Thought on initial quote

Would be great if I could have some feedback on the costing. To me it seems a bit on higher side and I think at that price it should include windows/steel/underfloor heating/rads as well but keen to get your feedback.

Tender.pdf

wow yes, there are certainly some crazy figures in the quote but - as @BotusBuild has mentioned, we really do need more info before commenting with any authority.

What is the size of the house - how many bathrooms etc etc. Location. What is the scheduled build time too.

• Like 1

£9k for welfare facilities? Are they going to build you a mini-hotel and spa for them?

Edit: going through the long list: obviously we don't have all the info here, but £34k for 'floor construction'? My fixed price foundations and floor build up over a 180m2 area is coming in at just over £18k. It might be a 'I don't want to do this' quote, or a 'you obviously have money' quote. £72K for pitch roof? My entire timber frame build is coming in at £85k.

Edited by AppleDown
  • Like 1

Unfortunately your paying the price for turnkey As others have probably said a drawing would help A May be a massive house Floors and electrical jump out at me initially I’ve paid 4K for an electrician to first and second fix 350m2 and a two story workshop 

But you won’t have the hassle of making sure everything is ready and there for him 

I would change from T&G to 22 mil chipboard Hardly anyone uses T&G due to cost and labour 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BotusBuild said:

A brief outline of what you are asking them to do, and some pictures/plans, would help us to form an opinion 🙂 

please see the separate post. Its extension/remodel.

And the older post:

Edited by Zak S

1 hour ago, nod said:

for turnkey As others have probably said

Turn key - less ventilation and any part of the heating system from what I see.

Bonkers big house, bonkers big prices as you would expect.

Some odd ones are

"Construct internal stud wall with insulated plasterboard upto 1800mm maximum height" why insulated plasterboard on internal stud walls, and why only to 1800mm?

Posted (edited)

@JohnMo very keen to understand how we can make the plan less bonkers other than starting over.  What needs changing bearing in mind the existing foot print of the banglow?

Edited by Zak S

18 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Turn key - less ventilation and any part of the heating system from what I see.

Bonkers big house, bonkers big prices as you would expect.

Some odd ones are

"Construct internal stud wall with insulated plasterboard upto 1800mm maximum height" why insulated plasterboard on internal stud walls, and why only to 1800mm?

Barmy

9 minutes ago, Zak S said:

@JohnMo very keen to understand how we can make the plan less bonkers other than starting over.  What needs changing bearing in mind the existing foot print of the banglow?

TBF from all the other threads and posts, you had a lot of people telling you that it was a big job and the other option was demolition and rebuild. It's a very big house now, and builders will see how elaborate it is and quote accordingly.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AppleDown said:

TBF from all the other threads and posts, you had a lot of people telling you that it was a big job and the other option was demolition and rebuild. It's a very big house now, and builders will see how elaborate it is and quote accordingly.

Thanks. From the areas being extended its clear these are relatively small extensions to the existing large foot print but building up on a large foot print will create larger house so nit sure if follow the comments around "large" house.

If there is consensus that cost will be less based on breakdown for the new house then I can understand but a new roof is a new new roof. It's besides the point If it's a new roof on existing house or new house. Hence I am looking for some tangible amendments that can be made to the plans and advice as to how best to deal with builders to get an honest quote.

In the design I have sacrificed lots of space by creating double height ceilings in the reception/hall as well as bed room as space is more than enough. What else do you guys think needs to be done. I am open to rebuild , but the question is what need changing and how would that impact the coat? Any advice will be helpful.

Edited by Zak S

Having just flicked through your previous thread the one with the picture of your bungalow in it. 
that is definitely a plot in a nice street, if you put that up for sale somebody will grab that and flatten it. 

do you have room at the back to push a new house backwards in line with next door. 
show us a pic of the street view, the bungalow definitely looks like the poor brother to the house next door. 
knock down and rebuild looking at your design  could be anything upwards of 650,000- 800,000. 
what would it be worth. 

35 minutes ago, Zak S said:

Thanks. From the areas being extended its clear these are relatively small extensions to the existing large foot print but building up on a large foot print will create larger house so nit sure if follow the comments around "large" house.

