Critique my kitchen design

jayc89

One of the better kitchen layouts I have seen on here.

I think losing the tall corner cupboards is correct. Because of the very short window I think you need to keep the cupboards above the sink otherwise it just looks wrong that the window isn't taller.

You could put a tambour unit in the left hand corner for toaster etc. That would fill the odd space at the end of the run.

The only big issue I see is that you really are a bit short of space on the right hadn't side of the island. It looks like only 70cm, the cupboard doors will swing 60cm into the space. People will get stuck, then all you need is for people to not push chairs in at the island and you will have a right old log jam over there. It will be very difficult to get past someone sitting at the island as their stool will stick out 30-40cm.

I think the mirror image design helps this as it removes a couple of units behind the island.

The mirror image also helps as you will be looking at the door from the hob and not have your back to people coming in.

The tall units also look more impressive as people enter the kitchen.

It also has less cupboard and worktop which will save a couple of grand.

I would seriously consider losing the cupboard under the island in front of the stools and making it 90cm wide. The cupboards will be almost impossible to get to with stool in front and under a large overhang. You are currently perilously close to the island being too large for the kitchen. If you make the spaces around it too narrow, it will make the room feel cramped.

I also say this all the time on kitchen designs. Open up the space nearest to the door. In the original design, if someone comes in to the kitchen they could be presented with an open fridge, someone using the hob and a bunch of kitchen units right in front of them, I assume the door cannot move to the right so you are stuck with this, it is more a general design recommendation. Moving the hob and fridge around to the other side helps with this as would narrowing the island. The busy area of the kitchen should be away from the door.

Basically this without the odd corner unit and I could take or leave the wine rack. A larder cupboard might be better there so you don't have to go round the island to get ingredients.

image.png.779474605b8858c4b1f2bf437d8cf08a.png

12 minutes ago, AliG said:

Are this two little pieces of wall structural? I suspect so, otherwise I would have the door swing the other way so you can access the sitting area more easily.

Yeah. Kitchen side is original, "day room" side is an extension done about 50 years ago, 

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I came past @Pocster place today, didn’t see much activity 🤔

I was thinking about what to do . Been like that since Monday . Tomorrow is Thursday so need to wind down as soon Friday . Weekend to recover . Maybe Monday productivity will up a notch …. 🫤

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jayc89 said:

Used DIY Kitchens for our Utility room recently, plan to use them again for our Kitchen. The room itself is approx. 7.5x4.2m half of which is to be used as a day room; sofa, coffee table, tv etc. Garden is north-east as the plan is drawn, there are folding doors to the north-east corner of the room, between Wall A and D. 

I had also considered a peninsula coming off wall A, but I couldn't make it work; fitting in the hob and required units and it not being tight to get through the kitchen door.

Feedback and thoughts most welcome!

Screenshot2023-11-15at08_30_03.thumb.png.5e8f7d913fe8f25281b5d754a199c0e1.png

diy-kitchens-Kitchen_copy-2023-11-15 08_29.png

I think 70cm gap between island worktop and cabinets on right in the "photo" is a bit small?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliG said:

One of the better kitchen layouts I have seen on here.

I think losing the tall corner cupboards is correct. Because of the very short window I think you need to keep the cupboards above the sink otherwise it just looks wrong that the window isn't taller.

You could put a tambour unit in the left hand corner for toaster etc. That would fill the odd space at the end of the run.

The only big issue I see is that you really are a bit short of space on the right hadn't side of the island. It looks like only 70cm, the cupboard doors will swing 60cm into the space. People will get stuck, then all you need is for people to not push chairs in at the island and you will have a right old log jam over there. It will be very difficult to get past someone sitting at the island as their stool will stick out 30-40cm.

I think the mirror image design helps this as it removes a couple of units behind the island.

The mirror image also helps as you will be looking at the door from the hob and not have your back to people coming in.

The tall units also look more impressive as people enter the kitchen.

It also has less cupboard and worktop which will save a couple of grand.

I would seriously consider losing the cupboard under the island in front of the stools and making it 90cm wide. The cupboards will be almost impossible to get to with stool in front and under a large overhang. You are currently perilously close to the island being too large for the kitchen. If you make the spaces around it too narrow, it will make the room feel cramped.

I also say this all the time on kitchen designs. Open up the space nearest to the door. In the original design, if someone comes in to the kitchen they could be presented with an open fridge, someone using the hob and a bunch of kitchen units right in front of them, I assume the door cannot move to the right so you are stuck with this, it is more a general design recommendation. Moving the hob and fridge around to the other side helps with this as would narrowing the island. The busy area of the kitchen should be away from the door.

Basically this without the odd corner unit and I could take or leave the wine rack. A larder cupboard might be better there so you don't have to go round the island to get ingredients.

image.png.779474605b8858c4b1f2bf437d8cf08a.png

The odd corner unit is a corner larder unit, and it's pretty large. They do have a standard one too;

diy-kitchens-Kitchen_v2-2023-11-15 16_05.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Temp said:

I think 70cm gap between island worktop and cabinets on right in the "photo" is a bit small?

It's roughly 95cm down the sides of the island and 1.2m from the end of the island to the sink in the latest design. 

1 minute ago, jayc89 said:

SWMBO has a thing about 2x Dish Washers, she's read it somewhere. I'm not sure we'll actually go with that... 

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 16.16.04.png

Yeah mine ‘fell’ for that . Unload one and use whilst loading the other or some BS . Unless you regularly have 12 for dinner - ones enough .

I really do think the chairs and front of the island are too close to the door. When you swing the door open it is only 50cm from the back of the chairs. If someone was sitting there you couldn't get into the sitting area.

I would take that 1200mm cupboard out from under the island making it 1050mm wide I think. Looks like the 600m wide cupboard is 460mm deep. I'd even go to 900mm wide with a 300mm deep cupboard.

This also means that the 600mm cupboard under the island will be flush with the edge and not tucked back under the worktop which will be very awkward.

I'm a big fan of two dishwashers, that is what we have.

My mate had that Fisher and Paykel one and hated it. Costs about the same as two full size dishwashers. I think he said you had to put a tablet in each drawer.

• Like 1