Cheaper to make a fence from PV

17 hours ago, NandM said:

Is this price drop temporary? I'll be needing approx 15-18 panels around this time next year

Prices were on there way down prior to COVID, then prices shot up with the shortfall in production, prices are now reducing again. Trouble with PV the models of the panels keep changing, the prices fluctuate a lot.  End of line stock will always be cheaper, same as slightly lower performance panels.

Wait you maybe ok, wait you may not, who knows.

21 minutes ago, NandM said:

hmmm...I'll see if I can automate some sort of price checking to keep an eye on prices.

Post your findings here please, as I am in the same dilemma, buy now for use later, or wait.

On 02/04/2024 at 08:58, ToughButterCup said:

I bet very few people do the area / price calculation. But when you do so 🫣

BTW: How @SteamyTea ? Without incriminating yourself ......

I follow the two methods mentioned.

I normally run a bypass paywalls extension, and use archive.ph.

Incidentally I find that Adblock Plus and Adblock Pro together (think it is mainly the latter) are quite effective at skipping Youtube ads.

On 13/04/2024 at 09:02, NandM said:

hmmm...I'll see if I can automate some sort of price checking to keep an eye on prices.

This article makes me think prices of panels have further to fall:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/losing-hope-rescue-some-european-solar-firms-head-us-2024-04-15/

This part jumps out:

More than a year's worth of low-price imported panels sit in European warehouses awaiting installation, according to consultancy Rystad Energy and solar panel makers. Reuters could not independently verify that estimate.

That backlog could grow as Chinese capacity continues to expand, Rystad says: If all the plans Chinese firms have announced go ahead, China's industry will be able to make twice as many panels as are expected to be installed worldwide in 2024, said Marius Mordal Bakke, senior analyst at Rystad.

Dresden-based Solarwatt is carrying six to nine months of stocks, up from around six weeks, its chief executive Detlef Neuhaus told Reuters in March.

So there are significant built up stocks of solar panels and production seems to be increasing faster than consumption. I'm no economist but unless something changes would that not point to serious reductions in prices?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NailBiter said:

This article makes me think prices of panels have further to fall:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/losing-hope-rescue-some-european-solar-firms-head-us-2024-04-15/

This part jumps out:

So there are significant built up stocks of solar panels and production seems to be increasing faster than consumption. I'm no economist but unless something changes would that not point to serious reductions in prices?

It sounds like a ploy to put lots of non Chinese production plants out of business.  So this could be a relatively short over production, as capacity will reduce and the lower prices will increase demand.

Keep an eye on the market and catch the sweet spot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It sounds like a ploy to put lots of non Chinese production plants out of business.  So this could be a relatively short over production, as capacity will reduce and the lower prices will increase demand.

Keep an eye on the market and catch the sweet spot.

Not just non-Chinese plants.

Similar thing happened with DVD Players 20 years ago.

DVD player profits down to $1 | ZDNET

• Like 1