Justifying the cost of stupidly expensive toasters

Adsibob

We’ve been meaning to get a new toaster for ages. Have been coveting a Dualit Classic Newgen 4 slice toaster. I think it’s the most expensive toaster in the market, at £209 including “free” sandwich cages: https://www.dualit.com/products/4-slice-newgen?variant=45452773032247

Our requirements are that it can do 4 slices, can do bagels and other thick slices and ideally can switch the slots that aren’t being used off. It is this last feature which I think makes the Dualit Classic Newgen unique, in that you can choose how many of the four slots come on. With all four slots active, it is consuming 2200W, but we probably only have breakfast as a family twice a week, so the rest of the time there are savings to be made. But is it justified?

Delonghi make a much cheaper version which I can get for £80: https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/ctin4003.bk/delonghi-ctin4003.bk-argento-toaster

I’d say NO In saying that many of us have no room to talk As we spent 900 quid on a hot water tap and are about to do the same again A kettle would probably be cheaper than a basic toaster £209 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things 

Go for it 😁

• Like 1

For me the no toaster and hot water tap reduces the clutter ok the work surface. I justified both by removing a whole row of cabinets and worktop so we just have an island and tall cabinets. Therefore no space for either a kettle or a toaster. Actually saved us money. 😂 

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

We’ve been meaning to get a new toaster for ages. Have been coveting a Dualit Classic Newgen 4 slice toaster. I think it’s the most expensive toaster in the market, at £209 including “free” sandwich cages: https://www.dualit.com/products/4-slice-newgen?variant=45452773032247

Our requirements are that it can do 4 slices, can do bagels and other thick slices and ideally can switch the slots that aren’t being used off. It is this last feature which I think makes the Dualit Classic Newgen unique, in that you can choose how many of the four slots come on. With all four slots active, it is consuming 2200W, but we probably only have breakfast as a family twice a week, so the rest of the time there are savings to be made. But is it justified?

Delonghi make a much cheaper version which I can get for £80: https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/ctin4003.bk/delonghi-ctin4003.bk-argento-toaster

A Dualit one will last 25 years (ours did), and you can get spare parts (such as a set of reflector plates).

The other is digital, and will not.

It seems you can get it in a colour called Eucalyptus. They haven't fallen for Elephant's Breath, yet.

• Like 1

Interestingly, there is a significantly cheaper Dualit one on John Lewis (which still costs what a large appliance might set you back), that has very mixed reviews. Some reviews are practically orgasming over the evenness of their toast’s toasting, whereas others say it’s rubbish:

https://www.johnlewis.com/dualit-lite-4-slice-toaster-with-warming-rack/gloss-black/p231521950

10 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Ah, but the Dualit one is made in Britain. Vote Brexit.

Does that mean it can't do French toast.

11 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I just use the grill in the oven.

What I do.  At work I often toast over 100 slices a day, plus rolls, buns and muffins.

6 hours ago, Iceverge said:

£200 for a toaster is mental.

The last toaster I bought was from Argos, less than a fiver.  £10.40 now.

9 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

A Dualit one will last 25 years

£200 / 25 years = £8/year

My £5 pound one lasted over a year.

I think the original Dualit design is a classic - both old-fashioned but also very modern in its repairability. I have one 29 years old and I don’t expect to replace it anytime soon. I’ve replaced the elements twice and the timer once. And this design didn’t require any clever engineering - just that the thing is held together with screw fasteners and also that spare elements and mechanical timer switches are made available. Wouldn’t it be great if more products would last a lifetime and were very simple to repair? I would fill my house with products like that.

>>> £200 / 25 years = £8/year

>>> My £5 pound one lasted over a year.

i’m not a rabid enviromentalist - but just for engineering efficiency I would prefer not to send a dozen or so cheap toasters to landfill.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

not a rabid enviromentalist - but just for engineering efficiency

Delete rabid, never a good thing, and I'd say promoting engineering efficiency is being an environmentalist.

Back to the original post: is the energy saving justified by the cost? I still say no. However there are other ways to spend £200 and it's simply gone. Meals out, watching sport. If the toaster gives pleasure then that is justification.

Query: the Dualit toaster is not meant to be used under a kitchen wall cabinet. Is it okay to ignore this instruction? My cabinet is about 56cm above the worktop. So a 21cm high toaster would be c. 35cm below the cupboard‘s bottom. Safe or stupid?

I'm guessing yours is not a cheap kitchen. The foil covering type of unit may well suffer from that level of  heat. I think wood and  laminate will not.

Looking now at our toaster which is 250mm below a wall cupboard. No problems.

Microwave, air fryer ditto.

14 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Query: the Dualit toaster is not meant to be used under a kitchen wall cabinet. Is it okay to ignore this instruction? My cabinet is about 56cm above the worktop. So a 21cm high toaster would be c. 35cm below the cupboard‘s bottom. Safe or stupid?

Line the underside of the cabinet with a sheet of asbestos and it'll be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

something safe I could line the cupboard with

A sheet of stainless steel would be the tidiest and consistent with hoods etc. 

as it is completely invisible behind the pelmet, cement board even. or a sacrificial laminate. 

Or nothing at all.  The heat goes into the toast, or should. i suspect they are being cautious.

We have a pelmet too., just 200mm above the toaster and keeping the heat in. i think it is mdf with foil covering , and it is fine after 6/7 years