CGT can I claim for my own labour?

We purchased a plot with planning for 2 dwellings a few years ago, we built a house for ourselves and after my mother in law was widowed we decided to build a bungalow for her so my wife could look after her more easily. Mother in law has now changed her mind and is adamant that she wants to stay in her own house and we will sell the bungalow. This will make us liable for CGT on the sale, can I claim for my own labour against CGT, if I employed someone to carry out the work I have undertaken I would be able to deduct their bill from CGT, so I'm hoping I can deduct a reasonable wage for my own labour, has any one else been in this situation?

49 minutes ago, gunner said:

so I'm hoping I can deduct a reasonable wage for my own labour, has any one else been in this situation?

I'd say not. If you'd paid someone, then there would have been employment taxes/NI that would have been paid on that wage, which HMRC hasn't received.

You should take advice though, since you will have now developed for profit, HMRC may feel the gain should be treated as income rather than a Capital gain.

17 minutes ago, IanR said:

I'd say not. If you'd paid someone, then there would have been employment taxes/NI that would have been paid on that wage, which HMRC hasn't received.

You should take advice though, since you will have now developed for profit, HMRC may feel the gain should be treated as income rather than a Capital gain.

I agree with the first point, if you wanted to claim your own labour then you would have to report it as Income which would carry a higher rate of tax than CGT.

On the second point you are not intending to be in the business of property development, so I would expect it to be CGT and not income tax, although HMRC can always disagree.

How similar are the 2 dwellings?

Any mileage in living one one for a few years while you finish the second, then sell the first and move into the second?

Have you got children?

Get then to invoice you, then charge then board at lodging to an equal amount.

Immoral labour maybe, especially if you leave their inheritance to an old folks home (which seems, inadvertently, to be what my mother is doing), but you may save a few quid to spend on decent holidays.