If there is consensus that cost will be less based on breakdown for the new house then I can understand but a new roof is a new new roof. It's besides the point If it's a new roof on existing house or new house. Hence I am looking for some tangible amendments that can be made to the plans and advice as to how best to deal with builders to get an honest quote.

In the design I have sacrificed lots of space by creating double height ceilings in the reception/hall as well as bed room as space is more than enough. What else do you guys think needs to be done. I am open to rebuild , but the question is what need changing and how would that impact the coat? Any advice will be helpful.

I think you need to change the way you're looking at it. You're building a two-story house, on top of an existing house - which you're part-demoing, extending and strengthening as well. It's a lot more complicated than flattening and rebuilding. I seem to remember your previous posts about piling being the issue in not rebuilding - did you get any other quotes or investigations into that?

Posted (edited)

@Russell griffiths I bought the banglow gazumping a developers who later was willing to match or outbid my offer so demand is definitely there but i dont want to sell. I  bought this as forever home if such thing exist.

The street has gone through some very nice developments and the upper limit has been lifted significantly. Here are some pics. 

Plenty of space in the garden as plot size 0.4acre and walking distance to station with direct link to London 1:45 away.

If new builds is upto 800k then price from the turn key builder with some negotiation does not seem that bad but I personally think its too high

20240327133939691_2a078ff4ce69469780916d66998ab70e_J87505881.jpg

20240327133934610_ea9a9586459b4d0b9ccc7666ba47116b_J87505881.jpg

20240327133928540_280d13ea4d9c4598aa2df44c32410d20_J87505881.jpg

20240327133920985_18973c9cf37644b88fa76b9cd1ff3518_J87505881.jpg

20240327133905480_3c22b4496750455eb46cc31c93558460_J87505881.jpg

Edited by Zak S

7 minutes ago, AppleDown said:

I think you need to change the way you're looking at it. You're building a two-story house, on top of an existing house - which you're part-demoing, extending and strengthening as well. It's a lot more complicated than flattening and rebuilding. I seem to remember your previous posts about piling being the issue in not rebuilding - did you get any other quotes or investigations into that?

Yes I did look at piling. The quote was 60k with 30 piles and ring beams.

Vibro is cheaper option for rebuild. But the architect advised that with steel frame and extension the cost can be saved with extension and remodel.

1 minute ago, Zak S said:

Yes I did look at piling. The quote was 60k with 30 piles and ring beams.

Vibro is cheaper option for rebuild. But the architect advised that with steel frame and extension the cost can be saved with extension and remodel.

Was that just one quote - and with any soil investigation? Also as much as I appreciate my architect, his understanding of costs were wide of the mark. Luckily I was looking at that from the very first design meeting we had with him (and this forum brings up a lot of good points and info on what to look out for).

Posted (edited)

Yes soil investigations done with 3 pit holes all confirming soft clay upto 10/11m. Neighbours went for the same to 10m for their rebuild.

I am not totally relying on thr architects for the costing and have been speaking with builders as well. Newbuild will be in the region of 800k, there is no doubt.

Edited by Zak S

1 minute ago, Zak S said:

Between warwick and Birmingham

I had a snobbish girlfriend 40 years ago, she was from Tiddington, just outside Stratford on Avon.  She always referred to it as near Oxford.

She now lives in the same village as our old mate Jeremy Harris.

Bet she is causing trouble there.

• Haha 1

You have your answer. 
you beat a developer in buying it, what do you think he wanted it for. 
it looks like the cheap house on the block. 

you always aim to buy the cheapest house in the best street, then turn it into the best house on the street. 

The big problem is getting the finance. 

@Russell griffiths yes you are right but the developers friend told me (the guy with rebuilt house living opposite my house) that the guy interested in buying this was not planning to knock it down. But he might be telling me BS so I don't build up blocking his view 🙂

The person who lived in my banglow before (of no relevance) was head of British Gas Nuclear Operations. He passer away in 2021.

Also, been told either Ant or Dec mum also live nearby 😃

Coming back to the question for me which is, does the quote sensible or does it need to be cut down and I personal think there is lot of slack in it.