Electric Gates

canalsiderenovation

Forward planning to electric gate ideas. The builder will be doing the drive and brick wall/brick gate posts after Xmas. We are thinking either powder coated aluminium or something like this https://www.charlesandivy.co.uk/products/hudson-dark-grey-curved-top-driveway-gate

Then we would need to get it automated (opening inwards not sliding). The power won't be buried underground. What sort of automation kit would people suggest please? The width pilar to pilar would be the max of 13ft and just under 2m high. We currently have 18ft non automated old farm type gates but obviously getting something this length and automated is not really viable and I suspect ridiculously expensive.

• 4 months later...

Me again . . . Almost 8 weeks and our gates are coming on Saturday after I had to raise a credit card dispute with Charles and Ivy for not providing the goods with Charles and Ivy to get our gates. After two weeks of non communication when I sent screen shots of the dispute and surprisingly less than an hour later I got a phone call to arrange delivery!

I contacted this company @joe90 mentioned for a quote for automation and they haven't come back yet. Thr other option is to buy a kit online and get the builder to quote for fitting.

I'm confused as to what we need. This company recommended the kit below but then other things (in blue) like photocells, door loops and safety edges and I'm not sure whether we need them or not!

https://www.theelectricgateshop.co.uk/Roger-Technology-BE20-210-24v-BRUSHLESS-Electric-Gate-Kit-Double

Screenshot_20240424_193431_Outlook.thumb.jpg.7c23ed0caea7117eb0ceda491f481947.jpgScreenshot_20240424_193439_Outlook.thumb.jpg.c84a0d44adec72ce2426075a9ab7f277.jpg

Another company recommended the 4ti which comes with blinker lights and photocells and the blurb also says we need gate stops too although we are on slight a slope into the drive so I'm not sure how effective they will be (not sure the stops are high enough). Do we need gate stops?

I'm completely confused if we need all the extra stuff and if we need everything in these kits. Can anyone advise?

Our total gate opening is 3900 and doors will open inwards. We have brick posts and the electric is all there ready for the gates. We are not having any intercom, video etc due to shocking Internet even on ethernet, wifi etc

Photo cells on the outside are a good idea to prevent gates closing before you get out of the way. A gate stop in the centre gives the gates something positive to close against and reduces rattling and wind movement.

sensing loops are not needed at home, they are to auto open gates when you approach from the inside. Crush sensors are used in public areas but I’ve never had them on my gates.

a beacon is an easy fit even afterwards and I always use because it gives a positive signal gate is or should be moving … easier to see as you leave and especially at night.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, markc said:

Photo cells on the outside are a good idea to prevent gates closing before you get out of the way

Thanks, silly question but do the gates automatically close? I thought you'd have to press the fob to open them and again to close them rather than the gates just determining when they should close?

21 minutes ago, markc said:

A gate stop in the centre gives the gates something positive to close against and reduces rattling and wind movement.

So it sounds like we need one in the centre then. Are the two gate stop posts necessary then?

22 minutes ago, markc said:

a beacon is an easy fit even afterwards and I always use because it gives a positive signal gate is or should be moving … easier to see as you leave and especially at night.

We have just had outdoor lights fitted on the brick gate posts and nearby garage so lighting isn't an issue to be honest.

You can set gates to auto close after a time, but even with ones you close with a remote etc. the photo cells are a good idea as it is easy to click close and then someone tries to get in before they close or you click to close and then something prevents you clearing the gate area, most closers sense an obstruction but the edge of a gate will make a mess of a car door before it opens again.

gate stop posts are often placed just inside the posts but then they are easily hit as you turn in with a car etc. I much prefer a low centre stop (hinged so you can flip it down if very low ar needs to go out or in).

• Like 1

Yes to all above, I have photo cells to stop the gates hitting anything in their way when they close, I have a fob with a button to open and a button to close. Gate stops give the gates somewhere positive to close too (but don’t make them too high or you might catch a low exhaust). I don’t have a beacon (OTT in my opinion for a house) but I have wired in LEDs on both gateposts that come on in the dark as I have no street lighting and want the posts visible in the dark.

i have also wired in a secret button so if family turn up when I am not here with a fob they can let themselves in. I keep one fob stuck to the dashboard and one in the house.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

do the gates automatically close

you can have anything you want really.

NB with sliding gates there have to be pressure stops in case a child sticks an arm through and gets crushed. I've tried to avoid this cost on the basis of them being non-automatic, ie supervised. but it seems that can't even be by fob, so needs a button at the gate to be pushed 

It doesn't apply to swinging gates.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, saveasteading said:

It doesn't apply to swinging gates.

"Pressure stops" as in rubber safety edges. The legislation applies to swing gates too.

I think one of the unfortunate accidents was where a child leant through a closed swing gate to reach the button the other side.

The attached sets it all out.

documents8a.pdf

• Like 1

On 25/04/2024 at 15:49, Mr Punter said:

I would recommend FAAC for the automation kit.

Most of the kit knows when there is an obstruction and will stop.

I wouldn't get a builder to fit it unless they have done them before.

Will you have a keypad and intercom as well?

Thanks

The builder has done it before but we have also reached out to a firm that apparently can supply and fit (automation) but they haven't come back yet.

No keypad or intercom purely because any wifi communication is non existent (the tests with various boosters and extenders failed miserably), our broadband is so weak, we have no mobile signal and even wireless technology is a a bit hit and miss although we have found placing numerous tek wireless doorbells around the house and one in the  garage near the gate seems to just about work and anyone who presses the doorbell on the gate posts results in it ringing with slight delays in the house and all at different points! The foil insulation in the house and the fact it's a large bungalow means we struggle to get consistent signal on wireless too as depending on which room we are in means there are so many walls for signals to pass through!

Some our quotes where ridiculous 

With quite a few gate companies not wanting to get involved 

I couldn’t believe how simple the motors are to install Everything colour coded and numbered  a digital fault display helps you out also 

8 hours ago, bassanclan said:

In a similar situation looking at quotes etc.

Parts looking like £1250-1500 of fully installed £5000.

My cheapest quote so far is from GatesGates as recommended by @nod on another thread

Crikey that's more expensive (£5000) than the actual driveway gates and pedestrian gate.... was that for just getting the parts for automation and fitting them?

The electrics is all there it's just getting the kit and getting them fitted.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Nope prison service 🤣 have done HR qualifications though so I know the lingo 😏 

Hearing it makes me want to commit offences that would put me in prison...

• Haha 1