Oven cable

Pocster

3 minutes ago, Pocster said:

The 10mm is mega chunky - assume I use this for ovens and hob ?

2.5mm for standard sockets ?

Depends on the distances and load but yes the 10mm would be for an electric hob or combined oven and hob.

Many Electric ovens (without rings/hobs) only need 2.5mm^2 and quite a few are supplied with a plug to suit standard socket..

2.5mm is for sockets (ring mains effectively have two 2.5mm^2 in parallel as power flows both ways around the ring).

The 1.0mm^2 is for lighting but some people prefer 1.5mm^2 as I think it can be covered with insulation without derating? However with LED lighting I don't think that's the issue it once was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

Depends on the distances and load but yes the 10mm would be for an electric hob or combined oven and hob.

Many Electric ovens (without rings/hobs) only need 2.5mm^2 and quite a few are supplied with a plug to suit standard socket..

2.5mm is for sockets (ring mains effectively have two 2.5mm^2 in parallel as power flows both ways around the ring).

The 1.0mm^2 is for lighting but some people prefer 1.5mm^2 as I think it can be covered with insulation without derating? However with LED lighting I don't think that's the issue it once was.

Yeah - I’ve seen ovens run off a standard plug . I’ll stick chunky 10mm in as a ring . Distance from oven / hob to consumer unit is under 10metres .

I’ll daisy chain from oven to other oven to hob then back to CU .

No insulation over my lighting wiring so I’ll leave as 1mm

I think two single runs in 10mm one to the hob and one to the oven area would be normal. The 10mm^2 would be terminated at the oven/hob end with a accessible Cooker(hob) switch and a Cooker Connection Unit (faceplate/junction box thing).

Run a 2.5mm ring to sockets as well so you can choose later if you want to hard wire the oven to the 10mm^2 or just plug it into a socket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Do come and post pictures when you have done that.  I will be surprised of you find a 13A socket that will actually fit two 10mm cables.

That’s the thing I thought . It’s well chunky ! . I’ll put the cables in position for oven / hob but not clipped . Sparky can then pull them out and replace if it upsets him . He left me 10mm ( actually got 2 rolls of it ) .

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Do come and post pictures when you have done that.  I will be surprised of you find a 13A socket that will actually fit two 10mm cables.

Our cooker: 10mm feed intended - until reality struck. Now there's 10mm to a hewooooge socket and a 13 Amp plug to a Bosch (natch) induction fingy....

10mm - I could hardly cut it with an angle grinder ......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Our cooker: 10mm feed intended - until reality struck. Now there's 10mm to a hewooooge socket and a 13 Amp plug to a Bosch (natch) induction fingy....

10mm - I could hardly cut it with an angle grinder ......

I struggled with wire snips to cut the 10mm . Better to over spec I guess ( as I have the cable ) and let sparky sort .

30 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

10mm to the induction hob (11kW iirc) for us and 2.5mm feed for each oven (yes 4 cables!). Each will have an isolation switch in a kitchen unit. 

I’ve resisted but I can’t any longer … why 4 ovens ? - forget SWMBO bs ! . What would you be cooking that requires 4 ovens ? . Indulge me ! 😊

4 hours ago, Pocster said:

I’ll stick chunky 10mm in as a ring .

This I have to see! 😂

Generally 10mm2 should just come as a radial from your cooker / hob breaker and terminate in a 45A cooker switch. From there,  again in 10mm2 to a cooker connection plate. You can get "double enders" so you can feed the hob and oven. Please go into the wholesaler and ask for such:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA45DCOP.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This I have to see! 😂

Generally 10mm2 should just come as a radial from your cooker / hob breaker and terminate in a 45A cooker switch. From there,  again in 10mm2 to a cooker connection plate. You can get "double enders" so you can feed the hob and oven. Please go into the wholesaler and ask for such:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA45DCOP.html

All for a double Ender 😉

8 hours ago, Pocster said:

or - should each have a seperate ( 6mm ? ) run from oven switch ? I.e radial from that ?

-10mm to the cooker switch.

-10mm to the double cooker connection plate.

-2 seperate runs from there one to each appliance. 6mm I imagine will be fine to each but check the loads. Also that it will fit in the appliance. Sometimes a butyl flex is better. 

12 hours ago, Pocster said:

I’ve resisted but I can’t any longer … why 4 ovens ? - forget SWMBO bs ! . What would you be cooking that requires 4 ovens ? . Indulge me ! 😊

Hmmm, easy.... the discussion goes like this....

Muggins    " How many ovens do you need love?"

SWMBO      "4"

Muggins      "Wha? 4 ... why ?

SWMBO       "How many  cross-cut saws have you got ... and I think I saw about 6 or 7 drills - some of them huge in that massive cupboard of yours, then there's the table saw - and the 'spare' in the other container . And  (warming to her annoyance) how much did that lot cost eh? Tell me that ?

LONG  PAUSE .................................................

Muggins    "Well ducks, ya should have told me that a year ago when I asked you to approve the kitchen plan. ... not enough space now  "

I have learned the hard - very hard - way that when I play an ace, I should never - ever - ever - grin.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Some People don’t realise that low voltage often needs bigger cables !!!   (Less volts = more Amps)

I do have a confession here . I haven’t actually used any of the 1mm for anything . It’s solid core and makes it difficult with the light fittings .

14 hours ago, Pocster said:

2 x ovens for cooking meals in. also one child has an allergy so for some foods we need to cook separately. 1 x microwave. then 3 ovens wouldn't look right so to even it out we got a steam oven as well. makes everything look aligned and appeals to our compulsive natures.

• Like 1