Electric Gates

canalsiderenovation

Gates Gates came back to me thanks @nod

I sent some videos and pictures to them with a link to the gates we have purchased (never use Charles and Ivy 10 - week 9 and delivery has been a farce so far resulting in me opening a credit card dispute for lack of goods which finally got their attention)!

Gates Gates recommended this https://www.gatesgates.co.uk/modus-xllt-double-gate-kit-c2x13642999

Meanwhile Easy Gates recommended this which is far more expensive with features I don't think we will need (smartphone operation given we have no phone signal or WiFi outside the house near the gates).

https://www.easygates.co.uk/product/liftmaster-aa250evk-double-swing-gate-opener-kit-myq-compatible/

There is quite a big price difference but I can't really see that if the more expensive one is necessary.  Both Easy Gates and Gates Gates have been great at answering questions. Anyone got any thoughts on the different kits?

Ta

It's a no brainer surely? Gate Gates, you could by two for the price of one from Easy Gates. 

Saying that the Lift Master stuff from Easy Gates has been super reliable. My BiL got their kit first (sliding), then me (sliding), then a neighbour (swing), then my mate (sliding). Ongoing support, extra fobs etc never an issue.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

At my last house, I got my kit from the Electric Gate Shop and installed it myself. I was happy with the tech support. I had imy installation checked for electrical safety by a proper electrician. 

• mains voltage motors
  • photocells on the posts
  • inductive loop in the driveway preventing the gates from swinging open onto a parked car
  • The motors sense if they’re closing on an obstruction, e.g. trapped body part, and you can adjust the force they close with
  • telephone cable back to the house with a button inside the front door so we can open the gates from the house and also lock them open (switch wired in series with photocells). Handy when you have guests
  • As well as the usual remotes, a GSM module which opens the gates when it receives calls from pre-programmed phone numbers. Very handy as you can call it from your car as you approach the house so the gates are open as you arrive. Also handy for allowing access for friends, relations etc.
  • no stops for the leaves when they’re open, but a clever stop which grabs them when they’re closed
  • an electric lock (similar to remote door access in apartments) which is activated automatically by the controller and locks the gates together when they’re closed. This is to stop anyone from forcing the gates open. 

Works a treat and very reliable. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

It's a no brainer surely? Gate Gates, you could by two for the price of one from Easy Gates. 

Exactly - just not sure if I'm missing something but Gates Gates have been great at communicating so far and answered all my stupid questions!

So we were about to order with Gate Gate and then they suggested lots of extras...

I'm clarifying why we need an additional additional set of safety beams and posts when thr kit comes with safety beams. Perhaps they are being over cautious.

We want additional transmitters which is fine (they do a pack of 3 for £60 which seems.decent given my tendency for losing things or keys going in the wash).

Not sure we need a magnetic lock either. I know these are useful to stop people forcing the gates but we have a pedestrian gate too.

So I don't think the extras are needed. I presume the magnetic lock, relay and power supply is for the extras.....

Screenshot_20240502_142621_Outlook.thumb.jpg.a5cd114436da9d3cab0c03c6dcd5db07.jpg

I've been looking at electric gates recently. One thing to look at is cycle time, especially if there isn't space to pull completely off the road while you wait for the gates to open.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just make sure you can text / dial the gate and it will be wide open before you arrive.

I don't want to be having to use my phone in a moving car every time I arrive home. More interesting for me would be some sort of geofencing function that caused it to open as I got near.

Worse, my driveway entrance is right at a sharp curve in the road and we can have traffic from both directions suddenly appear as we turn in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack said:

I've been looking at electric gates recently. One thing to look at is cycle time, especially if there isn't space to pull completely off the road while you wait for the gates to open.

I presume some other Local Authorities may be the same, but mine states the following - "Installed gates must be set back a minimum distance of 5.0 metres from the back of the highway and gates must open inwards only. The set back distance of 5.0 metres also applies to sliding gates".

19 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

I presume some other Local Authorities may be the same, but mine states the following - "Installed gates must be set back a minimum distance of 5.0 metres from the back of the highway and gates must open inwards only. The set back distance of 5.0 metres also applies to sliding gates".

Hmm, interesting! There are a lot of people in my area who are not following this rule! 😅

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jack said:

Hmm, interesting! There are a lot of people in my area who are not following this rule! 😅

I guess it depends whether it is the "highway" or an "access road"  that they front...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jack said:

I don't want to be having to use my phone in a moving car every time I arrive home. More interesting for me would be some sort of geofencing function that caused it to open as I got near.

Worse, my driveway entrance is right at a sharp curve in the road and we can have traffic from both directions suddenly appear as we turn in.

"Hey Siri, dial gate", and the magic happens.

You old fart lol.

• Haha 1

I removed a dash blank and got my lad to copy and 3D print it to take a push button. then you take a fob apart and solder the push button to it with a couple of wires, 

IMG_20220902_184033671

• Like 1

On 03/05/2024 at 10:53, jack said:

Not an issue we live down a private lane only going to farm fields and one other house. Easy to pull over.

On 03/05/2024 at 17:03, joe90 said:

One of my gate fobs stuck to the dashboard of my car, easy……

IMG_0411.jpeg

That's my technical level! Texting or ringing the gate - I'd have to be about half a mile away for a signal or somewhere down on the towpath, I'd rather just open it when I'm literally at the gate! 

We plan to get an additional 3 fobs so will have 5 in total. I just needed to understand exactly what we did and didn't need from their suggestion but I think I'll just order the main kit without the extras.....

• Like 1

On 03/05/2024 at 22:33, Onoff said:

I removed

On my steering wheel I have 17 knobs, and one behind it.

It looks just like yours.

Just leave the (expletive deleted)ing gate open like the postman does.

You got more knobs and slots on your radio.

image.png.d038f7900b3d02c65755dfa0de3bb525.png

6 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

On my steering wheel I have 17 knobs, and one behind it.

It looks just like yours.

Just leave the (expletive deleted)ing gate open like the postman does.

You got more knobs and slots on your radio.

image.png.d038f7900b3d02c65755dfa0de3bb525.png

My 2004 C2 is going to car heaven this year as it won't pass another MoT and my dad has welded it that many times its beyond help now. I have a nice cheap 2015 Fiat 500 Sport waiting for the builder to finish the drive before it comes home. I'm quite excited about getting aircon and electric windows!

• Like 1