Am I being ripped off?

I haven't kept up with prices since I retired, and I know cost have been increasing, but I was shocked to get a quote for over £30,000 for 1st and 2nd fix in a 200m2 house.

It's a new build in the West Midlands.  Timber frame with truss joists and service voids in the walls and ceilings.  Should be easy.

The quote is only itemised on a per room basis, so I can't see in detail how the cost is made up, but to take an easy example, the downstairs WC has 3 downlights and a shaver socket.  That is priced at £475.

The quote excludes all pendant and wall-mounted lights, and is based on the most basic switches, sockets and light fittings.

To make it worse, this is from a subcontractor so the main guy will add his 15% on top.

Am I just out of touch with what things cost, or is this guy playing me?

We’re nearly finished 2nd fix electrical 

310m2 

Plus a two story workshop 130 m2 

mans an outside boudry box 

So far I’ve paid him £3600 He’s a day to finish both the house and Workshop burglar alarms and a day to come back when the kitchen is in and I’ve allowed a day for testing 

He’s working on £200 per day clear 

I’ve no access to my spreadsheets for material via my phone But can get this if needed 

• Thanks 1

sounds a lot to me. but if that is the going price it makes the deal i made with my electrician to allow me to do the 2nd fix all the better when i think how much i've saved!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nod said:

We’re nearly finished 2nd fix electrical 

310m2 

Plus a two story workshop 130 m2 

mans an outside boudry box 

So far I’ve paid him £3600 He’s a day to finish both the house and Workshop burglar alarms and a day to come back when the kitchen is in and I’ve allowed a day for testing 

He’s working on £200 per day clear 

I’ve no access to my spreadsheets for material via my phone But can get this if needed 

A95C0F23-D5AF-4731-84C4-30DFEACC4BD3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

£150/m2 for electrics sounds way over the top especially on a new build.

taking your WC as an example, if it was a stand alone job then yes it sounds about right, but as part of a full project then absolutely not, an additional 2-3 hours and a bit for materials so 1/2 or less than the £475

Edited by markc
  • Thanks 1

The price you've been quoted for that downstairs WC is slightly more than double what I paid in London. Either the person quoting has misunderstood the brief, or they are ripping you off.

• Thanks 1

It’s possible you could be paying that much if your spec was very complicated and/or included extensive garden lighting/PV/battery storage/EV charging/outbuildings etc etc. 

However it appear that on the basis of your WC price you’re being had. 

Day rates round here in the SE at least are around £350+vat for an experienced electrician/1 man band type. Will be a little more in London and I’d guess a bit less in the Midlands. 

Wonder if you’re anywhere near Nick Bundy of YouTube fame? He’s one of the only YT sparks I can stand watching (being in the trade myself). He seems an honest guy and his prices are very sensible. Think he’s in Stafford 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2024 at 15:44, Mithrass said:

quote for over £30,000

Looking at it from a different angle.

Say £2,000 materials and £280 /day for sums convenience, and 2 sparks working. That would be 50 days, or 10 weeks. 

Half that seems about right, but add a bit if an expensive area or for a bigger company with overheads.