of light but may regret it if it's not central. I had a battle to get mine in the centre but glad I did. Phone just died on me so photos later.

thanks fella.

If anyone has experience of the 10" version id love to hear your opinion if you regret going smaller.

>>> But i dont have any real means to compare the output of the 2.

Suggest light will be ~proportional to area, so 14" will let in roughly twice the light of the 10". Our eyes are a bit logarithmic though, so perceived extra brightness might well be < twice.

Does that help any? :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> But i dont have any real means to compare the output of the 2.

Suggest light will be ~proportional to area, so 14" will let in roughly twice the light of the 10". Our eyes are a bit logarithmic though, so perceived extra brightness might well be < twice.

Does that help any? :)

I'm not sure! 😆

We had one in our last house for an otherwise dark landing.  It worked very well indeed.  But if I had a £ for every time a visitor said they could not find the switch to turn the landing light off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I did some work on sunpipes for Monodraught about 25 years ago.

It is really not that hard to make one as long as there is not much of a bend.

They are pretty cheap in the scheme of things and the flat velux ones are pretty nice looking. I just hope the 10" one does the job.

I have fitted them 14inch in 2 customer houses.  One house had 4, 3 flexi tube and 1 rigid, the rigid is a lot brighter than flexi so I would go with the 10inch rigid in the middle. 

If it has no windows now, even a small amount of light will make a huge difference. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Super_Paulie said:

Looks like that works a treat. I've gone for a rigid 10"er, should arrive this week and I'll report back once I've had my roof guy put the external part in.

That's the easy bit -)

15 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

There's a huge amount of light comes through any skylight.

Any  hole through a roof is a liability. Is there a flashing kit?

Presumably your roofer knows about rain and leaks and overlapping. They don't all.

yeah it comes with the flashing just like the normal velux.

Thats up to the roofer! But yeah, not a complicated job, few hours tops but i aint going up on no roof.

33 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Sensible.

Bug this is why so many people claiming to be roofers get away with it. No fear, no checks.

hes family, so i'll hold him to account but im 100% on his work 👌

We made a last minute change and added a rooflight for the hallway. I considered a light tunnel instead but we decided that making a feature of the rooflight would add some interest to otherwise flat ceilings. It has a created wonderfully light airy hallway. I love the being able to see the sky when you walk in. There’s a glazed door to be fitted giving you a view to the hills beyond. 

IMG_1866.thumb.jpeg.fe1410bf902d011d53a85bdc32827f30.jpegIMG_1867.thumb.jpeg.136bd03e417d705c6b659cd3d0eee293.jpeg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Super_Paulie said:

yeah, amazing stuff Kelvin. Im not so lucky/rich.

Velux do windows that aren’t that much more than the sun tunnels if you’d prefer a window.