Passive house windows and doors

KevT

We are looking to build a very near to passive house in the next year or so and have begun to look at suppliers of aluminium clad windows and doors. The timber frame contractors we are consulting with work with companies such as Rationel/Velfac and Nordan. However, we have come across some very discouraging reviews of all 3 regarding durability, build quality and customer service /acquisition of spares and warranties.

Do any self-builders have first hand experience of these companies and their products or could suggest others to try as better alternatives.

With many thanks

I was very happy with Green Building Store windows and doors. 1st lot installed by GBS 10 years ago. Have not even thought of putting a paint-brush to them. 2nd lot there were a few logistical issues but I still like the windows! I have heard good things re Ecospheric, too.

We purchased Norrsken. Very pleased with the quality of the windows/doors themselves. Though I am slightly disappointed with the window handles, broken one within 2 wks of fitting them already. Admittedly only a tenner or so to replace but then maybe that says it all. We only found out they were cheapos afterwards. Would've liked to have been given the option to specifiy better quality. Despite this would I buy Norrsken again, yes definitely.

I would highly recommend you visit some showrooms, it really gives you a good sense of the difference in appearance, quality of the products.

We've got Velfac - have been very happy with the windows and doors but they've only been in 1 year. We chose them as they have the thinnest frames and also offered the bi-parting slide door (which suited our requirements perfectly). However, performance of the approved installer with regards to manufacturing and fitting the cills has been a different story.....

Edited by deancatherine09

Many thanks for the replies one and all. I've looked at Norrsken. They seem to have a good reputation. Can anyone tell me are they significantly more pricey than Velfac or Nordan? Many people have recommended Internorm for quality and durability, but I believe that they may well be out of our price range.

25 minutes ago, KevT said:

They seem to have a good reputation. Can anyone tell me are they significantly more pricey than Velfac or Nordan?

No they are roughly in line with those, when you include fitting and well below Internorm. We went with Norrsken - very happy we are.

We’ve got Internorm Alu/upvc, function of the windows and sliding doors was one reason compared to Velfac and Rationale  who couldn’t do what we needed/wanted.   Takes 5 mins to send your window schedule to suppliers and do a cost/performance/function analysis. 

We went for Uniwin - pretty pleased with them so far and price pretty good and they installed too. Front door however is from Inotherm. Very impressive build quality but a major hassle getting passive house data on it from UK supplier.

Thanks for all of the replies. Our window schedule is being sorted this week so will be sending for quotes from all of these companies.

Very happy with our Rationel 3G aluminium clad.  They were the cheapest quote of the quality window suppliers we approached so easy decision. But pricing does seem a lottery and others have reported them as expensive.

I looked at 2 houses with Nordan windows and I was not impressed with either.

Go to the NSBRC if you can and play around with the exhibits there, most (if not all) suppliers mentioned on this thread have displays there. We were 100% set on a set of sliders until we tried some of them at the NSBRC. Same with windows, lots of the 3g ones have very thick frames. 

ETA Nordan windows are awful - they have them in the Scotframe exhibition house in NSBRC. They are a significant cut below the other manufacturers IMO.

Edited by deancatherine09
  • Like 1

Consider good quality uPVC. 

My parents have some German sourced tilt and turn ones that have been in situ with 29 years and in that time have had 1 broken hinge and 1 failed double glazing unit and quite literally ZERO maintenance. 

edit: sorry now that I remember a second dg unit failed last year and has condensation in it. 

Edited by Iceverge