Wetroom with shower OVER the bath - how

DeanAlan

We have a small bathroom (3m by 2m) and want a bath and shower.

We have a lovely contemporary curved bath in mind and dislike shower curtains or glass (to bath) screens and a screen wouldn't work with a curved bath anyway.

There are loads of designs out there for bath and a shower sitting in a wet area where the shower and its drain are next to the bath.

However, why not use the bath as the shower train and have any overspill of water land outside the bath but onto the wet area below the bath and then have a potential glass divide to help stop water splash into the basin.

This makes the most of the space *but* it required the wet area that is all under the bath (and some margin either side) to have its drainage angle and then the bath (not on feet for this particular model) to have some form of 'anti-angle' platform to sit on to keep it flat and for its own drainage to run through that into the centre of the bath.

Am I mad!

I've spoken to a couple of installers and they scratch their head a little. I've thought through how it could be built from first principles (ultimately just angles and waterproofing materials in the right place) but wondering if there are products, experience, pictures, designs out there?

cheers,

- Dean

4 hours ago, DeanAlan said:

That is the technical challenge @Russell griffiths:

- have a slope under the bath towards linear drain (wet room area, tanked etc)

- have a bath sitting within it that itself is levelled and it has its own drainage connection

Grout - nah, microcement/continuous surface.

What’s the challenge 

looks like you have it sussed. 

I would ditch the silly bath and use a double end rectangular bath with the taps at the side and the shower at the end. 

Build the bath into a fully tanked box, will take up less room in a small space, you will need floor towels as the spray from the shower in a 3m room will reach every part of the room. 

Last house had 3 wetrooms so I have a reasonable grasp on how far the splash will go. 

Lots of negative opinions about wet rooms I see.

Not after a wet room specifically, just don't have room for separate bath and shower and also don't like shower curtains or shower screens that connect to the bath. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place of my own choosing. Here is a render of the potential design, you can't see the glass screen that clearly but it is between bath and basin, floor to ceiling and maybe 1/3rd of the width of the bath

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 12.38.24.png

Edited by DeanAlan

1 hour ago, DeanAlan said:

Lots of negative opinions about wet rooms I see.

Not after a wet room specifically, just don't have room for separate bath and shower and also don't like shower curtains or shower screens that connect to the bath. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place of my own choosing. Here is a render of the potential design, you can't see the glass screen that clearly but it is between bath and basin, floor to ceiling and maybe 1/3rd of the width of the bath

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 12.38.24.png

A pocket door would give you more options to play with the space.

How about...bath through 90 deg. Shower top left. Pocket door then towel rail nearer the door?

Don't really want the towel rail near the pan.....you might burn your knee. Then there's splashback etc 😬

Ignore the towel rail, that has already moved to the r.h.s wall by the WC.

If we rotate the bath (we looked at that option) and put in a shower cubicle of some form then it just gets a bit cramped for my liking.

The comment about cleaning behind the bath is very valid.

So, I think we're going to have to see if we can find a new contemporary bath bath combo with a glass screen to side/top lip of bath and for the bath the flat to the wall and edge.

We had our eye set on a much nicer (subjective of course) organic curved bath from lusso stone but not going to work.

Thanks all.