Critique my kitchen design

jayc89

Probably our "final" design to include an island. So far I think this is preferred, mainly because;

1) Anyone at the hob can be involved in conversations

2) Everything's easily accessible when cooking (i.e. fridge/microwave/larder just behind the hob)

I'll take a stab at trying to get those requirements into a peninsula design too. 

diy-kitchens-Kitchen_v2-2023-11-16 09_01.png

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 09.03.18.png

• Like 1

Functionally, I think the island edges it; everything's in close proximity to the cook, which is great. In terms if usability I think it has to be the peninsula; it's certainly not terrible, but does move the hob further away from everything else (and reduces the larder size)

Good either way for me.

From a usability perspective it might be slightly better if the dishwashers were next to the sink and the bin was closer to the cooking area.

You could go top to bottom - bin, dishwasher, sink, dishwasher. You seem to be constrained by the 900mm sink unit which is unusually wide. Depends how much you feel you need the two full size double sinks. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AliG said:

Good either way for me.

From a usability perspective it might be slightly better if the dishwashers were next to the sink and the bin was closer to the cooking area.

You could go top to bottom - bin, dishwasher, sink, dishwasher. You seem to be constrained by the 900mm sink unit which is unusually wide. Depends how much you feel you need the two full size double sinks. 

That's a good shout, I did play around with removing that 400 unit and having 1x 150mm towel rail, 1x 150mm pull out (for dish sponges etc) and 1x 150mm wine rack across that wall too. Wouldn't be able to do that and include the secondary DW though. 

12 minutes ago, AliG said:

If you are playing around with it you might also try and centre the sink on the window, but you’d probably need a smaller sink.

I am a bit OCC about symmetry so maybe it’s just me.

Already on it ;)

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 12.37.38.png

• Like 1

I plan on putting an induction hob on my peninsula, they cool down quickly so great for kids and when I pan is finished with it can safely just go back on the hob. I plan to have seating like you at the peninsula but with the worktop slightly higher than the hob. That way if using sauces or condiments you have a surface to push back against and don’t risk pushing them right over the edge. Also another electric socket for my in the small uprise. 
how are you extracting from hob area ie downdraft or from ceiling?
I wonder if you need all the wall cupboards around the window. Sometimes handy to have worktop with nothing above e.g opening air fryers. 

I'm not a fan of the two-sided overhang on your island design, can you do that with stone worktops without support? I'd be worried about someone putting too much weight on the corner and it snapping. Might be worth checking with a worktop supplier?

I think your island design could work if you made it narrower by getting rid of the cupboards on one side. You've not got enough walkway around it in my opinion, 70cm is definitely not enough. 1.2m is ideal and I wouldn't go lower than 1m. I do like the close proximity cooking triangle you get with the island.

If you go with your peninsular design then consider waterfalling the worktop down the end onto the floor. Looks really effective in my opinion! Here's ours:

PXL_20220514_213435895.jpg

Thought I'd have a stab at flipping the island around so that;
- Cook can see out of folding doors across the garden

- People won't be brushing past anyone sitting on stools at the island (unless they want to get into the drawers behind which will be for cutlery pots/pans etc)

It keeps the triangle nice and tight and I think it works pretty well.

Thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 16.59.59.png

diy-kitchens-Kitchen_-_island_(flipped)-2023-11-17 16_59.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oliwoodings said:

Island size is much better! 

What do you anticipate using all the other worktop for?

What's your plan for extraction?

Worktop not much, it was mainly to get the storage in we need; dish washer, pots/pans drawer, cutlery/crockery etc. 

Ventilation - the hob I've picked is self-venting, they're quite expensive though, so I might look into @crispy_wafer's idea of a dropped ceiling over the island and have a recirc extractor in that. 

1 hour ago, jayc89 said:

Worktop not much, it was mainly to get the storage in we need; dish washer, pots/pans drawer, cutlery/crockery etc. 

Ventilation - the hob I've picked is self-venting, they're quite expensive though, so I might look into @crispy_wafer's idea of a dropped ceiling over the island and have a recirc extractor in that. 

What way do your ceiling joists run? No way to duct outside? I can't stand recirculating ones personally, unless you have no choice. And the downdraft ones sound like a pain to keep clean.

2 minutes ago, oliwoodings said:

What way do your ceiling joists run? No way to duct outside? I can't stand recirculating ones personally, unless you have no choice. And the downdraft ones sound like a pain to keep clean.

From wall B to D, and they'll be posi-joists. Trying to avoid making too many penetrations in the external walls, the only one we currently have planned is a soil pipe.  

11 hours ago, jayc89 said:

From wall B to D, and they'll be posi-joists. Trying to avoid making too many penetrations in the external walls, the only one we currently have planned is a soil pipe.  

Ah I'm guessing you're installing mvhr? In which case recirculating with a charcoal filter is your best bet. I like the idea of a bulkhead over the island with the extractor in, my mate just had one done. He had them to a shadow gap around the top which he then put LED strips in.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Code for viewing area

Did think about a pole in there for a dancer . A tenant once asked if she could put a pole up in her room so she could practice. As a nice LL I said yes - got a free view of her show … ☺️😇

On 18/11/2023 at 11:10, Pocster said:

Did think about a pole in there for a dancer . A tenant once asked if she could put a pole up in her room so she could practice. As a nice LL I said yes - got a free view of her show … ☺️😇

You are the type of LL to fit secret cameras in the bedrooms of your properties aren’t you?