Coral TPU

Pocster

Yes definitely worth it if you're planning running Frigate, saves masses of watts to offload image detection from the main CPU 

Thankfully USB version available again now. I got mine during the post pandemic chip shortages , and the PCIe format limits how and where I can run it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, joth said:

Yes definitely worth it if you're planning running Frigate, saves masses of watts to offload image detection from the main CPU 

Thankfully USB version available again now. I got mine during the post pandemic chip shortages , and the PCIe format limits how and where I can run it.

Someone mentioned this on here ages ago. I looked into it at the time and you couldn't get them anywhere.

2 hours ago, joth said:

Yep planning on frigate 

presume I can dedicate an x86 NUC to home assistant and run this as an add on 

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

What do you use it for?

Object recognition. So instead of masking in your nvr and having false triggers ( cat , windy day etc ) you can actually recognise a ‘person’ for example with a certain degree of accuracy. Google coral tpu video or something . You’ll see tests . 0.8Tflops of processing can be given to a meagre raspberry pi for example .

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

Yep planning on frigate 

presume I can dedicate an x86 NUC to home assistant and run this as an add on 

This is what I do. (actually old Chromebox but same difference)

I run HASS in a VM under proxmox which makes backups and migration to new hardware sooooo much easier.

Some folks reckon proxmox kills the TPU connection performance but others say that's BS. I haven't yet moved the TPU to the NUC (see above comment about PCIe, so it's still in a massive power hungry desktop PC) but it is my plan to eventually do that, and then raid array too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joth said:

This is what I do. (actually old Chromebox but same difference)

I run HASS in a VM under proxmox which makes backups and migration to new hardware sooooo much easier.

Some folks reckon proxmox kills the TPU connection performance but others say that's BS. I haven't yet moved the TPU to the NUC (see above comment about PCIe, so it's still in a massive power hungry desktop PC) but it is my plan to eventually do that, and then raid array too.

I just bought an i5 NUC to run ha oss straight on it ( i5 will be overkill of course - but I like headroom for expansion ) - 16gb should be enough 😊. Frigate ( migrating from blu iris because it’s windows ! ) . Just got to find a usb ; flash Ubuntu- then see .

Better do some work first on kitchen so SWMBO sees “ progress “

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Frigate NVR sound like something that is published on OnlyFans.

You hook up an ip cam through frigate on onlyfans you’ll make a fortune . People will pay to watch the Cornish cream their scones .

• 1 month later...
On 13/12/2023 at 10:34, SteamyTea said:

What do you use it for?

I've got 3 ReoLink Security Cameras at home.  The setup is pretty dumb.  They each do simple motion detection and record on a local SD card when the detection fires.  The videos are then FTPed to a backup service just in case some thief smashes the camera and takes the evidence.  I run a crontab script that purges old data recordings to keep the max FTP share size to a limit (only about 4 days).  The biggest triggers are (i) moths and spiders' webs at night (they love the IR), (ii) birds (iii) plants etc. blowing in the breeze.  I've never got clever and the thresholds are so low that I will probably miss recording any genuine intruders.  🤣

My son-in-law sets a far looser detection threshold on his cameras and so captures more, but he uses one of these to classify each recording and discard any that doesn't have a person or a moving vehicle in them.  The system also picks a good frame to use as a viewing thumbnail of the junk, and he has a nice interface integrated into HA where he can quickly browse these and trash the boring ones.  

I am still not sure of whether doing the smart postprocessing is worth the hassle.  I might get around to doing something like this as a project some day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TerryE said:

I am still not sure of whether doing the smart postprocessing is worth the hassle.  I might get around to doing something like this as a project some day.

I’m still experimenting with person detection on tpu . It’s been pretty good - no birds , spiders , weather false triggers .

I few false triggers ( SWMBO put some drying clothes over a step ladder - was flagged more of a person than me ! ) . I use it internally which means triggering lights can cause a noticeable delay ( upto a second ) . A strategically placed motion sensor ( to get the light on instantly) and then person detection to keep it on seems to be working perfectly !

I run my Home Assistant and the FTP service on an old laptop that I run closed as a server (free battery backup from the laptop battery) using Proxmox as the VM and LXC container host.  I could stick a Coral dongle off this.

12 minutes ago, TerryE said:

I run my Home Assistant and the FTP service on an old laptop that I run closed as a server (free battery backup from the laptop battery) using Proxmox as the VM and LXC container host.  I could stick a Coral dongle off this.

You know you want to . 😊