Which internal doors have to be fire doors? if any

10 hours ago, nod said:

The door between the house and your internal garage The rest are fine unless your over three floors 

This, though mine is three floors from the front and two floors from the back. I discussed with the BCO and architect about the fire strategy and the BCO was satisfied there was an acceptable escape route to the rear on the part with two stories. I made sure I got this in writing before ordering and installing the doors.

This means I didn't have to have fire doors to the central stairs. Only fire door I needed was to the integral garage.

The bco will likely ask for a FD30s which is a 30min fire door with smoke seals.

6 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

We wont have an internal garage and its a 2 storey house so on this basis i dont need any fire doors.

I am trying to budget for internal doors so this makes a difference. Need 14 in total.

Thanks guys

Good to hear, though while on the subject of fire make sure your upstairs windows have suitable fire escape sizes and heights of the bottom of the openable area

28 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

We wont have an internal garage and its a 2 storey house so on this basis i dont need any fire doors.

I am trying to budget for internal doors so this makes a difference. Need 14 in total.

Thanks guys

i've been told by quite a few friends to get FD30 doors anyway as they're much more solid. yes, they're double the price but you can get a deal if you shop around and i dislike the flimsy feeling non-FD30 doors. ymmv.

5 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

i've been told by quite a few friends to get FD30 doors anyway as they're much more solid. yes, they're double the price but you can get a deal if you shop around and i dislike the flimsy feeling non-FD30 doors. ymmv.

Buy solid core doors not hollow core. 

You can also go 44mm for a heavy feel. 

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Buy solid core doors not hollow core. 

You can also go 44mm for a heavy feel. 

what's the price difference between a solid core 35mm door and a 44mm FD30 door though? probably not a lot. we got a good deal on FD30 doors, they're bloody heavy and should be a good solid door.

we got these XL Joinery doors for £143+VAT from Jewson. the 35mm version were £83+VAT.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

what's the price difference between a solid core 35mm door and a 44mm FD30 door though? probably not a lot. we got a good deal on FD30 doors, they're bloody heavy and should be a good solid door.

we got these XL Joinery doors for £143+VAT from Jewson. the 35mm version were £83+VAT.

From those figures it’s £60 times 12-14 doors that’s a grand. 

My 35mm solid cores turned up today, I really don’t want them a lot heavier they where a pig to carry around the house. 

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

My 35mm solid cores turned up today, I really don’t want them a lot heavier they where a pig to carry around the house. 

yeah my 35mm solid cores feel heavy enough. Also the £60 uplift is there also due to the fire door certification

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

that's some interesting maths! 🤣 but i understand the sentiment.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I really don’t want them a lot heavier they where a pig to carry around the house.

that's the chippie's problem. 😉

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Willow said:

Hi Can I just jump on this convo , our house is 3 storeys the plans say fire doors for second and top floor but ground floor doesn't is this correct ? 

Just thinking in common sense 

basically if  your in the kitchen and a fire breaks out you will run out the back door, if your in the front room you will run out the front door. 
but if you are upstairs and your route to outside is blocked by fire you will want to hide behind a fire protected door until help arrives. 

look at it like this and walk around thinking how you will get out. 
Obviously check the regs, but that’s the general gist of it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

look at it like this and walk around thinking how you will get out

Your explanation should be line one of the fire section of the reg's. 

Maybe people who try to cheat the rules, and principles,  will understand this.

• Like 1

Normally, you will have a protected stairway all the way down to a final exit. That route is separated from rooms by minimum FD20 (realistically FD30 doors as they are easier to source) doors in 30 min. FR partitions. That would include the ground floor.

4 hours ago, Willow said:

Hi Can I just jump on this convo , our house is 3 storeys the plans say fire doors for second and top floor but ground floor doesn't is this correct ? 

No.

• Like 1