Hydrogen electrolyser plant. This sounds like a load of greenwash to me?

51 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Mygen: To date, the site has two of four turbines fully operational 

Turbines in areas of directional current. 

Wave power from 'nodding duck' and similar seems to hsve never quite worked. Maybe it was my fault, overflowing the flume down onto his desk.

They use them offshore in two variation, but most are use for making hypochlorite (strong bleach) - hydrogen is vented as a waste by product.

Never very reliable. Simple process but the controllers are almost an after thought and generally rubbish.

21 hours ago, ProDave said:

But the final thought, would it not just be simpler for the distilleries just to use electricity for their production?

They probably only want it for their own delivery trucks.

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Mygen: To date, the site has two of four turbines fully operational and generated its first 50 GWh of renewable power in February 2023. The project aims to have the additional turbines operating by 2027.

That is tidal, not wave, generation.  A totally different beast.

To give you an idea of how much power is in a wave, this is Penzance on a quiet day.

image.thumb.png.53ba62766300281ed095dcf21d4c016a.png

A 1 metre swell and for every meter of wave front, 2.5 kW is produced.

That is a lot of wallop.

• Like 1

It does not seem to be best use of hydrogen in a fixed location such as a distillery. Electrification would in my mind be a better solution, and not reliant on a single source of supply of hydrogen.

In my day job I have come across a few recent examples of cascaded ASHP and WSHP in order to achieve suitable grade heat for hospitals including for their DHWS which is required at least at 60 C for protection against legionella in areas for vulnerable patients. This must be somewhere near the grade of heat required for distillation.

49 minutes ago, SimC said:

does not seem to be best use of hydrogen in a fixed location such as a distillery.

I think the distilleries agree, and most use entirely electric energy. 

Mme Pernod owns lots of them and says how proud she is etc. Heat recovery saves half the power apparently. 

So I'm guessing hydrogen powered tankers will be the thing.